Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#251735 Dec 26th, 2008 at 11:12 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Most of you read here, that we lost poor Slinky a few months ago - he was one of our feral cats, who came to eat a few meals each day the past few years. This past summer, another very pretty cat starting coming, but only a few times a month. He always looked VERY clean - as if he belonged to someone, but he eats like he hasn't had a meal in forever!

We haven't seen him for over a few months now, and I was hoping he had gone "home". Well this morning, while I was cleaning up the kitchen, one of my cats was making a rukus by the sliding doors - there was Butterscotch! But the poor baby has been in an AWFUL fight with something! His entire ear is chewed up to the point that ALL the fur is off of it! boohoo uhuhh POOR BABY! tears kissie

I gave him a bowl full of dry food which he gobbled up in a second, and then I put out a small can of food, which was also gone lickety split. I will be looking out for his return, and hope I can help nurse him back to health. He is very skittish, and we won't be able to take him to the vet, but we can at least feed him well.

Does anyone know if the fur will grow back on his poor tender ear??? tears [Linked Image]

P.S. He is back now, and eating once again. He doesn't seem as frightened by us right now, and I'm hoping he will try out the cathouse that Don built for shelter too.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#251740 Dec 26th, 2008 at 12:16 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
oh! the poor little guy!! if you can at least get some antibiotic cream on the bad parts, that'd be good...better yet to get him to a vet, though.

any spots that have scabs may not regrow fur - or it may come in funky. the areas that the fur is just pulled out should regrow just fine.

oh, the poor thing!! hopefully, butterscotch will start making daily visits AND will let you care for his wounds!

Zone 6b
Joclyn #251900 Dec 27th, 2008 at 01:01 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
shock ohhhhhhhhh My goodness,,,,,,,,,, Poor Kitty! boohoo I know it being a feral cat it probably won't let you touch him,, boohoo I hope he becomes trusting of you so you can get close to him,, and possibly treat him somehow,, why

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #251930 Dec 27th, 2008 at 06:24 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
if he's like the ones we've adopted in years past, he will have a scar, but the fur will grow back for the most part. i am glad he has you thumbup

#251990 Dec 27th, 2008 at 08:33 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
I am happy to say, that he/she was in the cathouse that Don built most of today. And ate every morsel of food we put out during the day - the only time he went off the deck was when I'm assuming he went to the bathroom - thankfully NOT on the deck! Don was able to put a soft towel in the bottom of the cathouse while he was gone, and he's been sleeping in there since about 7 this evening. I hope he stays safe, and a bit warmer in there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #251994 Dec 27th, 2008 at 08:39 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
That is such good news, Lynne----I hope that Butterscotch somwehow understands that you are there to help.---Hopefully rest and food will help a lot. idea

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #252102 Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
SAFE and sleeping soundly in the cathouse! thumbup kissie
[Linked Image]

EVER so hungry all the time!
The ear is looking a bit better, but I've noticed that the tip is turned outwards?
kissie Hope it heals ok.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #252103 Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:17 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
awwwwwwwwwwww ! His ear does look better,, grin He'll be okay,, and will probably give second thought idea to a fight with what ever snagged his ear good,, ,, boohoo

You're a good Adoptive Kitty Mama Lynne! kissie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #252122 Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:50 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by angelblossom
awwwwwwwwwwww ! His ear does look better,, grin He'll be okay,, and will probably give second thought idea to a fight with what ever snagged his ear good,, ,, boohoo

You're a good Adoptive Kitty Mama Lynne! kissie

yes I say what Diane said...

Hopefully Butterscoth will "adopt" the 'cathouse' that Don built as its permanent residence.--At least there, he/she will be safer.

________

JunieGirl #252129 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:04 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Poor butterscotch. The ear looks a lot better than the first photo, looks like his fur will grow back too, but his ear might not return to its pointing upwards position, sometimes when trauma occours a haematoma develops, or lesions occour. Neither ae life threatening. Looks like he is getting lots of TLC!

[Linked Image]
JunieGirl #252130 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:04 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

Hopefully Butterscoth will "adopt" the 'cathouse' that Don built as its permanent residence.--At least there, he/she will be safer.

and warmer thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #252131 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:08 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
ohhh what a nasty fight he got into! it does look like it's healing nicely though. if he's eating and drinking that is a good sign. It looks as though he will be just fine. how nice it is he has a nice warm place to crawl into and some food in his belly.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
angelblossom #252132 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:09 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Poor Butterscotch, His ear looks better on the second photo and the fur will regrow. His ear may not return to its original position if either a heamatoma or lessions have developed, neither of these are life threatening, and he looks like he is enjoying lots of TLC!

[Linked Image]
glenda #253296 Jan 1st, 2009 at 02:29 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Butterscotch disappeared for 2 days, and I was worried that he might have gotten into more trouble. But yesterday, just as we were getting ready to go to our friends' house, he appeared... hungry as ever! We had had about 5 inches of snow all day yesterday, so he must have been very cold as well - the wind was blowing fiercely too!

This afternoon, after a wild night of wind, I saw Butterscotch sitting in the sun on the deck. It was still only 20 degrees out there, but I'm sure the sun felt oh-so-good to him! He sleeps with his head ever ready to run at the first sign of a sound, poor baby!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3k Posts
3k Posts
His ear looks red on the last photo. Is he shaking his head alot? Have you seen him scratching it?

[Linked Image]
glenda #253310 Jan 1st, 2009 at 02:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
yes, an update is in order. i hope butterscotch is doing better!

#253329 Jan 1st, 2009 at 03:34 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH - Jiffy - that WAS an update! why

I think the ear looks red because of the sun shining through it without any fur cover. It looks pretty much the same as from the first day we've seen it. I have not seen him shaking his head, nor touching his ear at all. He is always very hungry, and does sleep in the cathouse from time to time, but not like the first 2 days that he was here when the wounds were fresh.

That's all I have for now...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
blush sorry lynne. i missed your post as it ended up on page one and glenda's was on page 2. so i thought her post was in response to your second post. now that i've confused everyone as well as cindy ever could, i am glad to get the update! thank you kissie

#253444 Jan 1st, 2009 at 06:28 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
It's quite alright Jiffy - I've been in a fog myself today!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
red is not a bad color, in my opinion, for this stage in the healing process. thumbup I think he's gonna be fine.

Cricket

cricket #253467 Jan 1st, 2009 at 07:06 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think cricket is right---

________

cricket #253494 Jan 1st, 2009 at 07:39 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Originally Posted by cricket
red is not a bad color, in my opinion, for this stage in the healing process. thumbup I think he's gonna be fine.

yep me too. grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #253732 Jan 2nd, 2009 at 02:20 PM
3k Posts
3k Posts
Good to here that he has a healthy appitite too.
Cats are amazing creatures.

[Linked Image]
glenda #253898 Jan 3rd, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
a good appetite is an excellent sign that he's going to be okay!

it would, of course, be best if you could get that ear looked at...although, a safe, protected, comfy place to sleep and get out of the weather and food and water regularly will do wonders all on its own. so, he's probably going to be just fine!!

he's handsome fella - looks like my rusty.

Zone 6b
Joclyn #255326 Jan 8th, 2009 at 10:08 PM
If the skin is there the hair will grow back. If you could get some antibiotics into him it would help fight any infection that is sure to come along with an injury like that. you could crush it up into his soft food. I work as a vet tech and we see these kind of injuries a lot. looks like a fan belt got hold of him. Just a guess but had one in the other day that was almost identical to that. Lucky cat but will be ok with time. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Be careful of those that say they are you friend.
Friendship and Trust must be earned, Saying it is only part of the truth.
waterwise #257978 Jan 19th, 2009 at 05:22 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
How's Butterscotch???

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #261760 Feb 7th, 2009 at 06:15 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Butterscotch comes daily to eat several times a day. He is extremely friendly, loving pets and rubs and tries to come inside every time. I sooooo wish we could bring him in, but unfortunately we cannot afford to take him to the vet for all the necessary shots, etc if we were to do that, and having 5 indoor cats is a handful as it is already.

But I do love the times when I get to feed him and give him a scratch and rub - he even pushes into our hands when we do that, which makes Don believe that he had to have been someone's cat and was cast outside for some reason - poor kitty.

Here he is tonight, trying to get inside, while I was feeding him about 1/2 hour ago. His right ear is doing so much better - it is even standing straight up once again - I am so happy to see that, as it had been curled back when he got hurt. Now... if he can only stay out of fights - he had another awful one a few weeks ago and lost some fur from his eye back down past the same ear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Ohhhhhhh He looks soooooo good now! He has really healed nicely! He looks like he is saying,,,,, "just let me in for a minute please!" boohoo

You feeding him has lead him to healing so well and now, he is trusting you enough to allow petting and closeness,, which tell alot about you Lynne. He knows he has a good friend in you grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #261767 Feb 7th, 2009 at 06:30 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
aawwww....butterscotch has healed real nice! thanks SO much for the update! he is one handsome kitty. those male cats just don't know when to quit with the fighting do they? we lost our 'pork chop' like that. we're on 10 acres and the neighbor is on 5. our male and her male kitty couldn't come to any kind of agreement with all that land to work with!...go figure??? such is the way of nature, I guess.
glad to see him doing well.

Cricket

cricket #261769 Feb 7th, 2009 at 06:38 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
OH Lynne---he is doing so well--I am so happy to see it.----Also glad to see that he is warming up to all of you so well.---perhaps is he stays around long enough the time will be right for you to take him in---or perhaps someone else will find they are in need of a sweet kitty---and gee you happen to know of one----

Thanks so much for the update.

________

JunieGirl #261894 Feb 7th, 2009 at 08:44 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup thanks for the update. he looks great now!

Joclyn #261964 Feb 7th, 2009 at 09:49 PM
Digger
500 Posts
Digger
500 Posts
Well just my opinion P & P.. I am assuming he is an intact Tom.. which would explain the fighting.
And I assume he is just visiting to get some food. And a safe Haven I dont know where you live but most all cities now have very cheap Spay neuter clinics. Even for Feral Cats. they snip and you release. At least that way they are not contributing to the horrific overpopulation. We can all do something to help! We may not all be able to give them homes but we can sure help with the over population.
You might google Low Cost spay Neuter in your city. I bet you have one. You could probably lure him into a crate with some yummy Tuna. Best of luck! clap

[Linked Image]
Ditchy #262014 Feb 8th, 2009 at 09:07 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
"Awwwwwwwwww I REALLY wish I could come inside and eat with the rest of the cats!!!"
[Linked Image]

"PLEASE OH PLEASE won't you let me in???"
[Linked Image]

His expressions break my heart. tears But he is fed well, numerous times a day by us, and gets lots of rubs too - he tried to get Don to continue again last night, but is actually scratching him when he grabs for his hand to continue.

We are going to wait and see when our son gets to have a place of his own and takes his 2 cats with him - right now he is only employed as a temp., but that job might become permanent in about 1 1/2 months. After that, if things stabilize here, we "might" be able to take Butterscotch inside.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Lynne,, He looks so healthy now,, His eyes are clear,, his fur the thick ,,,, And He has friends that feed him, No wonder he wants in, He knows it's warm in there and knows that's where the food comes from,, and I imagine he smells the other kitties too, and wants to join in on their comfort!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #262316 Feb 9th, 2009 at 09:06 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Aw Butterscoth looks so cute--and--pleading. I do so hope everyting works out for all of you.

about the neutering. We always had our cats spayed or neutered.

The neutering certainly cut down on the children, and while it may have cut down on the fighting it did not stop it. When our "Tigger" came home one too many times with "battle scars" he was given a permanent place to live in our house. The girls thought that was best.

and yes we neutered him just as soon as we were told he was old enough.

________

JunieGirl #269057 Mar 15th, 2009 at 03:10 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Time for another update.
Butterscotch tries harder and harder to come inside each time we feed him, but it's just not possible right now. We do not have the funds to take him to the vet - especially with what we are dealing with, with Oliver being sick. So we feed him NUMEROUS times a day and give him lots of rubs and attention.

Here he is getting in my camera - he wouldn't pose nicely so I took the picture anyway.
[Linked Image]

He plopped down against the open door and was watching Amber inside.
[Linked Image]

Being lazy as cats like to be, he decided to turn over for a bite to eat! touched
[Linked Image]

More in next post...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #269317 Mar 17th, 2009 at 04:03 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
awwwwwwwwwwww He looks So Healthy and Sure wants to be a whole part of your family! You've been very sweet with Him Lynne! Thanks For the update! grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
angelblossom #269348 Mar 17th, 2009 at 06:08 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
One can see that you have taken very good care of him/her Lynne---perhpas one day Butterscotch will be able to become a part of the "family" for real....

________

JunieGirl #269354 Mar 17th, 2009 at 06:23 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
OP Offline
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks so much Diane and Carol.

Butterscotch seems to be very afraid when we try to go out on the deck when he is there - he runs away down the stairs. He will sit on the stairs to wait and see if we leave, but won't come around us - YET!

He does love to be petted when we open the door to feed him though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #269359 Mar 17th, 2009 at 06:32 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I agree with Caroll Some day he will call your place Home,, he almost does already!!
He is skiddish yes, but I think he will come around and eventually both of you can be out on the deck together!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,927
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image