Rate Thread
#246880 Nov 30th, 2008 at 02:12 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
We went to payless shoes this afternoon. the boy has already tore up his shoes he got at the beginning of the school year. and his feet are growing so fast he had no back up pair. anyway, we heard payless was having their buy one get one half off. hubby needed a pair of work boots so I thought we'd get a really good deal. well, hubbies work boots cost forty bucks. but then the boy forgot to wear socks so I had to buy a 7 dollar bag of socks for him to try on shoes. then the boy picks out a pair of 12 dollar shoes that he wants. SO, we only got 6 bucks off our purchase! does that stink or what? madd

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #246882 Nov 30th, 2008 at 02:16 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Note to self.......Check for clean socks.
I am sorry, Cricket. That does stink. Our payless has little bootie type socks for try-on purposes. I would have made my son wear a pair.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #246887 Nov 30th, 2008 at 02:27 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
all they had at this payless was hose for try on purposes. ha ha. no way macho boy would have worn a pair of those.
and yes, I should have asked him if he had on socks before we left the house. but geezzzzz.....it's winter time! wear socks always!

Cricket

cricket #246888 Nov 30th, 2008 at 02:30 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Ah,such is the frustration of getting ripped off.

Waiting for fall...
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
the commercials make it look SOOOOO good.

Cricket

cricket #246926 Nov 30th, 2008 at 04:47 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Doesn't at all sound to me as though PAYLESS "stuck it to" you, Cricket! It sounds more like CIRCUMSTANCES got the best of you.

I shop at Payless all the time for the great sales AND for the fact that they have the most options for getting a good fit for my prosthetic foot.

Write a "note to self" (Maxi does that all the time!) "Check socks before going shoe shopping!"

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #246937 Nov 30th, 2008 at 05:43 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Weird, out here our Payless has "shoesocks", they're like temporary nylons; they're free and are like every 8 feet on the little bar holding up the shoe isles... no socks, put on a shoesock and try on a shoe :P...

And what I find amusing is when people are all "I'm a guy, I can't wear a nylon" but they never sit and think that guys used to wear teights all the time... and a lot of things are made of nylon ;)

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
yea, circumstances got the best of me, merme! your right.
and a lot of it is mental. if the same shoe the boy had picked out was 40 dollars and we got a 20 dollar discount and the total amt spent was the same, I'd have felt like a got a better deal. I guess it was the fact I only got 6 bucks off my purchase.....then the 7 dollar socks and the 4 dollar tax. (does that make any sense? ms. cricket is rambling again) ha ha

Cricket

cricket #246945 Nov 30th, 2008 at 06:02 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Honestly I would've took one of my socks off and said here, put this on and try the shoe on! lol

I like Payless, always find some good deals there. thumbup

#246948 Nov 30th, 2008 at 06:05 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
HOLY COW, LOZ! Where are you when I need you???
that would have been a great idea!

Cricket

cricket #246951 Nov 30th, 2008 at 06:12 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You will think of it the next time Cricket. I never thought of that either. Loz is a smart shopper. When I win the lottery (I don't often play) I will hire Loz to be my personal online shopper.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Merme #246952 Nov 30th, 2008 at 06:12 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Doesn't at all sound to me as though PAYLESS "stuck it to" you, Cricket! It sounds more like CIRCUMSTANCES got the best of yo

Merme

that's how I see it too Merme,, ,, I don't believe I would have bought a whole pak of socks, as opposed to asking for a nylon footie to use to try on a shoe and making sure the shoe is loose enough to accommodate for the heavier socks at home, , Since they didn 't have the nylon footies I would have only bought one pair of black or brown dress socks for men that they sale,,, or as Loz said Give him your own,,,, But a whole package wouldn't of happened UNless he needed them anyway,,,,, I know with those type of sales you have to pay for the more expensive pair,,,,, the less price is free,,,, I'd try to stay within, the same price range to make it even,,,, :wink: asnother lesson to him would that he wouldn't have gotten a pair then .
I would cuz I had the socks on,,, lol

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Tina #246953 Nov 30th, 2008 at 06:29 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by jonni13
Loz is a smart shopper. When I win the lottery (I don't often play) I will hire Loz to be my personal online shopper.

when I win the lottery I will hire loz to be my personal assistant! lol

Cricket

cricket #246978 Nov 30th, 2008 at 07:50 PM
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
You know, one reason I DONT shop at PayLess is because I see people all the time shoving their dirty feet into the shoes without a footie... Honestly here, we HAVE the nylons, but no one bothers to wear them; and we only have like 1-2 workers who're often busy talking on their cellphones than paying attention to their job... lol..

I went into Payless one night and actually demanded that they get me a "fresh pair" from the back :P..

I blaime the obsessive compulsiveness in me ;)...

If you'd like to learn more about my family and I, you can do so at Corthell.net [corthell.net]!
1k Posts
1k Posts
I don't buy shoes at PayLess because I wear them out in a month. I have to get more durable shoes that actually last a school year.

Waiting for fall...
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
Online Cool
Mr. James
The Gnome Wrangler
3k Posts
I spent $120 on a pair of Doc Martin boots... Lasted me 3 years already :P...

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes good shoes always seem to do better in the long run--and they are so much b etter to your feet I find---however coming up with the $$$$ is not always so much fun

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
I usually get my shoes at The Shoe Dept. It is a store in our mall. They almost always have New Balance sneakers on sale for like $40 and since they are the only sneaker that fits my foot well, I don't mind paying that much for them. I usually have to buy a new pair of sneakers every year. this year a new Famous Footwear store opened near us so they had a BOGO 1/2 sale going on. I bought 2 new pairs of NB sneakers, Stephen got a pair of sneaks and Maddie got a pair...guess whose shoes were 1/2 off. lol But that was ok....they were cute.

[Linked Image]
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Carol Jean ~ my EX is terribly hard on shoes. No matter how much we spent on them or what brand, he would wear them out completely in 6 weeks! Plus, because he wears a 13EEE, he can be hard to fit. Keeping shoes on his feet was always the toughest job! I was really frustrated when the $80 pair didn't last any longer than the $30 or $40 pairs would!!

Me, I can buy a pair for $5 and they will last me forever. I've always been that way, even when I walked a great deal. Now that I don't walk much, I sometimes buy shoes just for a change of pace in style and not because mine have worn out. I don't often wear my custom prescription shoes because they are U-G-L-Y unless I plan to be serious walking. My doc knows how vain I am and just shakes his head whenever I show up in girly girl shoes. lol

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #247179 Dec 2nd, 2008 at 04:02 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I NEVER wear sneakers.....EVER. Although I have some, and took them to WA with me because I figured I might need them. I prefer boots in the winter, I have a lot of them. Or even clog style shoes that I can slip on and off fast. My last sneakers were bought from the Reebok outlet 2 years ago and they still look brand new. lol I wanted Nike's but they never fit me right.....Reeboks do.

In the summer I LIVE in flip flops and sandals. My best friend wears socks and sneakers most of the summer and I'm always like, get some flip flops on and air those feet of yours out---it's summer! lol

Merme #247189 Dec 2nd, 2008 at 04:51 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Carol Jean ~ my EX is terribly hard on shoes. No matter how much we spent on them or what brand, he would wear them out completely in 6 weeks! Plus, because he wears a 13EEE, he can be hard to fit. Keeping shoes on his feet was always the toughest job! I was really frustrated when the $80 pair didn't last any longer than the $30 or $40 pairs would!!

Me, I can buy a pair for $5 and they will last me forever. I've always been that way, even when I walked a great deal. Now that I don't walk much, I sometimes buy shoes just for a change of pace in style and not because mine have worn out. I don't often wear my custom prescription shoes because they are U-G-L-Y unless I plan to be serious walking. My doc knows how vain I am and just shakes his head whenever I show up in girly girl shoes. lol
Merme

I am like you , merme--but I am haviong toe problems--and I think a clog type slip on made of good leather is in order-----

MY DH has big feet as well---usually an 11 EEE. and yes. I agree, they are extrememly hard to find. when we do find them we often go back and buy another pair of the same shoe once Rod is sure they do actually "work". we have bought $100.00 shoes that were no good and we have bought $30.00 shoes that are jsut the ticket----and so yes it depends on the shoe, and the person's feet.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
my hubby is very hard on shoes. he stands by the fact that it is not who makes the shoe or where you buy them but how they are made. he has to have shoes or boots that are both sewn and stitched. sewn and stitched shoes/boots are also hard to find.

Cricket

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image