Print Thread
Rate Thread
#244202 Nov 15th, 2008 at 09:15 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
I can't find our book thread. If I've missed it someone with the power please move this.

I just finished One Thousand White Women. I loved it.

Bestofour #244609 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:08 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Guess I'm talking to myself here. Or should I say reading to myself.

Bestofour #244612 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:12 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
I didn't see the thread, Sheri.....
IU am reading a culinary mystery.....Sweet Revenge--by Diane Mott Davidson.

the storys are kinda lame, but I enjoy the backround story of the main charachter's life.

the lady is a caterer with a teen aged son and a DH that is a police inspector of some sort. She solves murders... why

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #244613 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:15 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have read several of her books. They are lightweight entertainment. I like lightweight entertainment. I have read no books lately. Just cookbooks. I can't get into any stories right now. I am so scatter-brained with other things going on.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #244628 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:40 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i love her books. and have copied some of the recipe's in them.

Tina #244634 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:46 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I recently read a childrens novel (to my son) by lois lowry. it was called the messenger. I SO enjoyed it! it is from a series of books that take place after the apocolyps. after some big nuclear war those people who survived are sent away to these villages if they have deformaties and are paired up with others - to help each other out. he just got another book of the same series tittled the giver. I'm anxious to read that one as well. in these books, when a child is born they are given a one sylable name. once they are teenagers they tweek their name so it's two sylables. then once they are considered to be an adult they get a title...hence the tittles of the books...'the messenger'...'the giver'.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #244635 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:47 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Sounds like something I might like to read.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
#244638 Nov 16th, 2008 at 05:50 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
a few years ago when Valarie watched a child during the summer, her mom had all kinds of books. She told Val to take whatever she wanted.
Val happened to pick up a few of the Goldy Bear Schultz books for me. Luckily, I picked up the first one written first. after that I read them all in order. The problem is, I now have them all or most until the one I am reading---it came from the library. But I will not be re-reading them.

\and I too have several of the recipes. very good !!!

________

JunieGirl #244645 Nov 16th, 2008 at 06:04 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
carol jean, I don't re read books either. I donate the ones I read to the library. they either enter them and shelve them or put them in a shopping cart that sits by the door for 'freebie' books. we've gotten a lot of good books from the freebie basket, as well as donating to it.

Cricket

cricket #244690 Nov 16th, 2008 at 08:01 PM
Well, that book about One Thousand White Women that Bestofour mentioned at the top of the thread sounds really good. ...the author has a very close friend who is a chiropractor, I guess- or if not, he soon will have.

Ouch-go for it, brother :)

I'm reading Stephen White's Dry Ice at the moment, and James Lee Burkes's Swan Peak. I wish I could find an aussie author or two that are worth reading, but that breed has died out, it seems.

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I am re-reading C.J. Cherryh's Chanur series for the umpteenth time. This is probably the best sci-fi read for sheer escapism I have EVER read. And Shirley, C.J. Cherryh lives in Tulsa.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
cricket #244705 Nov 16th, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
carol jean, I don't re read books either. I donate the ones I read to the library. they either enter them and shelve them or put them in a shopping cart that sits by the door for 'freebie' books. we've gotten a lot of good books from the freebie basket, as well as donating to it.

I didn't mean to mis-lead you cricket. I definatley re-read books but only certain ones.
Like say my Nero Wolfe by Rex Stout or my Agatha Christy ones.

I tried to donte some of my books to the library here--I have just about the whole line of a mystery series I do not wish to keep. The librarian seems put out--and then said well I guess we could put them on our book sale this summer.---so they are still in my house waiting for a avid mystery reader.

________

JunieGirl #244829 Nov 17th, 2008 at 05:55 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I can't imagine a library getting put out by someone offering them books???

Cricket

cricket #256723 Jan 14th, 2009 at 01:42 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I just finished the first book in the 2 book (so far) series about knitting, by Kate Jacobs - The Friday Night Knitting Club . It is about a knitting shop owner and all the people that come into her life. The end was rather sad for me, but I had a good brief cry, and look forward to starting the next book later today.

I wanted to mention how the book begins each new chapter. Each one has a page where a knitting term is defined. But it's not just how it applies to knitting, but to life in general as well.

I really liked the one about "binding off" and put it in my signature line here - and if you read it carefully she is really talking about letting go of our children once they reach maturity. I say touche to Kate Jacobs. thumbup

For those of you not familiar with knitting terms, binding off is what one does when finishing a project and taking the stitches off the needles.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yessssssssss I get your sig Line Now!!!!!!! I've read it three times since you put it there,,,, NOWWWW I get it,,
You have to let your children go when they are of age, but if the bonds are strong, they will forever be in your reach, linked with Love,, luv

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Kate Jacobs. that name sounds familiar. I bet I've read one of her books too. does she also write crochette or sewing books?

I just finished a great book by lois lowery. it's a childrens novel (my son got me hooked on this series) It's called gathering blue. it is from a series of books that take place in the future after the apocolpys.

Cricket

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Interesting Diane - my take was that they need to be able to stand on their own - "exist on its own, supporting itself". "Pulled away from the needles without coming apart" - being able to live away from the parents and survive on their own. But yes - "looping the stitches across" so there are still connections.

I really like the way she made this analogy between the story line and knitting term.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
It's interesting how people write about what they love as a hobbie and make it intersting to everyone.

Bestofour #256815 Jan 14th, 2009 at 06:22 PM
The book that I'm reading right now, Everlost, is pretty good. It's about these two kids that get into a car accident and get stuck in Everlost, the world between the living and the dead. Last night I finished Under the Jolly Roger.

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I have The Secret Life of Bees on hold right now....you know the one that was made into a movie with Alicia Keys and Dakota Fanning......a change from my usual vampire/time travel/fantasy books. But I read all sorts really.

#256863 Jan 15th, 2009 at 05:55 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
OP Offline
Patriot
10k Posts
Let me know what you think of that Loz. There was so much hype to the book that I was disappointed.

plantqueen
Unregistered
plantqueen
Unregistered
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
I just finished the first book in the 2 book (so far) series about knitting, by Kate Jacobs - The Friday Night Knitting Club . It is about a knitting shop owner and all the people that come into her life. The end was rather sad for me, but I had a good brief cry, and look forward to starting the next book later today.

I wanted to mention how the book begins each new chapter. Each one has a page where a knitting term is defined. But it's not just how it applies to knitting, but to life in general as well.

I really liked the one about "binding off" and put it in my signature line here - and if you read it carefully she is really talking about letting go of our children once they reach maturity. I say touche to Kate Jacobs. thumbup

For those of you not familiar with knitting terms, binding off is what one does when finishing a project and taking the stitches off the needles.

Sounds like a good book, Lynne! I will have to find that one. I have been reading Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's books. I really like them. Just got done with Free Range Knitter.

#256963 Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:34 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Have any of you ever read any of the Elizabeth Peters books? Especially the Amelia Peabody series. My son and I got hooked on her stuff back when he was 16 ( he is 32 now) and we have been giving one another copies of her books now ever year. Depends on which one of gets her latest book first.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Willowfairy
The book that I'm reading right now, Everlost, is pretty good. It's about these two kids that get into a car accident and get stuck in Everlost, the world between the living and the dead.

now that sounds pretty interesting!

Cricket

Bestofour #257893 Jan 19th, 2009 at 07:27 AM
I am reading "New Moon" by Stephenie meyer. It's the second book of the twilight saga, and i've just finished reading "Twilight".

Bestofour #259152 Jan 26th, 2009 at 08:14 AM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Bestofour
Let me know what you think of that Loz. There was so much hype to the book that I was disappointed.

I actually liked it.....at times it was a little slow/boring/weird. But overall I liked it. Not in my top favorites though.

#259262 Jan 26th, 2009 at 04:55 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I read elizabeth peters the local library has her entire collection. She repeats quite a bit which gives me problems through each book but by the time I'm through with one I can't wait to get my hands on the next one. So with her it is a love hate relationship.

I'm also reading Anne Perry and her monk series. I'm loving it.

Then I finally got around to reading Memiors of a Geisha. I told the librarian that I'm going to buy that book. She says there are some on your paperback racks but I couldn't find one. She said she would look for it and put it with my reserved books when they come in. Woohoo for me. That was one fantastic book. So I've reserved "Geisha" an anthropological cultural study of geisha. That was written by the only american geisha. I can't wait to get my hands on that one.

I also got a bunch of books on wood working basics and how to build a shop. I'm still trying to figure out how to best utilize my shed. It's the only place on the entire property that looks to be to small. Tells you where my interest lie doesn't it?

Lets see in the last group of books from the library was also one on egyptology. It was an older book and it's amazing how much polution has damaged egyptian artifacts just in the last 90 years. The current pictures of the same artifacts are sad by comparison to what they looked like in the 1920 and 1930.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image