Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#252075 Dec 28th, 2008 at 10:08 AM
OP Offline
Since I've just, in the past year, found some plants a serious black thumb can grow, I find myself enjoying watching things grow. Since Florida sand is more of a challenge than I care to take on, I'm confining myself to container gardening and plants that are seemingly unkillable. I just bought my second Christmas cactus, and I have a pair of Crown of Thorns that can survive my neglect. We'll see how the Mums and Poinsettias do over time. I can do a few herbs; rosemary, chives, and basil are doing pretty well.

Looking forward to hearing some new ideas...

Coppercloud

#252091 Dec 28th, 2008 at 11:02 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome from southern California also.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #252117 Dec 28th, 2008 at 12:40 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hummmm another sunshine stater like myself with a black thumb. Wonder if that is contagious here. Anyhow welcome aboard Mate!

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #252135 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:11 PM
OP Offline
Maybe not contagious--just not like gardening anywhere else! I read all the gardening columns, books, etc. & feel like I'm on another planet!

coppercloud #252139 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:23 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Well in most all of my adult like ( and that has been quiet a long while ) I have never been able to grow anything. I try and try and even kill aloe. but the spring and summer that Ivan hit it seemed that every single thing that I planted grew beautifully. I told my friends and neighbors that I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen because I had never ever had so many pretty and healthy plants. And Band here comes Ivan and all my beautiful plants were for the most part wiped out. Ever since when my neighbor ask what are you planting this year or do want some cuttings of this that or the other to plant this year I just say NO. I do not want a repeat of Ivan.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #252143 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:41 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
gotta keep on truckin, black thumbers!
btw coopercloud, mums, poinsettias, chrismas cactus are not the EASIEST of them all to grow. if you can do those, you can grow lots more.
maybe you could try some aloe, cannas, ginger, ivy.
Welcome to the forum!

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Memosa #252150 Dec 28th, 2008 at 01:59 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
lol memosa, that's funny. i had family affected by ivan.

coppercloud wavy welcome. both of you should put a more specific location, like santa rosa county, fl. that way, we'd know a general area where you are! (i'm originally from pensacola) :wink:

#252155 Dec 28th, 2008 at 02:07 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
(i'm originally from pensacola) :wink: [/quote]

Bingo! shots McGuires!

Memosa #252158 Dec 28th, 2008 at 02:13 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Memosa
(i'm originally from pensacola) :wink:

Bingo! shots McGuires!
haha we can't go home without a trip to mcguires! grin my kids think it is the best place to visit there! shots

#252159 Dec 28th, 2008 at 02:14 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i should have added that the baby is 21 lol

#252162 Dec 28th, 2008 at 02:24 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hey my baby has been celebrating his birthday there every year since he was 14 and he is now 32. And when I think about all the money that I have hanging in there, Well, if I had it all back I could afford a fresh brewed one (LOL). Hey next time you come here we will just have to meet there and toast one to the Gardeners here!

Last edited by Memosa; Dec 28th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.

Memosa #252170 Dec 28th, 2008 at 03:22 PM
OP Offline
I'm from Brandon, just east of Tampa. I manage to keep Christmas cactus going by ignoring it, pretty much. The first one dropped its blooms as soon as it got home, so I sat it outside to die in peace. By the time I really looked at it again, new "leaves" were sprouting. It was given to me right after Thanksgiving 2007, and by Easter 2008 it bloomed and bloomed and bloomed. It's in full bloom again, and I bought an odd white one this morning: instead of drooping leaves, they're straight up. We'll see how this one goes......

Memosa #252173 Dec 28th, 2008 at 03:27 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Hey my baby has been celebrating his birthday there every year since he was 14 and he is now 32. And when I think about all the money that I have hanging in there, Well, if I had it all back I could afford a fresh brewed one (LOL). Hey next time you come here we will just have to meet there and toast one to the Gardeners here!
next time i'm there, we will shots

coppercloud, i've never been in your area more than a day or two. but from what i remember its a great place to "ignore" houseplants! lol

Last edited by Jiffymouse; Dec 28th, 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: i was button happy
#252284 Dec 28th, 2008 at 10:52 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hello Floridians, and welcome to the forum. Seems there is a lot of sandy soil there. We have the opposite here; clay. But my parents in Perth have sand. They are growing grapes, plumeria, roses, crepe myrtle and a whole lot of other things quite successfully. My dad enriches the soil with compost.

What I want to ask you is, do people in Florida grow Murraya Paniculata? I am growing some here, but they grow slowly as it's a bit cool for them. But they are apparently hardy, probably good for black thumbs, and they have the most beautifully scented flowers. I've heard they grow well in a warm climate.

Eternity
stevie_g #252304 Dec 29th, 2008 at 06:34 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
[quote=

What I want to ask you is, do people in Florida grow Murraya Paniculata? [/quote]

Got pictures? I don't recognize the name but sure sounds like my kind of plant. A friend give me a young Century Plant this past October and it's still hanging in there. Also have a Pineapple top that I just threw out in an empty pot over a year ago and I can't believe that the thing is growing and I just considered it basically trash when I set it out in the old pot and yes totally neglected it.

Memosa #252495 Dec 30th, 2008 at 03:25 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Mine aren't flowering at the moment; they are still quite small, as I put them in during our winter. So I'll put in a link below. They are also known as 'Orange Jessamine' and/or 'Mock Orange'.

http://www.hear.org/starr/plants/images/species/?q=murraya+paniculata

Good to hear your pineapple is growing well. I remember we used to cut the tops off them and grow them that way when I was growing up in Darwin. You probably can grow mangoes there too? If so, I am envious, because you can't get good ones down in Victoria.

I haven't heard of a century plant, but then again, there are a lot of things I haven't heard of!

Eternity
stevie_g #252515 Dec 30th, 2008 at 05:42 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Oh wow, I love it! I wonder if I can find it around here ( that is if I could get it to grow ). It appears to be a bush but the only Jasmine that I familiar with are vines. Do you know if they have a wonderful scent like climbing Jasmines?
If I can ever figure out how to put up a photo I will put up a picture of a century plant. They are call that because they only bloom once in a hundred years. I have only seen one bloom in my life time and that was when I was a child. They get to be very large plants though.
And so far I have an Avocado tree. I did manage to grow it from a seed from one of the avocados that I had to feed my squirrels (they love them) and out of curiosity I tried growing it. Once it got about a foot tall I planted it but I thought for sure it had frozen until this past late spring. It had briers growing all over what I though was just a dead stick and when I cleared the briers away I discovered that the tree was still alive. It has grown about another foot and was all leafy this summer so this winter I put a tomato cage over and have covered it during the freezes. But with my luck now that I am actually trying to take care of it and keep it alive it will probably die on me.

Last edited by Memosa; Dec 30th, 2008 at 05:45 AM.

Memosa #252632 Dec 30th, 2008 at 06:54 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
memosa, mock orange makes a nice thick shrub in florida. you can go to floridata.com and read up on it. and i don't know what to tell you about the avocado. except, we always had good luck with odd plants if we planted them on a south wall.

Memosa #252881 Dec 31st, 2008 at 03:09 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Oh wow, I love it! I wonder if I can find it around here ( that is if I could get it to grow ). It appears to be a bush but the only Jasmine that I familiar with are vines. Do you know if they have a wonderful scent like climbing Jasmines?
If I can ever figure out how to put up a photo I will put up a picture of a century plant. They are call that because they only bloom once in a hundred years. I have only seen one bloom in my life time and that was when I was a child. They get to be very large plants though.
And so far I have an Avocado tree. I did manage to grow it from a seed from one of the avocados that I had to feed my squirrels (they love them) and out of curiosity I tried growing it. Once it got about a foot tall I planted it but I thought for sure it had frozen until this past late spring. It had briers growing all over what I though was just a dead stick and when I cleared the briers away I discovered that the tree was still alive. It has grown about another foot and was all leafy this summer so this winter I put a tomato cage over and have covered it during the freezes. But with my luck now that I am actually trying to take care of it and keep it alive it will probably die on me.

The Mock Orange flowers have such a beautiful scent, similar to, but maybe stronger than jasmine. That's how I found out about these plants- I was walking along a footpath, and the scent just hit me; some were growing nearby. They are quite rare in Melbourne, Vic (maybe not in your Melbourne!). I thought they were Jasmines when I first saw them, but like Jiffy said, they grow in a bush shape rather than a climbing vine.

As for posting photos, probably the easiest way is to join photobucket. Once you upload photos to that website, you can then copy and paste the file address to this website. I will try doing it again today, and see if I can describe it better (I've only done it once).

Hope your avocado does well. I love avocados, but it's a bit cool for growing them here. Would love to have a pet squirrel, but we don't have them in Oz. Apparently they are a bit hyperactive!

Eternity
stevie_g #252898 Dec 31st, 2008 at 04:09 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hi Memosa, for posting photos, once you upload one to photobucket, you need to click on the edit option at the top left of the photo. You then re-size it to 640 x 480 (the largest size you can post here). At the bottom you can save the change. If you roll the mouse over the photo, it will have a number of codes below. If you copy the IMG code (bottom one), you can paste it here. It will then display your photo once you submit it.

Eternity
stevie_g #252904 Dec 31st, 2008 at 04:29 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Thanks Steve and everyone here who helped me figure out how to post here! I did it finally so for tonight I will post a few photos that I took of my purple and green Shamrocks and a blooming aloe that come up on their own from out of no where growing in cinderblocks.....
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Memosa #252940 Dec 31st, 2008 at 07:03 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup nice

Memosa #253327 Jan 1st, 2009 at 03:33 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Those shamrocks are pretty, Memosa. I haven't heard of them, but they look like a type of oxalis. I get a lot of oxalis plants taking over my garden beds during autumn, but they are nowhere near as pretty as your plants. Mine have yellow flowers, and just grow like crazy.

Eternity
stevie_g #253331 Jan 1st, 2009 at 03:49 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup they are oxalis stevie. most of them grow well outdoors here in the southern us.

#253411 Jan 1st, 2009 at 05:17 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Well, I don't know much about proper names of plants. I just know I like them but with my black thumb they don't really like me to much. I do have to admit that either I am improving or maybe it is just because the friend who has given me a few things is just a little flower fairy but so far the Confederate rose tree, the shrimp plant, the new and 5th bamboo and a few other things that she has given me are all still hanging in there. But other wise I have killed things that I was promised that I couldn't kill, like aloe, peace plants, spider plants, and even 4 lucky bamboo plants ( wasn't so lucky for the bamboo ). Oh yes, anyone want some dead air ferns. They are suppose to just live off the air and humidity from the air! Mine died!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,898
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image