Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#249709 Dec 16th, 2008 at 10:52 AM
Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
so I'm now looking for a good sourse of ground rock sulfer. I have plenty of 10-0-0 in the barn that I can use but that's only about 20% (that's going the "long way" to get there) I think?

Thank you.

Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
ooops..make that 21-0-0 NOT 10-0-0. Sorry

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Exactly what is your soil Ph? How low do you want it, and what crop in particular do you want it lowered for?
I can give you many options if I knew.

dave
Spearo Offline OP
OP Offline
It is 7.3 now and want to bring it to around 6.3 + - Some of the Sulfates are expensive, just looking for some savings if I can.

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Hmmm...just cruised in and saw you'd posted, spearo. I can know the full chemistry/mechanics of it, but that 21-0-0 with 20% sulfur will make a big difference, esp depending on what your soil is like...sandy, loamy, clay or whatever. Gear your crops this year to alkaline tolerant or neutral plants, start working in lots of oak leaf litter or pecan, etc. I have to lower soil pH in one garden bed I have that is 7.1, I'll be growing tomatoes in it and need it below 7 preferably. I'm using garden sulfur in 4 lb bags plus shredded leaves, compost, mannure...
get the loam content up, and you won't need to worry about exact pH as much. Some peat would help, but not as much immediately as sulfur, and peat is pricey, too.
Hope this helps, post more about what's available and what you plan to grow. Tomatoes, peppers, and many things can be grown in containers, might consider that.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image