Print Thread
Rate Thread
#251344 Dec 23rd, 2008 at 10:57 PM
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
I was looking for my Red-bellied Woodpecker in the oak tree out my kitchen door when I noticed a couple of crows flying in on a mission. Then I spotted what they were after.

[Linked Image]
I believe this is a Broad-winged hawk. Audobon's describes it as "barred with rusty color below, with broad black-and-white tail bands. "

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Terry

May the force be with you
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Your Hawk is a Cooper's Hawk, that often stakes out bird feeders in hopes of catching a bird dinner. Cooper's prey on birds. They are commonly called, "Chicken Hawks" because they often catch chicken. Hawks and Owls are traditional enemies of Crows and are in CONSTANT conflict with them.

I have a Cooper's Hawk that checks out my feeders occasionally, but has NEVER caught anything. I see him from time to time.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
That's what I thought it might be at first, but Cooper's hawks have long tails with much wider white bands and with tips that are rounded. The tail on my hawk seems too wide and short, however, it seems the Broad-wing is also described as having broader white bands than this. Also, Cooper's are an even grey on top with a black cap on their heads. This bad boy seemed to be more brown on top with dapplings of lighter color at the feather tips. ??????

Wow, hawks are tough to identify!!

Terry

The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Hawks, Shorebirds, Sparrows, and Empidonax Flycatchers are the birder's nightmares. Your hawk COULD also be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. They are almost IDENTICAL to the Cooper's, in physical appearance, habit preferences, and behavioral patterns.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
They resemble the Owl too except for the head..

Iowa is hawkeye state??????/Is that their bird/

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
Originally Posted by Thornius
Hawks, Shorebirds, Sparrows, and Empidonax Flycatchers are the birder's nightmares. Your hawk COULD also be a Sharp-Shinned Hawk. They are almost IDENTICAL to the Cooper's, in physical appearance, habit preferences, and behavioral patterns.

I looked at the Sharp-Shinned also, but from what I saw, the tail seemed too short and wide on my hawk. And the white bands were too narrow.

Your right about it being a nightmare. I looked at a bunch of pics of Coopers Hawks and NONE of them looked exactly the same. Ditto with the Broad-winged.

Terry

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,920
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image