Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#24981 Apr 17th, 2007 at 02:56 PM
OP Offline
I have a 5 year old burgundy rubber plant that has 5 separate trunks. I want to prune it back, and was wondering if I can root one of the cuttings.

KathyAtTAL #24985 Apr 17th, 2007 at 03:03 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
You can root them all! I'm not sure of the details, someone else will be along to tell you, but I've read here many times that they will root easily.

May God bless the WHOLE world!
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
what i do with my rubber trees is put the part i'm trying to root in the pot with the "mother" and water accordingly. that way i don't over water or under water the baby.

#27270 Apr 20th, 2007 at 07:39 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
pruning will make it branch, and potting the prunings will give you more plants.

#27537 Apr 20th, 2007 at 11:14 AM
I'm glad this came up too. I cut my small 10 inch rubber plant in half a little over a month ago. (I'm always doing something to my poor plants. No guts no glory, right?) I didn't like all the bare "legginess" it had at the bottom, with three or four leaves at the top.

I put the top part in the pot with the lower half. The lower half definitely has some teeny tiny branchiness (Is that a word?). The top hasn't had any new growth yet, but I'm sure it will eventually. I haven't checked it to see if it rooted. I'm always afraid that tugging at cuttings will cause the roots to break. It hasn't lost any of it's leaves, though, so I'll take that as a good sign.

BTW, I have my rubber plant in an east window that gets very hot in the summer. Will it be ok for me to leave it there?

Amanda / Zone 6
#28119 Apr 21st, 2007 at 06:28 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
it will be fine. mine usually go outside in the summer.

top them triss, do it, they'll thank you for it and the tops will grow nicely too!

#28845 Apr 22nd, 2007 at 12:09 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
triss, the plants think of it like you trim your toenails or hair, it only hurts us, not them!

#28985 Apr 22nd, 2007 at 08:14 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
just one of the two.

#29247 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 09:07 AM
Go for it, Triss! clap We're all behind you.

Amanda / Zone 6
#29331 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 11:53 AM
Well, I'm pretty darn impresssed, Triss. Good for you! Now, in the pot where you used to have one pretty dracaena, you have two instead.

My mother has a dracaena she let me cut recently. I think it was a janet craig compacta. It was the ugliest plant she owned because of the way it was dipping over and leaning. By cutting it down, I was able to get three more plants. I kept one. grin

Also, I had rooted my lucky bamboos (also dracaenas) and they were growing really well until I accidentally spilled some cleaning water in the pot. The stalks were yellowing from the bottom up and the bottom leaves were also yellowing. When those bottom leaves came off, I saw that they were attached to tiny stems. So to salvage what I could, I cut them off and rooted them. They've been doing well since the fall. But...

Last weekend I decided it wanted to fill the pot in little more. So I cut the leafy tops off, and am now rooting them. I only did that with two of them. I'm hoping that the leafless stalks I left behind will put out some leaves. I treat my plants like science experiments, I guess.

Amanda / Zone 6
#33895 Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:18 PM
my ruuber plant has hit the 9 foot ceiling and just wants to get taller. And it is definitely not because my thumb is green. My rubber plant is just a long stalk and no branches. It has grown bark about 5 feet up. Is it OK to cut the trunk where there is bark? How could I encourage branching at the lower half of the plant?

rtree #33942 Apr 29th, 2007 at 02:49 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Rtree I answered your question in the thread you started!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image