Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#237599 Oct 8th, 2008 at 07:32 PM
OP Offline
I inherited these little babies and have no idea what they are and therefore not sure how to care for them...ok I can not seem to post the pics! :( I would describe both as looking like confetti although one's leaves are thicker w/ red yellow and green in the leaves! The other is thinner and the leaves curl a lot more the colors are strictly green and yellow! I do have pics if I could send them or if someone could tell me how to post!!!

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Hi there and welcome to the forum! wavy

A guide to posting picture is on here, just click right //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/30267#Post30267

This will teach you how to do it! Hope to see the pictures soon.....

Loz

#237643 Oct 9th, 2008 at 09:48 AM
OP Offline
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/nmargiolas/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDguanBn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/nmargiolas/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNDkuanBn.jpg

Ok I hope these pics give u all an idea! The first is the red which is fuller with thicker leaves. The second only consists of 3 shoots growing up and they are very think and spindley. I would love to make them thrive as they are neat but not sure what to do or what they are!

Last edited by nicolemarie; Oct 9th, 2008 at 09:59 AM.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
the pic of the red one is too blurry to make out what it is.

the other one is a philodendron - i have the name at home, i'll post it later.

it's one of the viney types so you can either let it trail over the side of the container or put some kind of trellis in and train it up on that. you can use a plastic trellis, bend bamboo piece or even just a piece of 1 x 4.

use a well-draining soil - i use a mix of regular plain potting soil and orchid mix (the kind with bits of bark and charcoal). the container needs drainage holes! water thoroughly when soil is still almost dry. bright indirect light and don't let it get cold.

Zone 6b
OP Offline
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/nmargiolas/utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTMuanBn.jpg

Here is a better pic than first!

Also I am going to try to take another of the second because it is not a philodenron. Its a baby exotic tree of some sort! It literally looks like confetti or curly ribbon shooting off a thin stalk. I will try to take another in the meantime here is a better one of the red that was blury last time

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
the first one is croton. i'll find the instructions on how to grow them, but they do like bright light.

#237748 Oct 9th, 2008 at 06:37 PM
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Crotons are beautiful I am not sure exatly on how to care for them.. But if you could tell us what state and zone u live in that'd help with the instuctions. I live in south florida zone 9 and they grow massive outside in sunny areas...

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
I have a croton! (I call it a "frog plant") All I ever do to it is water it about once a week and it grows like crazy. It has 5x'd it's size since I bought it. After I got it, I searched google and everyone was saying they were so hard to take care of, but it has been my easiest one.

I wonder if you have 2 different varieties of crotons there.

If I had a wish that I could wish for you, I'd make a wish for sunshine all the while!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
yes, two kinds of crotons. there are quite a few varieties actually. i had a few myself, but forgot to water them egad

#244679 Nov 16th, 2008 at 07:43 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
dunno why i said the second one was a phil...musta been looking at something else and thought it was yours...

definitely both are crotons.

i have one (different than yours) and i find it very easy to care for. it likes to be kept fairly evenly moist and it'll get droopy if it dries out too much. indirect bright sun.

Zone 6b
Crotons are really nice. I also have one at home and apart from water they don't need much. I don't have a green finger generally, but this plant grows like wild in my living room :-)

Wow that is a great pictures of yours... thanks for sharing us that....

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: removed link

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,900
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image