Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
wavy

Last edited by jonni13; Dec 11th, 2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Sun/Son issues in title

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy calling it a night snooz see everyone tomorrow

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
look it here--I missed Jiffy again-----

Tina--how are you???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I am tired but fine, thank you, Carol.
Busy getting ready for some weather
Not anything like happening back east but weather is different here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well I am sorry you are tired but pleased you are fine.

Sorry about your weather----it is supposed to be ok tomorrow and the weekend here but it is to be icy on monday----

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh rain is eagerly looked forward to here. I like it a lot. We need it. But there is fall type clean up do do so it won't get clogged up in the ditches. So working on that stuff in preparation. It is all good here.
But I worked and drove and stuff right through my nap time. Even though I have been heading off to bed early I still miss that nap. So tired isn't bad. I will just sleep very well tonight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I am thinking and hoping I will sleep well too. I woke up early this am and have not gotten my nap either---

I wish you the rain but this time of hyear I do not like to see any type of precipitation----it tends to freeze too easily-----Ice and I are NOT friends

but in cali ice is not really an issue is it???

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Ice is not often an issue here. But we do get some on occasion. Enough to be pretty sometimes. But the news was all about New Orleans tonight and their snowfall. Very pretty but I bet they weren't equipped to handle it any more than our area is. Our mountains have snow removal equipment but the valleys don't. It makes for interesting traffic to avoid

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I hate to come and go so quickly, Tina but I am suddenly so very tired---I will "see" you all tomorrow for a bit before I begin my errands.

________

Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Just saying hello. I seem to not be able to keep up with these coffee house threads! I starte reading one and come back and its closed.
Very tired of snow already. Sun and Mond And Tues it snowed. YEsterday and today we got a break. Sun actually came out. Yesterday I actually used the roof rake . It is getting too thick on the roof.
Feeling really low lately. I did do my pottery class tonight, I am really enjoying it. I will take pictures of the things I made next week Tonight I glazed a few pieces. after chrsitmas I am going to start on the wheel. We will see if I have any talent for it. I love all the pieces my teacher does. Shes super nice, I really like her. IT was a needed break today for how I was feeling. Sorry for myself I guess.
Winter and me are a very bad combination, then throw Christmas in and its really bad. Coupled with hardly any sun in Michigan and Well Oh yeah, did I mention Menopause and realizing thatI am starting to look old?? Sorry to whine. Have a nice night all. blush

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I would like to take a pottery class. I love watching people make stuff on a potters wheel.

Stay warm.

Pouring rain here. I noticed in my rain gauge that Patunia sent me last year that since yesterday we've had 3 inches.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Kim, Don't try too hard to keep up with ongoing coffee house. Jump right in like you did tonight. If there is an ongoing conversation that is confusing, just ask. We are an open book in here and just share our day-to-day lives.
If I lived in Mi and it wasn't even really winter yet with inches of snow on the ground, I would be depressed too. I know the menopause thing well. And Christmas is delayed this year due to what ever whimsy we would like here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
My father was from Flatrock Mi, my mother was from Chicago. My older brother and sister were born in Flatrock. I am a California native though. Others have gotten sick of dealing with snow over the years.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
My brother is outside of Lansing in Mason, MI....he HATES the winters there....but he has a good job and I think he'll stay there forever. tears

If I don't see some sun soon somebody is going to get hurt. tapfoot I don't function without sunlight. I'm not kidding. I've never been diagnosed but I'm positive I have SAD. I'm sure of it. It really affects my mood and this time of year is especially hard on me. Like our 10 day forecast is all rainy, snowy, cloudy except for Saturday...Saturday so far is mostly sunny and I will be in heaven.

Hang in there Kim, before you know it winter will be a thing of the past...at least I keep telling myself that.

Most of you will remember the place I was in last year....I'm so very thankful that I'm not there this year too...it ruined the holidays for me. rspb

Been painting ornaments again. I have so much paint on my hands it's not even funny. I'm so meticulous about them that I can work on the same 7-8 for weeks until they are just perfect. lol

loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
Scratch that, Saturday is now partly cloudy. lol Ugh. I miss the brilliant blue skied days of summer.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I kind of like gray, cool days myself right now. But that is the age I'm at or menopause or something. Even though it aggravates my arthritis, too.
I am heading to bed. I missed napping most of the week. Been too busy lately and am out of step with myself.
Nana didn't stop by today, I don't think. I hope all is well with her.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
No, I don't think she did stop by....

You know, if I lived in your heat I think I wouldn't mind a gray day once in a while.....but when it's everyday for months it gets a little blah.... rspb

I miss the fence chats with my older neighbor....I miss my pool, and I miss my flowers.....I miss sitting outside on the porch furniture that Bill helped me buy....

Oh well, this too shall pass....spring will be here before I know it...crocuses pushing up, daffs too....ooooo, and I planted about 50-75 more bulbs this year....I forgot about that. clap

Oh I'm so glad that it isn't just me that hates winter. I'm like you Loz I miss all the things that I can't do outside, even just sitting out and chatting with the neighbours.

With it being so dark from about 4pm it feels like the day is over by about teatime, whereas in the summer I am out and about till around 10pm'ish. Roll on spring time, bulbs and light nights.

Loz have you heard about SAD lights? They provide some special spectrum light that our skins need to make vitamin D. I have been thinking about getting one as I'm sure I have SAD too, but they are quite expensive.

Tina I'm amazed that your mountain areas have snow! We have friends near San Diego, and they frequently send us pics of SoCal winters (you know the sort with blazing suns and blue skys ) just to wind us up!

btw my real name is Dawn, I'm a bit of a wus about using my real name on new forums, but you all seem very nice and 'normal'. I have two children a boy and a girl aged 13 and 12, and the reason I can get on here so often at the moment is because I am off work looking after my husband who has recently had a major operation. (I sneak on here when he is resting).

Dawn
500 Posts
500 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dawn grin

One rule of being online is never to share your surname publicly... It's alright with your first name then nobody can trace you

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good morning--anybody home??

________

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning....
Hi all, was in yesterday Tina but didn't post I guess... had the boys part of the day and then Mom was in a talkative mood for a change so we chatted about nothing mostly ... then hubby worked a second shift so I picked up a book and read then....
I think my oldest daughter has SADD too- she hates the winters here- not so bad now but when we get to Feb and March and it is dreary for days she has trouble with it- I do too but not as much as she does...
Our Timothy has had and ear and sinus infection along with a migrain this week- he has missed 3 days of school so far with it-- poor kid... not only does he feel awful - he can't read or even do homework.. he is wearing sunglasses inside cause the light hurts his eyes.... hoping to hear today he is better - he's on meds now and hoping if the sinus infection lets up his head will feel better too.... he is only 7.
Well off to see if paper got here yet- no one else is up yet- letting hubby sleep till he has to get up to take Joseph to school... Derek has no school today and pretty sure Timba will stay home again- only a half day for him anyway so not like he will miss a lot..
Nana

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
'Morning, Sherri---I hope your little guy is feeling better today.

________

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi Carol,
I sure hope he is too- he was a preemie baby and tends to have no immune system to speak of so he gets it all when it comes around-- he hadn't been sick since last April so we were really happy but this has really hit him hard... of course all of them have it too- doc is good though he wrote out the scrip so they could all take it without additional office fees... when you have 4 kids they all get it no mattter what....

Well I am goign to brave the cold and see if my paper is here yet-- it's really dark still and only about 25* out there right now.... BRRRRRRRRRR!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
morning guys!
I too get depressed in the winter. especially after we loose all the leaves, which won't be for another month around here. I was skimming what yall were saying about SAD but does that stand for something? is winter depression a real thing? well, they say it's mid 40's here but there is ice on the vehicles. still don't understand how that happens if freezing temp is 32?
*need more coffee*

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning Laura---coffee, now that sounds like a good idea.

Nana--I too was a preemie, I weighed 3 lbs 6 oz. when born.---For a good many years I was sick all the time------but hey--to look at me now you would never know I was a preemie. Sorry it is so cold outside for you--but hey---at least you are in Colorado---it is cold here but I cannot look out & see the views you can!!!

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Just on my first cup.
I am sorry that your grandbaby has so much on his young plate. Nana. That is hard.
It looks like a busy day again but much cooler than it has been. About half or better of our leaves have fallen so far. The sycamores are always the last hangers on and some of the latest to leaf out in spring.
First cup.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I have not had any coffee yet--:(
But I will soon.

Today is going to be busy for me as well. I have some bookwork to do for my MIL and then we have some business errands to do for her--some stores to "visit", and then a Drs. appointment for her.

I guess I had better get going here---I do not want to be running late---

have a great day everyone !!!

________

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
I would also like to know what SAD stands for. A google search turned up nothing. I am figuring they stand for some type of winter blues or depression? Any weather that hangs on for days or weeks on end without changing tends to bring me down a bit. Even the brightest and sunniest.
Dawn, I love that name. My oldest daughter (36) has that for a middle name because morning is my favorite time of day.
We do have weather of all kinds in California. We have ski resorts in our mountains. One of the nicest things about California is the variety of weather options. I could go to the beach or desert and sunbathe or water ski and go snow skiing on the same day quite easily. Each of these options are about 45 minutes away for me. Your San Diegan friends might have a little further drive to be able to snow ski though. About two hours or a little more. But they have much nicer temps in the summer there than I have here and a better zone for more plant options. There are always benefits and drawbacks.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Ah, I finally found SAD by looking up winter blues. Seasonal Affective Disorder. The full spectrum lights for that may be more affordable if you don't shop in medical supplies but in a hardware or home improvement store. Pet stores have them for some of the pets needs but they are pricey there too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi ,
SADD stands for Seasonal Afftective Disorder- yes winter time depression is real too- not just the blues -- my oldest has a history of depression so know more about it than I would like I think- started with post partum after her first baby and stayed cause her ex husband who knows everyhing wouldn't let her get treatment - was all in her head according to him- she is now on meds and is better but will never be the same ...
Yes Carol we do have some wonderful views here... even here on the edge of the city .... when I got the paper I noticed somethng rather big left tracks in the snow on my front yard... to big for the rabbits and the occasional cat... could have been a racoon I guess-- or a fox - used to see one but haven't for a while-- he may have gotten better at hiding ....
Well gotta wake hubby and start making breakfasts.....
Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Almost 3 hours since anyone has posted on the forum. That is a long time. All week long I wanted to be able to nap. I had the opportunity and was tired today but could not settle in.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Hi ...hope you get some rest Tina....
We went out for breakfast and decided to go Christmas shopping after... just before we left my sis called and said she had gotten laid off... she worked for a flooring company for twelve yrs... barely makes it and now this for her- I feel for her... they gave her a whole weeks severance pay... told her to apply for unemployment and try to find another job-- she will probably end up losing her house now- I can't afford to bail her out- and I am sorry but she has always lived way above her means and now will be paying the price... Mom always bailed her out and that won't happen this time...just kind of depressed about the whole thing now...
Well I have to go and wrap what we bought today--- then try to find a place to keep it all from little ones eyes... and find th box of ribbon candy I bought for Joe and hid- don't remember where now--- I hate forgetting stuff....
Nana

[Linked Image]
Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Oh, I am sorry about your sister, Nana. So many people are going on unemployment and hurting. I am sad for them. And wondering where it will end.
I hate forgetting things too. I got to the freeway onramp at 7 am today taking my son to school. I realized that I had my pajama bottoms on. Not really a problem except my license is in my jeans pocket at home. I never do things like that but I am finding myself doing more and more little things similar. Life is distracting right now.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
nana, so sorry about your sister. but maybe this is a wake up call and she'll get another job soon.

matthew and i just got home from running errands and grabbing a bite to eat. scott had other plans for his evening, so matthew and i were on our own. the boy is really shaping up. he and i talked about that at dinner.

and he made a red velvet cake last night for me. the folks at the office couldn't even tell i didn't make it. so he did good thumbup and there were a couple pieces left for me to bring one home for he and scott.

i'm just puttering now, but will call it an early night. i just have to find a recipe for ellie first. i thought i had posted it on the old site, but it wasn't there rspb now to search the internet.

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
Hmmm, what recipe. I can help in the search

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
eagle brand/bisquick peanut butter cookies. easiest on the planet!

Tina Offline OP
California Queen
30k Posts
OP Offline
California Queen
30k Posts
That is an easy mix but I actually have an easier on somewhere. I think it is in the same book with my fat free carrot cake that i can't find. And it is simply peanut butter and sugar and bake, I think. Surprisingly it works.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wow. when you find the book... i'd like that one too!

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
It's colder than a bears big ole' fat bootie here! badday

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Ya Cricket,,,,,,,,, It's was nice here today,, but the several days before that was really cold,,,,, I had sleet at my house and In down town dallas there was light snow,, and further east of me in Cedarhill, tx was snow enough to cover cars and patios,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image