#241671 Oct 31st, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hey All--

This was the first year I'd planned and had a large veggie garden in a very long time. One of the pieces of information I was trying to find during the planning stage was some idea of how many plants (rows) will yield how much stuff. For example, how many 10' rows of green beans would result in enough to eat over the summer plus enough to freeze, say, 10 pounds of green beans? I know, this is all dependent on many many factors, but I couldn't even find a hint.

So, I decided to just compile my own data base that I could use in planning 2009's summer garden. I recorded everything! And likewise, my husband kept records of everything we put up (although I don't like his system haha).

I've just summarized the summer garden (still waiting on those cauliflower and such). This will come in very handy for me this winter. Right now it's a little depressing-- I thought there'd be more in the freezer-- guess we shouldn't have eaten so much!

If you know of any resource that gives me this type of information, please let me know. In the meanwhile, I hope some of you can make use of this. I'm in zone 6. It was a weird summer, hot early then cooler. Some crops didn't do as well as they might have other wise, and I did over-plant some things.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Marica #241780 Nov 1st, 2008 at 01:58 AM
WOW---
You did a lot a work keeping track of your plantings this summer. I would suggest you continue to do this next year. You need to make comparisons to different years. You might also think about writing down weather conditions, the amount of rainfall, pests, etc. This year was the year of the 17 year locust and they did TERRIBLE damage to young fruit trees and certain other types of trees. Don't remember ever seeing such damage before. Felt like I was living through a Biblical plague. You could hear the sound each day as soon as the sun came up. It was awful. Nighttime, they slept.

Some of the things that you have grown, such as rutabaga, I have never grown, so cannot comment on that. I don't grow things I don't like. String beans will continue to produce and produce and produce, as long as you keep them picked. Melons take up a LOT of space, and though I have grown them, I don't any more. Would rather give that space to flowers, and buy the melons from local people when they are ripe in your area. One of the problems is, that they ship food in from all over the world and people don't realize that things have seasons. If you wait for the season in your area, and get it from locals, it will be the best stuff you ever tasted. I am fortunate to live around Amish families, and thus it is easy to buy things. I could only see your screen down to peppers, so don't know if you had more information or not. Did you grow sweet corn for instance?

Some things it just doesn't pay to start from seed--------tomatoes for instance. Unless you have a place inside to start them in March. They take too long from seed if you wait till you can plant them outside. Other things need a certain temperature for the ground to be so that they germinate at a good time. You will learn many things as you go, but if you are willing, I think keeping track of what you have done, you will find interesting.

You might find it fun, this winter, to go to your local library and look up some books about Thomas Jefferson, our third president. He kept extensive records on many things, gardening being one of them. I have been greatly amazed at the things he wrote down. His records on his slaves is also extensive..............births, deaths, marriages, etc. I have always found the man quite fascinating. You said you are in zone 6, so you may even be living in Virginia. If you are, go and visit Monticello. It is an awesome place.

Hope I have helped. You can always e-mail me with more questions, and I can see if I can help.

Carol

flowergirlcfc #241782 Nov 1st, 2008 at 02:15 AM
ps

ok........I didn't look at your information. I see you are in Cincinnati.........still close enough to go to Virginia and check out Monticello. Something you can do on a weekend. They have many books on Thomas Jefferson that you can buy in their gift shops.

Carol

flowergirlcfc #241796 Nov 1st, 2008 at 06:34 AM
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Hi Carol!

Thanks for that great reply. I will PM you. But in the meantime-- I am a HUGE HUGE fan of good ol' TJ, and for many reasons beyond gardening. He is one of my heros! I've had several occasions to go to Monticello and to the University of Virginia (which he conceived and designed). He was an amazing person.

Marica

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,904
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image