Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#252895 Dec 31st, 2008 at 03:56 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
We had a picnic at Hanging rock yesterday. Here are some photos of a mother wallaby and her joey that we saw there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And a log with gnarly bark that I liked.

[Linked Image]

Eternity
stevie_g #252903 Dec 31st, 2008 at 04:25 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Those are ADORABLE.......but......WHAT?!? NO Koalas?!?

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
stevie_g #252913 Dec 31st, 2008 at 05:09 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
My dream since I was 10 years old was to be able to go to Australia. Now at my age I don't really see it happening so I just keep hoping that my mate Peter Miller can come here to visit and share his Auatralia with me.
I am so partial to Wombats and would give just about anything to have one but I hear that they are is real trouble these days in Australia. Now Pete he has rehabbed many a Kangaroo and Wallaby and really likes them. He use to work for Irwin (7 years) but now he works at Water World in Queensland (I believe that is where it is ). Funny thing is one of the creatures that he cares for is the Rays of all things.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #252919 Dec 31st, 2008 at 05:55 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I have an acquaintance, Ursula Vernon who IS a wombat. She writes and illustrates an online Comic called, "Digger"

[Linked Image]

Thornius #253418 Jan 1st, 2009 at 05:24 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Thornius
I have an acquaintance, Ursula Vernon who IS a wombat. She writes and illustrates an online Comic called, "Digger"

I have the cutest little childrens book titled "Diary of a Wombat" by Jackie French that someone sent me. It is simple but I just love it. Can you send me a link to "Digger". I would love to see it.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #253430 Jan 1st, 2009 at 05:49 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Yep, wombats are cute. I think you are right Memosa, there is at least one species of wombat that is endangered. We have that book too, the kids love it.

Good old Steve Irwin; he was well loved over here. Always thought it would be a crocodile that got him, never thought of a stingray.

Sorry, Thorn, didn't see a koala. They are there, but you get a sore neck looking for them.

Eternity
stevie_g #253434 Jan 1st, 2009 at 06:10 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
To be perfectly honest I saw a show with him swimming among sharks back when Terri was expecting Robert and i told my mate Pete then that If he ever met his end in the wild it would be in the ocean not on land. Steve knew his way around land animals but he really didn't understand the sea even if he thought he did. I saw many mistakes that he made when doing shows in the water and was often surprised that he didn't get badly hurt in any one of those. I will never forget getting the call at 1:30 am my time and being awakened by the words "Steve's gone". For a brief sleep drunk moment I didn't get it then I thought that Helen (Petes'wife) was just pulling my chain. After about a minuet of stunned silence my reply to her was "Was he in the water".

From what I understand the Wombats are dieing off at a rapid rate from some form of mange? I donated a little to some organization for the help but I haven't heard much more about it. I do hope they make a recovery.

Also, I have seen photos of a plant, a bush rather that is called an Australian Bottle plant I believe. I think that it is so pretty and would love to have some on my property. I have also heard that they make great cover for squirrels, small birds and other small critters but the only ones that I have seen are in California. Do you know if they are actually from Australia?

Memosa #253687 Jan 2nd, 2009 at 12:47 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Let me clarify something in the previous statement about SteveO. I realized that he dealt with crocs and gators in water but that was different than dealing with Sea creatures and Fish. They sense things differently and they are swifter in the water than reptiles are in their kind of water. Plus on land or even in water where feet can touch the ground one can get a better grip on things but we are not equipped to be as rapid or quick in the ocean as those animals are. There is a different law of the land in that environment.

Memosa #253742 Jan 2nd, 2009 at 03:56 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hi Memosa, from what I can gather, there are 2 species of wombat that are in danger; the northern hairy-nosed wombat and the southern hairy-nosed wombat. The northern one is in more danger. Don't know about mange; I thought it was maybe due to loss of habitat.

The Tasmanian Devils are rapidly dying out in Tassie; this is due to a type of cancer that attacks their face. They spread it by biting. If you've ever watched them feeding, you will know that biting (each other as well as the food) is one of their favourite activities. On the mainland, Tassie Devils are free of this disease, so zoos could well hold the key to the survival of this species.

Eternity
stevie_g #253933 Jan 3rd, 2009 at 02:21 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by stevie_g

The Tasmanian Devils are rapidly dying out in Tassie; this is due to a type of cancer that attacks their face. They spread it by biting. If you've ever watched them feeding, you will know that biting (each other as well as the food) is one of their favourite activities. On the mainland, Tassie Devils are free of this disease, so zoos could well hold the key to the survival of this species.

Oh this really saddens me to hear this because after the Wombat the T. Devils are my favorite Aussie critters. I just adore them and the noises that they make. And this sounds like such a devastating and cruel problem for them. I do hope that they will discover a cure and be able to help these little animals soon! There are so many unique and wonderful animals down under that does not exist anywhere else in this world and they have been there for so very very long. It is a horribly sad affair that in such a short time comparatively to how long they have existed, that man has come in and brought desease and devastation to a very unique and beautiful continent.

Memosa #254207 Jan 3rd, 2009 at 11:07 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
You are right, we are ruining the environment and have lost a lot of species. We in Australia have a terrible history in this regard, but thankfully that is starting to turn around now. One of my biggest beefs is the whaling that goes on in the southern ocean by the Japanese in the name of science- of course, it has nothing whatsoever to do with science. It is a disaster, especially when you see the barbaric way they kill these very intelligent animals.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the bottlebrush. These are natives of Australia and New Caledonia, as I understand it. They are related to paperbarks. Some have been imported to the Everglades, and probably represent some kind of threat to the natural ecology there. We have 3 in our back yard; ours all grow red flowers when they flower in spring. They have finished their flowering now. I have seen yellow ones around, but red seems to be the most common. When they flower later this year (around September/October), I will post some photos if you are still interested.

Eternity
stevie_g #254249 Jan 4th, 2009 at 08:58 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
When are you Australians gonna get some sense and STOP reversing your Seasons and climate gradients and turn them back to normal like we have in the Northern Hemisphere. AND what's going on with your CLOCKWISE spiral of water when you flush the toilet? You think your cute being different, don't you? teach nono neenee lol

[Linked Image]

stevie_g #254254 Jan 4th, 2009 at 09:17 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
You are right, we are ruining the environment and have lost a lot of species. We in Australia have a terrible history in this regard, but thankfully that is starting to turn around now. One of my biggest beefs is the whaling that goes on in the southern ocean by the Japanese in the name of science- of course, it has nothing whatsoever to do with science. It is a disaster, especially when you see the barbaric way they kill these very intelligent animals.

Oh you don't even want me to get started on the barbaric way humans kill animals of high intelligence and others such as seals, dolphins, and so many others.

Sorry, I forgot to answer your question about the bottlebrush. These are natives of Australia and New Caledonia, as I understand it. They are related to paperbarks. Some have been imported to the Everglades, and probably represent some kind of threat to the natural ecology there. We have 3 in our back yard; ours all grow red flowers when they flower in spring. They have finished their flowering now. I have seen yellow ones around, but red seems to be the most common. When they flower later this year (around September/October), I will post some photos if you are still interested.

And yes, I would like to see photos of bottlebrushs especially those of other colors. I have only seen the reds. But as much as I have loved what I have seen now that you tell me that they may be threatning to our natural ecology in some manner then I guess that I will not try and get any. But they are beautiful.

Memosa #254336 Jan 4th, 2009 at 01:07 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Thorny reads the above comments while eating a bowl of Gorilla/Seal/Dolphin stew (For scientific reasons, of course).

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254452 Jan 4th, 2009 at 06:59 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
If it's for scientific purposes, then that's okay! Speaking of science, it's scientifically proven that a clockwise flushing spiral is more efficient than anti-clockwise. That's why we do it. I can't do much about the seasons, but if I could, I'd make it rain here for about 6 months. Of course, there is only one who can do that- Memosa mentioned Him in another post!

Eternity
stevie_g #254458 Jan 4th, 2009 at 07:18 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
And you can bet on that! [Linked Image]

Memosa #254482 Jan 4th, 2009 at 07:53 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I tease all my Aussie friends about the weird effects of being in the Southern Hemisphere. Your South is our North and vice-versa. Winter is Summer, spring is Fall, etc. etc. I bet you eat Prawns and put fried eggs and beet root on your hamburgers (I tried that......it's DELICIOUS). And what about Vegemite on toast. My friend Myrabye Tomlinson in Ballarat told me about the hamburgers and vegemite. She likes hers on burnt toast. I've looked but so far can't find Vegemite or Maramite in our stores here. I'd LOVE to try some. Our daughter goes to Scotland several times a year to see her fiance and brings me back Scottish treats like Marmalade......YUCK!!!! The shortbread is wonderful.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254497 Jan 4th, 2009 at 08:45 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Yes, I wanted to try the vegemite also. My freinds were going to send me some but I think that they no longer will allow them to ship that out of the country. From what I understand they have put a ban on shipping lots of food products out of there. In fact I have stopped sending them some things from here because I no longer know what they will and will not allow through customs there. And with what it cost to mail things there I can't afford to waste money sending something that they will not allow through. However, about 4 years ago I did send Helen some canned pumpkin and recipes for pumpkin pie and pumpkin cobbler. They had never eaten pumpkin as a desert. Of course I also had to send measuring cups and spoons so that they could measure it to my recipes because neither of us could convert from ounces and stuff to metric. Did manage to convert the cooking temp. but that was all. This year I sent them all tee shirts from here and it cost more to mail the shirts (which was really a light weight package ) than I spent on all 4 shirts.

Memosa #254506 Jan 4th, 2009 at 09:17 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Our diet is very similar to what you have in the US, apart from a few small details. Vegemite is of course one of them. If you do happen to find some, the most important thing to remember is, it's not Nutella (or whatever you call your chocolate spread over there)!! You need to spread it very thin! I do eat it in the mornings, but have never had it on hamburgers.

Yes, we don't tend to eat pumpkin for dessert. There is also a scientific reason for this, and I will let you know what it is as soon as I find out myself.

Eternity
stevie_g #254508 Jan 4th, 2009 at 09:34 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Pumpkin Pie, turkey, and cranberry sauce is the tradition of our holiday, Thanksgiving, a Holiday devoted to giving thanks and Gluttony. I usually get a bite of turkey and cranberry sauce and two or three LARGE Pumpkin Pies, about 25-30 cm in diameter that weigh about 1/2 to 1 Kilo apiece (yes, I am quite comfortable with the Metric system). Pumpkin pies are VERY sweet and spicy, seasoned with cinnamon. cloves, ginger, and other seasonings. Then you put a dollop of whipped cream on top and you are in heaven. Thanksgiving always occurs on the last Thursday in November for some reason.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254524 Jan 5th, 2009 at 02:30 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
With a good coffee, I think I could handle some of that!!

Speaking of units of measurement, I was given a garden thermometer at Christmas, and it has both °F and °C. Now I will know what you guys mean when you say it's 70°; I'll be able to check it against the proper scale!! If it hit 70 in our scale, there would be a lot of dead people (although I have seen it hit 48.5 when I lived in Port Hedland, WA (that's about 119 in your scale).

Eternity
stevie_g #254540 Jan 5th, 2009 at 06:42 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
very interesting reading here! I love to hear about other countries and their culture and animals and the directional flow of their toliets.
let me show my ignorance here for a second and ask what is the difference between a wallaby and a kangaroo?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #254549 Jan 5th, 2009 at 07:33 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
They're both marsupials, meaning mothers carry their young around in built-in pouches. And scientists have even grouped them into the same order, family and subfamily.

The most obvious difference between the wallaby and the kangaroo is size. As a rule, the kangaroo is generally much larger than the wallaby. The kangaroo has more height between its ankles and knees, which makes its legs seem out of proportion to its body. The kangaroo's legs are built for speed on open terrain. The wallaby's more compact legs are built for agility in forested areas. Although there are many different species of both wallabies and kangaroos that span a wide range of sizes, wallabies only tend to weigh between four pounds and 53 pounds (2 kg to 24 kg) and grow a mere 12 inches to 24 inches (30 cm to 104 cm) tall, not including their tails [source: "Wallaby"]. Kangaroos, on the other hand, can grow to heights of 8 feet (2.1 meters) and weigh as much as 200 pounds (91 kg) [source: Microsoft Encarta].

Another simple way to tell a wallaby and a kangaroo apart is by their coloring. A wallaby's coat is usually brighter with two to three different colors. For example, the unfortunately-named "red-necked" wallaby's grayish body is distinguished by reddish markings around its shoulders. The kangaroo's coat is usually less splashy and more uniform, with muted colors like brown or gray.

Memosa #254556 Jan 5th, 2009 at 08:24 AM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
awwwwww! ok.
I guess by the picture I couldn't really get an idea of the their size.
Well, you learn something new everyday.
thanks for the info.

Cricket

cricket #254595 Jan 5th, 2009 at 01:45 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Memosa, you answered it better than i could. I usually just go by their size. Kangaroos can be aggressive, and it's best not to mess with them. Wallabies are usually very gentle, in my experience. If you reckon these ones are cute, you will love the quokkas. We saw these guys when we visited Rottnest Island last Christmas holidays. They are gorgeous! I will go through my photos and post one soon. Meanwhile, you can see what they are like at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quokka

And as for the directional flow of our toilets, I'm taking Thorn's word on this one- I haven't actually checked. Tell you what, I'll check here, and you guys check there, and we'll see if it's true!

Eternity
stevie_g #254616 Jan 5th, 2009 at 05:49 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Oh, no need to question thorn. He's our gooruu of gooru! teach the 'great bowanna' teach the teacher of all things teachable..... haha ok, that may be a little over the top! neenee
I beleive your toilets flush the wrong way because your huricanes also rotate in the wrong direction.

Last edited by cricket; Jan 5th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.

Cricket

cricket #254634 Jan 5th, 2009 at 06:50 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
The bit about the hurricanes is probably true, although we call them cyclones, but I checked the toilet, and it just seems to flush in a downward direction, with no rotatory motion, so I reckon Thorn's authority on this matter could be called into question nono. I will have to check the bath at home, and see which direction the water drains.

Eternity
stevie_g #254637 Jan 5th, 2009 at 06:57 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
The bit about the hurricanes is probably true, although we call them cyclones, but I checked the toilet, and it just seems to flush in a downward direction, with no rotatory motion, so I reckon Thorn's authority on this matter could be called into question nono. I will have to check the bath at home, and see which direction the water drains.

haha

Cricket

cricket #254662 Jan 5th, 2009 at 08:05 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OH. Ye've got them dam British toilets that flush straight down. My daughter says that's what they have in Scotland. Ours spiral down in a counter-clockwise direction. I'll ask some of my buddies at Oxford University in London about that. I am a member of Galaxy Zoo< based at Oxford, where we classify never before seen galaxies and DEEP space objects. I've been with them from the day they started and have personally classified over 7,000 NEVER before seen galaxies. We've already classified over 1,000,000 galaxies and have made some ASTOUNDING discoveries. Anyway we have a forum for socializing where we discuss everything! Brian May, the lead guitar player for Queen, is now an Astronomer with a PhD in Physics and Astronomy at Oxford and is a sometimes commentor. He talks about his music as well as Astronomy.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254663 Jan 5th, 2009 at 08:06 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Those Quokkas are ADORABLE!

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254722 Jan 6th, 2009 at 01:53 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
That must keep you busy! I love looking at the moon through my spotting scope, but haven't got anything for serious astronomy. Maybe one day when I have some spare money....(ha ha)

Queen, now that was a talented band. They don't make 'em like that any more! Freddie had such an amazing voice.

Yes, you just want to take some Quokkas home, when you see them. I imagine that would incur a fairly hefty fine, though.

Eternity
stevie_g #254739 Jan 6th, 2009 at 03:51 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
That must keep you busy! I love looking at the moon through my spotting scope, but haven't got anything for serious astronomy. Maybe one day when I have some spare money....

Wow I know, all I have is a pair of binoculars that I try to star gaze with ( and look for UFOs ) and it drives me crazy because I want a telescope so much. Don't know where I would put it if I had one, on my roof I guess that way I could also get a birds eve view when a hurricane is about to blow me away, but still I really really want one.

Memosa #254750 Jan 6th, 2009 at 04:55 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I don't have a telescope. We are sent pictures of never-before-seen deep space objects, taken with a computer-controlled, robotic telescope located in New Mexico. The images are stored on computers at Oxford University in London and then sent out to us for simple analysis. The odd ones we flag and send to the Oxford Astronomers who further process them. The pictures we are sent are of galaxies and objects that have NEVER been seen by a human being before. YOU are the FIRST human to EVER see them. I reported the largest merger of galaxies around the most massive black hole ever discovered to-date. There appear to be 4 or 5 HUGE galaxies being sucked into an even BIGGER black hole, billions of light-years away. They are now researching it further. A 25 year old Schoolteacher in The Netherlands discovered a new TYPE of deep-space object that has never before been seen. Her name is Hanny. She teaches 10-12 year olds by day and plays guitar in a rock band at night, and in between times does Astronomy. The thing she discovered has been named, "Hanny's Voorwerp". It is a gigantic, glowing, green object with a ghost-like shape. It is NOT a galaxy......REALLY creepy! "Voorwerp" means OBJECT in Dutch.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254788 Jan 6th, 2009 at 06:12 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
That's awe-inspiring! It's hard to get your head around some of the numbers associated with astronomy.

Memosa, if you ever do get a telescope, I have read that it's important not to buy a cheap one; they are useless. When they advertise 500 or 700 times magnification, those numbers are not a good guide to how good the telescope is. But there are websites that will tell you what to look for in a telescope.

Eternity
stevie_g #254802 Jan 6th, 2009 at 07:34 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Hey I would settle for even cheapies right now. Anything in the telescope range has got to be better than a pair of binoculars.

Memosa #254827 Jan 6th, 2009 at 09:05 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Here's a link I looked at when I was thinking of buying a telescope a couple of years ago.

http://astronomy.concreteairship.com/scope.htm

I've settled for a spotting scope....for now. When I'm rich (but hopefully not famous), I will buy a good telescope.

Eternity
stevie_g #254829 Jan 6th, 2009 at 09:14 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The most important thing is LIGHT gathering rather than magnification. The bigger the diameter of the front of the telescope the more light and the better the picture. The ONLY time I ever saw the Andromeda Galaxy was through a pair of $35.00, Tasco, 10 X 50 binoculars. It was BREATHTAKING! I also saw Halley's Comet that night through the same binoculars.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254831 Jan 6th, 2009 at 09:22 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Here is a picture of that Huge Merger around that Huge Black Hole I reported. The Black Hole is, of course, invisible, since light CAN'T escape it, but you can see the effects of it on the galaxies being pulled towards it and stretched. Two of them, at the center, appear to be one, a red half, and a whitish-yellow half. These are the actual colors, and I was the first person to see it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Thornius; Jan 6th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254833 Jan 6th, 2009 at 09:34 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Hanny's Voorwerp is the green cloud at the bottom of the picture.

HANNY'S VOORWERP
[Linked Image]

HANNY VAN ARK
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thornius #254901 Jan 7th, 2009 at 06:28 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Oh my Stars those are magnificent! But the green Hanny's Voorwerp looks like Kermit the Frog in space ( Look closely with your imagination here ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image