Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#248768 Dec 11th, 2008 at 07:07 PM
OP Offline
Hi everyone! nooo

I have a small christmas cactus in my west kitchen window and has yet to bloom. I've had it for about 8 months now. I see buds coming on then they dry up. I try not to water ir very often especially this time of year.

Should i take it to work when it gets warmer? There is a large west window there where my asparagus fern is taking over. Also i have some plants around my desk where there is large fluorescent lighting overhead. wavy

Any help would be appreciated. I would like it to get huge and start blooming alot...I know its alot to ask! LOL clap

Greg grin

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone...you are a blessing to me! angel

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
When life gives you lemons...do the Macarena!! :)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Greg wavy

They require a rich, well drained soil, bright indirect light and a daytime temperature of 70 degrees and night temperature of 60-65. Feed it with a balanced houseplant fertilizer between April and October. Christmas cactus is not drought tolerant. Water the plants thoroughly and let them dry out between watering. The leaves will wrinkle if the soil is too dry and when over watered which can lead to root rot.
Water less in the winter. Prune the plants in the summer to encourage more branching by pinching off at the joints.
When the plants are in bloom keep the plant moderately moist (not too wet). If the leaves get limp and flabby you may be overwatering the plant. Place the plant in bright light and temperatures (60-70F). Too much light can fade the flowers. Do not expose them to direct heat, cold drafts or move the plant around as that can cause the flower buds to drop. Fertilize lightly with a high potassium fertilizer when the buds form and continue until the flowers fade. When the plant is finished blooming withhold water for 6 weeks allowing it to rest. In early spring, when new growth starts to show, resume feeding and watering.

Reblooming

We can repeat the flowering process year after year. There are two important factors that encourage bud formation 1. Long nights - Christmas cactus requires at least 14 hours of darkness for 5-6 weeks. 2. Prolonged cool temperatures of 50-55 degrees for 6 weeks. If kept at 55F, some Christmas cacti will bloom regardless of day length. Bud formation will not happen if temperatures are above 70 degrees. Keep the plant on the dry side until you see buds form, then resume normal watering and light feeding.

I hope this has Helped~ :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image