Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#249000 Dec 13th, 2008 at 07:25 AM
OP Offline
I get bought a poinsettia each Christmas, and usually they die within a fortnight, but last year I managed to keep my poinsettia, and have been nursing it all year. Suddenly it's leaves have started going red which I am overjoyed with, but I'm not sure how I've done it why

I recently moved it into a darker room, but otherwise haven't done anything differently. Do they change colour due to the time of year, or is it likely to be due to the environment??

Also it is now very leggy, please could anyone give me some advice about the best time/way to prune it so that it gets bushy again? (always assuming that I don't kill it first)

thanks. I'm going to try and upload a photo of it - fingers crossed.
[Linked Image]

Dawn
Benjismum #249001 Dec 13th, 2008 at 07:27 AM
OP Offline
ah pic didn't work, will try again [Linked Image]

Last edited by Jiffymouse; Dec 13th, 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: picture size

Dawn
Benjismum #249008 Dec 13th, 2008 at 08:18 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
that's really cool you kept it alive and the leaves are changing for you! I had one for years and mine died last year. I had it outside and it got covered with ants just before the first freeze. I couldn't bring it in.
anyway, from what I remember poinsettias need 12 hours light and 12 hours darkness. I almost killed mine several times trying to accomplish this by covering it up or moving it. one year, the leaves did turn red. I found out it had more to do with the cooler weather that year than it did with the lighting. maybe your weather has been cooler this year? btw, it looks like it could use a bigger pot.
I would think pruning it, or taking cuttings would be about the same as any other plant, but I'd wait till it's done with the color change. it is SO beautiful! What a great accomplishment!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #249032 Dec 13th, 2008 at 09:37 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup cricket has it right. the final thing is if you can go into your photobucket and resize your picture to 640x480. that is the size limit we have here because it works best for all our members, even those with dial-up service.

thanks!

#249076 Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:43 PM
OP Offline
Ah thanks Cricket, yes you are right it does need a bigger pot, I hadn't realised. I will wait until after Christmas and re-pot it and have a go at pruning - eek, I'm not very good at it!

Sorry Jiffymouse, I didn't know there was a size limit, although I did think that it looked rather big. I'll have a go at resizing the pic.

Dawn
Benjismum #249078 Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:50 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Well, I'm not very good with 'pruning' either. frankly, that word intimidates me! ha ha. think of it as 'cutting it back', or 'trimming it'.
make your cut just above where a leaf comes out, with sharp sizzors. you can't go wrong. just remember cutting it will shock it just a bit, so try not to change any thing else for a week or so after it's been cut. might as well, try some cuttings while your at it? take the part you cut off, and make another cut just below the last leaf, and keep the soil moist till it roots.
good luck.
and again...beautiful!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Benjismum #249080 Dec 13th, 2008 at 12:51 PM
OP Offline
I've resized, but the edit option in my post has disappeared, is there any way I can either remove or replace the pic? Sorry to be a pain.

Dawn
Benjismum #249104 Dec 13th, 2008 at 01:28 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Poinsettias (like Christmas cactus, cymbidiums, phalenopsis, etc.) will bloom in the winter. To trigger them to bloom, you have to expose them to low temperatures, and/or give them complete darkness (can't remember how long, but it think it was about 14hrs) to make them think it's winter. Most people don't know about their winter bloom and are surprised they they never bloom for them the next year. A lot of people don't bother with the temperature/darkness and just throw them out.

The red 'flowers' are not really flowers. They are bracts. If you look carefully, the flowers are the tiny yellow things in the middle

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #249118 Dec 13th, 2008 at 01:59 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if you resized in photobucket it should automatically update. if you uploaded a resized photo to a new file, pm me the link and i'll do the edit for you. we don't allow member edits after a certain period of time. and thank you for understanding kissie

#249303 Dec 14th, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Prune around March, as far back as you'd like. You can make MORE plants by taking 3-4 inch pruned off pieces and sticking them in moist potting soil.

The room you kept the plant in must have been dark enough to trigger bract coloring! Congrats!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Benjismum #277855 May 1st, 2009 at 09:28 PM
10k Posts
10k Posts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image