Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#245657 Nov 23rd, 2008 at 06:40 AM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, the sharp shinned hawk has retunred to my yard in search of a tasty meal. He was here most of the day and the birds were nowhere to be seen. The squirrels were a bit wary too until several of them got fed up and one went out on the branch the hawk was on and charged it. The hawk flew up onto the fence and a second squirrel took a run at it and chased it off into a nearby holly tree. That was yesterday and when I let the dogs out this morning the hawk was back on the fence but took off for the holly tree when the dogs made their commotion. No birds anywhere so they know he is in the tree ready to pounce.

debnoel #245661 Nov 23rd, 2008 at 07:26 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
How MARVELOUS!......Attack squirrels! How much do you sell them for?

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #246002 Nov 26th, 2008 at 06:41 AM
debnoel Offline OP
OP Offline
The hawk is back and has had stand off with the squirrels. They were about 3 feet from each other on the back fence and the squirrel was chattering and stomping. The hawk turned to face the squirrel and they stared at each other for a few minutes and the squirrel flinched first. He went into the bush and the hawk just sat there. Round one -- hawk. The hawk has not had any luck with getting a meal. The blue jays most likely announced his arrival and there is not a bird in sight.

debnoel #253126 Dec 31st, 2008 at 11:09 PM
Do you have any crows around? A lot of times crows will get fed up with the predator and a few will start harassing the predator until they move on to another hunting spot. But your squirrels might have this guy taken care of!

Hello! I'm new!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,881
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image