Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#247168 Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:40 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone, I love gardens and plants but unfortunately I'm not very good at it, so I've joined hoping for some tips and ideas.

We try and garden for wildlife, so we are organic, which causes it's own problems as we struggle trying to get rid of pests and weeds. I'm looking forward to chatting and with any luck, picking a few brains!!

Dawn
Benjismum #247173 Dec 2nd, 2008 at 01:18 PM
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to meet you.

I'm sure you will find some useful tips here to help with your organic efforts.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #247235 Dec 2nd, 2008 at 08:56 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
welcome benjismum wavy we're glad to have you, we have quite a few uk gardeners here!

flowersforindia #247274 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 05:32 AM
OP Offline
Erm, I thought at first 'wow' then realised what had happened - is this a troll or a bot or something?

Merme and Jiffymouse thanks for your welcome

Dawn
Benjismum #247276 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 05:40 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I thought the same thing Benj. actually I saw how many responses there already were and decided not to post a hello. every now and then something like that slips through, although our moderators are pretty good at catching stuff like that right away.
Well, Hello and welcome! we do have several from the UK, and lots of organic gardeners. we look forward to chatting with you.

Last edited by cricket; Dec 3rd, 2008 at 05:41 AM. Reason: add word

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Benjismum #247277 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 05:44 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by Benjismum
Erm, I thought at first 'wow' then realised what had happened - is this a troll or a bot or something?

Merme and Jiffymouse thanks for your welcome

Hi Benjismum..... Welcome to the Gardenhelper, Pick our Brains,, we love that, so pick away,,, lol

and Yessssssss, Flowersforindia is here advertising,,,, rolz and one of the Hostess'es will handle that, so sorry they hijacked your Intro,,,,

Jump on in here Benjismum we welcome you and Happy Holidays!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #247279 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 05:51 AM
OP Offline
Hi Angelblossom and Cricket, thanks for your comments. I see you are both from Texas, I visited Texas for the first time in April, and absolutely loved it. I was surprised by how green it was, as a hot area I expected it to be more sparsely vegetated. We needed much more time though, as we didn't realise quite how HUGE it is!!

Dawn
Benjismum #247282 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 06:05 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Well Yes Texas is Huge!,, it takes longer for me to drive the length of Tx then it does for me to cross two states to Go visit home in Kansas,, lol
It is pretty much green here 9-10 months out of the year,, of course depending what part of Tx we're living in,, I love it here, as far as the weather goes,, But it does require a lot of watering,, in the hottest time of the summer,, notme Hey Good to know you've already been in Tx, thumbup ..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #247349 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 05:43 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup all fixed grin and the spammer is poofed lol

#247393 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 09:23 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Welcome benjismum----I think you will be very glad you found us.---

I am glad the spammer is gone----Thanks Jiffy---- kissie

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Benjismum #247402 Dec 3rd, 2008 at 11:22 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi Benjismum, welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it here.

I mostly like to avoid chemicals in the garden, especially as we have children and pets. So I like to hear about ways of doing that.

One of our biggest callenges here is keeping the garden alive; we've had 11 years of drought. I know what sort of summer it was generally in the UK, and believe it or not, we want one like that!!

Eternity
JunieGirl #247511 Dec 4th, 2008 at 07:38 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Hi Benjismum! I'm Thornius in Nashville, TN, U.S.A. My son-in-law is from Scotland. He and my daughter go there frequently to visit his family. They live in Falkirk. I am the wild bird fanatic here and spend all my time studying and researching birds all over the world. Late at night I watch the LIVE feeder cams of the RSPB in Abernethy Forest in Northeastern Scotland. My daughter will be going there this month and will try to get on the camera live. If you have any questions about birds you can find me on the Bird Lover Section of the forum. Welcome to the forum!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #247560 Dec 5th, 2008 at 07:59 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for fixing the spammer Jiffymouse, and thanks for the welcomes Juniegirl, Stevie G, and Thornius. This is truly an international site, I hadn't realised. Stevie if only I could give you some of our rain, we had another local flood this week, when all the snow melted.

Thornius, we have something in common, I love birdwatching too, I regularly visit the Abernethy cams hoping to see a Crested Tit, but no luck yet! On my recent trip to Texas we also cruised to the Caribbean and I saw my first ever Hummingbirds, and Frigate birds (Wow), not to mention loads of new birds in Texas itself. I'm sure I will have loads of questions for you - so be warned :wink:

Last edited by Benjismum; Dec 5th, 2008 at 08:01 AM.

Dawn
Benjismum #247699 Dec 5th, 2008 at 07:35 PM
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Glad to have you here with us! And yes it is very much an International site. I live in the US now but I was born in Lancashire, near Manchester. thumbup

Very relieved that we just got the Christmas Crackers we ordered. You can't find them in any stores over here so we have to order a lot of English specialty stores. thumbup Can't find Christmas pudding here either.

Thorny will be great at your questions! He's our resident bird expert here. thumbup

So glad you found us.

[Linked Image]

Laura wavy

#247827 Dec 6th, 2008 at 06:08 AM
OP Offline
Hi Loz, nice to know there is another Midlander here thumbup Wot no crackers or Christmas pud zoink glad you've got them now!

I have a question which I've been wanted to ask an expat for ages, hope you don't mind - how do you manage with the cheese over there? We founds loads of wonderful food on our trips to the US, (apples especially are so much better than over here) but we struggled to find 'normal' cheese. Perhaps we just went to the wrong shops?

Dawn
Benjismum #248128 Dec 7th, 2008 at 08:23 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Hey! We have Cheddar! The best is Cracker barrel Extra sharp (Extra Strong) Cheddar. We also have Colby a medium, crumbly, Cheddar. And I LOVE Jarlsberg cheess (but that one is from Norway and is expensive here). I have a friend i Norway who likes Jarlsberg.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #248172 Dec 7th, 2008 at 01:34 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
On the subject of cheese, can you get 'Perfect Italiano' parmesan in the UK and US? It comes in a wedge or block shape here. If you see that, you should snaffle some, because it is just the best cheese!

I read a story the other day that in the UK, Wallace and Gromit single-handedly restored the flagging fortunes of one type of cheese- was it gorgonzola?

Eternity
stevie_g #248231 Dec 7th, 2008 at 06:04 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
we do have that cheese here stevie. but i don't eat it. my son cooks with it.

#248258 Dec 7th, 2008 at 06:29 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
You are wise not to start on it, Jiffy, because it is addictive (and a bit expensive)! A bit like gardening, really....

Eternity
stevie_g #248297 Dec 7th, 2008 at 10:04 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I've had Gastric Bypass surgery and HAVE to eat High protein. I use a LOT of cheese; HIGH Protein, easy on my new TINY stomach. I like Swiss-type cheeses like Lorraine, Jarlsberg, and, of course, Swiss. Cheddars are my other favorite cheeses.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #248305 Dec 8th, 2008 at 04:29 AM
OP Offline
Thornius my husbands favourite is Cracker Barrel, I've never heard of Jarlsberg though. Stevie, we certainly get Parmesan but not sure about that make, I will have to look out for it, I think it was Wensleydale that Wallace & Gromit promoted (unintentionally!)

I just love a proper stinky french Camembert on crusty bread, with a nice red wine..mmmm.

Dawn
Benjismum #248313 Dec 8th, 2008 at 06:28 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Traveling and trying to find familiar foods is fun. But even familiar foods in different lands can have a different 'spin' on the flavor or texture. I spent 6 weeks in New Zealand the last visit. The thing I had difficulty finding that were close to 'home' cooked was bacon. And going to a restaurant that has gone international is fun too. Do not expect a pizza from Pizza Hut to taste exactly the same overseas. Or even a Mac Donald's burger. And there a foods to be had there that I wish were available here. But that all adds to the travel adventure.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Benjismum #248345 Dec 8th, 2008 at 01:49 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Benjismum
Thornius my husbands favourite is Cracker Barrel, I've never heard of Jarlsberg though. Stevie, we certainly get Parmesan but not sure about that make, I will have to look out for it, I think it was Wensleydale that Wallace & Gromit promoted (unintentionally!)

I just love a proper stinky french Camembert on crusty bread, with a nice red wine..mmmm.

Yes, it was probably Wensleydale.

Agreed on the cheese, crusty bread and red wine! My dad recently introduced me to some stinky cheese. If I buy that I've got it to myself. My girls (including my wife) complain it smells like someone's feet!!

Eternity
stevie_g #248456 Dec 9th, 2008 at 12:58 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Hi There, I am from the UK and not too many miles from you!!!!
Doncaster. I hope to see you around the forum .

[Linked Image]
glenda #248458 Dec 9th, 2008 at 01:30 PM
OP Offline
Hi Glenda, thanks for the comments, I was in Donny last weekend, I went to Potteric Carr Wildlife reserve to see the Bitterns, you are only about 30mins from me - small world isn't it? grin

Dawn

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,886
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image