Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#2450 Mar 24th, 2007 at 08:58 PM
OP Offline
How do I keep squirrels from biting off my tulips? Is there some solution that I can put around the tulips to keep the squirrels away? They don't eat the blooms, they just bite them off. I don't know if they like the bright colors or what? HELP

charmon329
charmon329 #2476 Mar 24th, 2007 at 09:51 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
The only thing that I have found to work for me is to sprinkle Milorganite around my plants - we have squirrels, deer, and woodchucks that have insatiable appetites for my plants and flowers! Milorganite is a fertilizer that is actually made from human waste I have heard - it really stinks, but does a good job of keeping the critters away!

Last edited by plants 'n pots; Mar 24th, 2007 at 09:52 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
charmon329 #14447 Apr 4th, 2007 at 01:48 PM
Hello I am not sure if this would help or not but I was having problems with rabbits or deer not sure got them both and I laid down a piece of sheer?curtains down and it kept them from eating my stuff? That may help you out?

THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Try draping some bird netting over the bed, they can not see it and it freaks them out when the touch it. If worst comes to worst, check your local regs, but in most states you can trap them with a live trap and release them out in the woods somewhere. I had a big problem 2 years ago with the dang bushy tailed tree rats eating my sunflowers just as the sprouted, and digging up and munch on all my lily bulbs.
The best solution by far is to turn a negative into a positive and whip yourself up and nice batch of squirrel stew! ;)

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
1k Posts
1k Posts
Squirrels are attracted to brightly colored flowers, yes.
Can you feed them to keep the away from your garden?
I fed mine apples and birdseed every day and kept a shallow pan of clean water for them-for the most part they left my plants alone.
I had 13 squirrels where I used to live. When the condo complex put out poison traps I sneaked out and removed the traps immediately. Never got caught !

Last edited by DeborahL; Apr 5th, 2007 at 02:57 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,883
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image