Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I always receive these two catalogs and it all looks good but I haven't ordered from them. Anyone have any experience with either of the companies?

- Rosemarie

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have ordered from both in the past and have been satisfied. When you order plants from a catalog they don't sgow up at your door all beautiful and fluffy. hey take some babying along sometimes but they have always lived up to my expectations. One time I had some that didn't do well (probably user error) and I got my refund or replacement plants in good order from H. Fields.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Hi,

The only comment that I would make about Gurney's, is that sometimes you will have to wait a while for things to bloom. Example: I bought a peony bush, many many many years ago. Got it in fine shape and planted it. Didn't expect it to bloom that summer, which it didn't. Didn't bloom the next summer or the next...........took 3 years. So, one reason they are inexpensive, is that they send you a healthy, but tiny piece of plant. My plant has, however, survived through all these years, and looks fine now, just took a while to get there.

Carol

I used to order from them in the years past every year. Starting about 5 years ago their customer service and products starting slipping in my opinion. I would suggest you go to Dave's watchdog and read the reviews left there for both. Not real good. I usually go there anymore and check a business the first time I'm considering doing business with them. Good luck. JD
The link is http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/185/

OP Offline
Thank you for the tips! I'm always so enticed by the catalogs but I guess I could buy much of what I'm looking for locally. We have some Amish/Mennonite farms in the area that may be a good place to go.

- Rosemarie

I used to order from both many years ago. Did alright. Now use Johnny's Select seed, The Natural Gardening Company (awesome tomoto and pepper plants), Territorial seeds, Peaceful Valley Farm Supply, Gardens Alive!, and some from Cook's Garden and John Shepper's Kitchen Garden seeds. These are mostly organic or biodynamic and plants and seeds perform well. Use Raintree Nurseries for dwarf fruit trees.

glenair
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I just received an order from Henry Fields and the plants look good, very healthy. I think they'll be ok.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
My dad often orders from Henry Fields--& has always had good luck with them. I myself have ordered from Gurneys & I was sent a tree that instead of being a bare root was dead----so be careful with them.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have actually ordered from both and have had few issues. And the plants that didn't make it were refunded without problems (when I remembered to keep track and bother asking).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I just ordered some onion seeds from Johnny's Select seeds to share with dodge. One of the envelopes said 345 seeds but there wasn't even 1/4 that. I called, talked to a real person (imagine that), and he's sending more.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image