Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#240107 Oct 24th, 2008 at 05:48 PM
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I'm going to be very busy this spring planting and weeding and watering and other things.

Waiting for fall...
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I couldn't help but laugh at your enthusiasm! I still have fall bulbs that I haven't planted yet lol talk about procrastination! Hopefully I won't have to plant the in the spring grin It's great to think about spring especially after our snow this week!

I'm planning on buying some hardy ground orchids (if the company is still in business next year) and for sure I'll be planting lots of tender perennials (well tender up here anyways...we have to dig them up and keep them inside) So stuff like cannas, callas, dahlias, glads (which I ran out of money for) and of course the brugs that I'm growing from cuting inside right now over winter)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I'm out of money:I've been looking for my first job for over six months and I couldn't find any work.I'll keep on lookin until I find one.My yard is somewhat big so maybe I can plant some roses later.

Waiting for fall...
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
funny how those of us down south seem to complain more about the winter than those of you that really DO have a winter. ha ha.
I'm ready for spring myself! I had to turn my heat on this morning for an hour. didn't like that!
have you thought of maybe doing yards in your area, emde? pulling weeds, raking leaves, mowing, putting out fires (he he)? you might could earn a bit of cash without having to worry about gas expenses ect. and you would like the work.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I don't have a drivers license yet so my mom drives me around.I guess I'll give her $50 a week for gas,maybe more.

Waiting for fall...
1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
I'm going to be busy in spring tending to my daturas and brugs.Maybe they'll get to ten feet?Two meters?

Waiting for fall...
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i'm hoping i can start my big front yard. scott and the sons in law are going to level it for me thumbup

I am going ot plant a butterfly humming bird garden at the cabin, gotta do something it all got wiped out when Ike came thru. So that is my plan... Maybe I should thank Ike for the opportunity,lol.
;)

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
hopefully I will be able to reconfigure how I plant my bed in the back of the house. I think I want to do something other than Pentas (one of the flowers I put out) I need a change. and the white morning glory there does not seem to want to thrive.--perhaps I need a new variety??---Blue??

Also I need to find a place to plant some columbine, I have swapped for. I have read it can work in full sun but when I did that mine died out. why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
I tried the columbine also in a sunny place, it did not do well. Then I tried it in a half and half spot, it did well in that kind of area. I have to come up with something to fill inbetween the peonys in the back of my yard. it is a half and half kinda deal, shaded til about noonthirty or so, then sun all day after that. I don't know, I'll come up with something. Something tall and that fills.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
winddancer--
how about some coneflowers?? they come in various colors so you could decide what color you would like. and over time they will spread a bit, but are not invasive.

________

Juniegirl, Thats a good idea. So far I have been thinking yarrow, fennel since it is supposed to reseed and I love it,lol, and maybe even some bee balm. I am kind of leaning to bee balm. Love the flowers on them and it is a good thing to have to help out the honey bees.... I do love cone flowers to... its a good idea..... thanks!

Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
have you thought of maybe doing yards in your area, emde? pulling weeds, raking leaves, mowing, putting out fires (he he)? you might could earn a bit of cash without having to worry about gas expenses ect. and you would like the work.

Here's an idea that might help your $$ situation. Seems like everyone is getting into the home veggie gardening thing these days. But in reality, many of these folks aren't very successful or experienced gardeners and they get frustrated, or don't have time ... and need help. That's where you come in! So this is sort of an extension of Cricket's idea, but you focus on teaching/helping people put in vegetable gardens and tend them.

If you're interested in doing this, let me know. I started my own little service business doing just that last summer. Unfortunately, I didn't think of the idea until late July so I didn't have a lot of customers (hard to convince folks that digging up a garden in 95 degree weather would be a lot of fun!) but I did have a booth at our local farmers market to advertise the service and now have a good sized mailing list of people who want me to help them this spring. The enthusiasm of folks was amazing!

Good luck!

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
spring planting hold on a minute and I'll get my list lol...

Baby's Breath "Early Snowball - Double Flowered - Gypsophila paniculata
Balloon flower
Beans, Blue Hull
Bean, Pole
Bean, Butterbean
Bean, Bush "Kentucky wonder"
Bean "Venture"
Carnations (Salmon Pink)
Carrots "Nantes Coreless"
Chard, Swiss
Clematis
Clamatis (small lavendar)
Corn, Candy Corn Pop
Corn, Cuttie Pops Pop
Corn, Pop ( Yellow Hulless)
Cosmos
Dianthus
Dianthus (Black Tuxedo)
Dianthus (Ipswich Pinks)
Dill
Dusty Miller
Four O'Clocks
Galardia, Blanket flower
Gourds
Gourd, Large Bird House
Gourd, Small Decorative
Gourd, Bird House
Gourd, Bushel
Gourd, Ornamental
Indigo, (Wild Blue)
Impatien
Jacobs Ladder
Jewels of Opar
Lavatera "Silver Cup" (Pink)
Lettuce "Black Seeded Simpson
Lettuce "Buttercrunch"
Lettuce "Grampa Admire's [butterhead]
Lettuce "Grand Rapids [Leaf]
Lettuce, Loose head type
Lettuce 'Oakleaf'
Lettuce, "Romaine
Lettuce "Salad Bowl"
Lupins
Lupine, Arroyo
Malva Zebrina
Malva "Zebrina" 'Mystic Merlin'
Malva "Zebrina" [Burgandy]
Marigolds "French Vanilla Doubles Dwarf
Marigolds "Dwarf French Mixed"
Marigolds (Yellow)
Marigolds (Yellow & Fluffy)
Marigolds "Snowman"
Marigolds, varigated
Korean Mint - Agastache Rusosa
Mint, Lemon or Purple Horse Mint
Moss rose
Nigeila damascana
Onion, Green
Onion, Yellow
Onion (Red Creole) - Cebola Roxa
Orchid, Peacock
Passion flowers
peppers "Boldog Hungarian Spice"
pepper "Healthy"
pepper, Sweet
Persian Cornflower

I'm out of breath lol but of course there are still the seed that I have that are between p and z lol.

[Linked Image]
plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
That is quite a list Tammy!! lol I don't think that I would be quite so motivated but good for you!! thumbup

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by plantqueen
That is quite a list Tammy!! lol I don't think that I would be quite so motivated but good for you!! thumbup

I am agreeing with Jess, Tammy--but hey I say more power to ya !!!

________

1k Posts
OP Offline
1k Posts
of course I'm interested!Just PM me.

Waiting for fall...
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Well that's the list of what I have to plant. I have no idea how much will get done. I need to dig up the weeds at the fence and make a very deep flower bed for them. And that I can't do unless I find the money to rent a sod cutter. Not something that is likely in this comming year. But I'll get there.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tammy--what if you covered up an area of grass with some plastic and then weighed it down so it will stay where you put it all winter. won't that kill the grass and after some time make it much easier for you to just dig out an area and make a new flower bed. Plastic would be cheaper than renting a machine, right??? You could do a piece at a time. And you could kill grass all year round.

am I thinking right???

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
It's 16 by 16 feet approximately I do have a large tarp but the moment I take it up so that I can plant the weeds would start comming up again and I'd me fighting them while trying to get the plants going. That's not something I'm willing to do again. I'd rather take a great deal longer and cut the weeds/sod out, replace it with amended soil, and then plant in that. It may mean it will be 2010 before I get to it but that's ok I can wait. And if in the meantime I cut a few holes in the sod and plant some things that come my way that's ok too lol. I'm thinking primarily of the mock orange seeds I received recently.

[Linked Image]
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I'm wondering how much shade a columbine can take, I got mine in a shaded in the after noon spot and they do really well there, I've got some places where the shade is heavier, I'm thinging of trying some there.

I got more bulbs to plant and I'm suppose to go did up some kind of bush today from a friends house

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
Patriot
10k Posts
Online Content
Patriot
10k Posts
I have one in an all shade area. It blooms each year but doesn't get very tall.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,920
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image