Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi everyone, A friend who loves to garden and knows I do too emailed me for help with a quiz of some sort. It's apparently a question in a magazine and her Father In Law said she wouldn't be able to find out the answer before he gets his next issue in January. I tried doing some searches and didn't do too well. My husband said orchids and I did find some things that were similar with them and also Bromeliads (probably spelled wrong). Anyway the question is - Do you know what blooms in the winter, dies in the summer, and its roots grow up? It would sure be great for her to get the answer to him before his magazine arrives - this is all in good fun with them. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[color:cc0099]When you find work you love you no longer have to work for a living![/color]
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
so stuff that grows and blooms in winter, but is dead in summer with roots growing up...
blooms in winter, completely dormant in summer I assume if it looks dead
amaryllis
orchids
cyclamen...the bulbs will push out of the soil gradually
plumeria? (not sure bout this one)

roots growing up I would assume like aerial roots (ones that grow in the air and draws water from the air)...maybe some epiphytic? nothing above cept the orchids are epiphytes to my knowledge

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
OP Offline
Thank you so much Kenny for your help. I also asked this on another site and since the question is worded almost exactly the same I believe someone came up with the answer. I'm sending all replies to my friend to look over and the url so she can have the fun of finding the answer herself. THANKS again I really appreciate your input.

Here's the response I got that may be the correct one.

That is an old riddle. Lol. The answer is at the link towards the bottom of the page. The answers are hidden so you have to highlight the page to see the answers. (control/a)
http://www.tolkientrail.com/riddles.shtml

[color:cc0099]When you find work you love you no longer have to work for a living![/color]
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
those were pretty good,, !!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
very cool page.

3k Posts
3k Posts
Informative . . . something interesting for kids too.

When sorting seeds, do not whistle.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image