Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
rickus Offline OP
OP Offline
every winter we bring in plants for the winter and in come the nats or small flies help me to eliminate them please
rickus

Anything I bring in from the outside to winter over in the house gets sprayed with an insecticidal soap before it comes in. My gardenia ofter needs another spraying midway through the winter.

Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Twinkie the Kid
1k Posts
Hi,
You cn get a small jar or cup put some vinegar in it and put plastic wrap tightly over the top and poke holes in it big enough for them to get through and thell wander in there and die.

Or you can do the same thing with some dish soap just a lil bit with water and do the same with the plastic wrap thell get in there fall down and die.

either one works fine!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

pleaseee... Betty Crocker aint got nothing on me =)
I have little nats in my house plsnts dirt what can I do to get rid of them?????

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
the little gnats can be gotten rid of with play sand or aquarium gravel on top of the soil.

Good idea about the gravel. I have a problem with these little flies in my soil. also I think it's tiny aphids that I have that I can't seem to get rid of. I shower my plants over and over and it does no good. I hate using poison, but I'll have to do something. Any ideas? Thank you.
Linda T.

Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i soak my plants in a bucket of water to drown anything i can. i usually leave them in the bucket about 2 hours, then drain well, and resume watering as they dry out.

Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
I spray the plant and soil with a natural insecticidal soap before bringing them in.
Works great safe for use in house. I hated getting bugs in the house.. What am I talking about We live in the woods and a log home, bugs think it is there home! haha

[Linked Image]
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
This year I was lazy and brought mine in without the usual dunking....I had a zillion fungus gnats....I just kept killing them and now the weather is colder I haven't noticed any for a long time. thumbup

I used a soap stuff I got from home depot, supposed to be natural. Of course I started bringin them in before I knew about the stuff so, for weeks I had those little gnat thingys. Took everything outside again, soaked em down and gave em a good shot of that stuff.. so far so good. I do like that vinegar n water trick. I'll be doing that today. Thanks!

Do you spray the vinger and water on your plant?

Gah! I have 3 plants total in my room (mint, bamboo, and an aralia), they get lots of light and grow great even during the winter since my room is always 75+. But I use organic soil, and now my room is completely taken over by these gnats!

Does that gravel and sand thing work? The gnats don't seem to mind climbing around on everything and anything!

--Thex
They are fungus gnats... fruit fly traps will not work. The best treatment is to drench the soil with beneficial nematodes to control the larvae. For the adults you can use yellow sticky cards to trap them. The adults are attracted to yellow.

here is more info Fungus gnats

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image