Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#253322 Jan 1st, 2009 at 03:05 PM
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
I know that there are many different types of mixtures, but I would like a moist tasty recipe... Any ideas?

[Linked Image]
glenda #253325 Jan 1st, 2009 at 03:12 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
glenda, i'm thinking this is one of those things that are getting misunderstood in crossing the atlantic. why i don't know what it is, to give you a recipe. at least not by that name. can you help?

#253339 Jan 1st, 2009 at 04:06 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Glenda If your talking about a loaf of sorts,, I think I know what you mean, why
A lady at work that is a vegetarian brought a loaf to work,, She calls it a nut Loaf,
I have to admit, I didn't want to try it, But when I did,,and It was okay , I don't like mushrooms so it didn't do much for me,, BUt I have to admit, it was with good flavor and moist! ,, She says she uses it in place of meats and it can be eaten at any meal, and even slices it thin to eat with crackers or biscuits or have as a sandwich, or breaks it up in salad,,,,,,, She had recipe cards already made up ,, she says once someone trys it they want her recipe! lol I doubt I will ever make it But I took a card anyway,, notme
Is this the same thing your talking about?? why

1 1/2 cups finely chopped leeks
1/4 cup oil (I used about half that)
6 medium mushrooms, finely chopped
4 plum s tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup ground almonds
1 cup ground cashews
1 cup ground hazelnuts
1/2 cup sunflower seed meats
1 large green apple, cored and grated
1 1/2 cups small breadcrumbs( soft is better)
3 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon sage
3 eggs slightly beaten,, Or egg substitute equivalent to 3 eggs
3 tablespoon tamari (or soy sauce)

Directions:

Gently saute leeks in oil until soft but not browned. Put them into a large bowl and add all remaining ingredients except for Eggs and tamari. Mix well. Add Eggs and tamari to other ingredients, stir well, and allow to stand for 10 minutes.

Firmly pack into oiled loaf pan. Place loaf pan in a baking dish, and add water halfway up the loaf pan. (You might need to replenish the water bath while baking). Bake at 400 F for 1 hour, then reduce heat to 350F for another 1 1/2 hours. The top should be dark brown but not black. Allow roast to stand for five minutes before loosening sides and turning out onto serving platter.
The Apple is Key in this recipe,

If this isn't what a nut roast is, would you please explain?? teach

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #253701 Jan 2nd, 2009 at 01:37 PM
glenda Offline OP
3k Posts
OP Offline
3k Posts
YES! That is it.
I am a vegetarian, I used to regularly cook a nut roast, then I stopped, lost the recipe and tried a few diferent ones, but none were moist.
This looks vaguely familiar, I shall have a go with it. THANK YOU.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image