Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#249735 Dec 16th, 2008 at 03:09 PM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
I love my chocolate mint plant! I had it in the window facing NW, then this chill came.. below zero outside, and poof.. I barely have a sprig poking out of the potting soil. Do they go dormant? It was trying to reproduce, it had new sprouts of growth everywhere.

Thanks for any help.

Lorena

[Linked Image]
"My Treasures do not clink together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb
Lorena #249736 Dec 16th, 2008 at 03:22 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Mine do go dormant even in southern California when it gets cool. The nicest part is they come back with warmer weather. I am not to sure what you should do with yours during its dormancy indoors because mine lived outdoors year round. So I am not sure how you should treat it now. But I believe it will come back for you in spring.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #249737 Dec 16th, 2008 at 03:32 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
same here. my choc mint is outdoors. it looks pretty pathetic right now with the cold weather, but comes back every year. it's grown as a ground cover down here sometimes. yours should come back no prob. I'd cut back on the watering though since there is nothing really drinking the water. don't let it get bone dry, but just cut back. I didn't know they could be grown indoors. I bet that is a nice treat with the scent and all.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #249836 Dec 17th, 2008 at 03:41 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
They do better outside. Mine when they went dormant inside didn't come back. But I've taken some that you sent me a couple of years ago and brought it with me to the new place. So if you need to replace yours this spring I can send you some.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #256326 Jan 12th, 2009 at 01:48 PM
Lorena Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh Tammy, that would be wonderful! I miss that plant, it has been my happiest Chocolate mint, ever! I sent of a few starts from that plant. I lost it last year, and tried to replace it with this plant but it really didn't ever grow well.

We will see.. our weather is rediculous right now, from minus 15 up to 40 and sunny. Horses started shedding already.. it's too early for that! Our snow level is supposed to get to 10,000 feet in just a few days.

Lorena

[Linked Image]
"My Treasures do not clink together or glitter. They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night"

Old Arab Proverb

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,883
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image