Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#246001 Nov 26th, 2008 at 06:35 AM
OP Offline
Can anyone help me? I'm sort of a newbie.
I've had my Echinacea for about a month. I got it from a Poor Boys on a perennial clearance sale. It was in sort of bad shape when I got it, but it got better. It was doing fine up until about a week ago when it started to wilt away. I don't know what to do, can it be saved??? boohoo

[Linked Image]

--Thex
ThexUnoriginal #246050 Nov 26th, 2008 at 01:42 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Echinaceas (aka coneflowers) are meant to be outdoor plants. I see you have it in a bright window. I would suggest putting it outside. It's snowing up here, and I don't know how it is where you're at. You can try putting it in a cool place that won't freeze and thaw constantly (uheated garage) and bring it out when your tulips start blooming

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #246051 Nov 26th, 2008 at 01:43 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Also, make sure the plant is in a well draining medium. They can take drier soil easier than constantly wet soil

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #246178 Nov 26th, 2008 at 09:26 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I agree with Kenny,,
so sorry,, this happened to you but there is a plus side, ,, the flower when left to dry will provide you seeds,, DONOT cut off the flower let it dry up.,( the flower Not the soil neccessarily),, when it is completely dry collect the seeds from it and plant ,, in the late winter inside in a peat seed starting medium so when spring time comes you'll have several new cone flower plant to plant outside,, thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #246180 Nov 27th, 2008 at 02:14 AM
OP Offline
That's a bright side at least, Angel.
I couldn't plant it outside by the time I got it, everything had started freezing over. I was hoping to keep it alive until the spring.
I'll try what you said Kenny, thank you both so so much!

--Thex

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image