Rate Thread
#242806 Nov 6th, 2008 at 05:55 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I don't know a lot about birds, but I thought I read where cardinals didn't migrate. my cardinal family I"ve been feeding all summer long is gone! are they gone or maybe eating some berries or something that are in bloom now? I miss them!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #242841 Nov 6th, 2008 at 07:47 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Mine aren't coming as often, either. Right now they are taking advantage of the abundant crop of natural food, but when that runs low and it turns colder they will be back. ALSO, Cardinals do NOT feed all day. They feed very early in the morning and late in the afternoon, near dark. Look for them at these times.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the males have a very large territory and they will make a new nest in a new spot once the current babies have flown the coop. sometimes the new spot is close to the previous one and other times it's further away.

if you put food out for them, they will continue to visit - especially when the usual/wild stuff is in short supply - so, it's important to make sure your feeders are continually full. it may be a bit before they come back...they will be back though and if they find the feeders empty too many times they will go searching in other spots and eventually stop returning, so keep the feeders full.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #243110 Nov 8th, 2008 at 11:48 AM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Cool. glad to know they'll back. I got quite attached to them. I watched the babies grow into juviniles.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image