Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#25879 Apr 18th, 2007 at 11:53 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Okay ya'll. After reading threads in our rose forum, I decided to give more attention to the two species in my own garden!

The first one I'll talk about is I think called American Beauty rose. It blooms red and I think it is a grandiflora, not sure. I will have to wait for blooms to find out for sure. I've neglected the poor thing for several years now. blush Mind you, the bush is at least 12 to 15 years old. Surely does "keep on keepin" huh? grin It provided blooms a while back but after neglect, now does not. I'm going to change that and have given my full attention as of yesterday.

I would like to know the name of the rose. Somehow I'm thinking "American Beauty" but cannot be sure of that either. I'm sure we will have to wait for a bloom to get that answer. rose

Take a look.
[Linked Image]

I dug around the bush to loosen soil and gave it a grandular feeding yesterday. Should I prune as well?
rose

floweringchild #26008 Apr 18th, 2007 at 05:02 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I always prune back in Feb usually around the 14th. then thru out the spring and summer I cut blooms off after they have died off to either the 5th set of leaves or the third set of leaves and continue to cut off all dead wood thru out the year,, BUT even in Feb I don't cut it back too far basically I cut out the center criss cross branches so air will circulate to help prevent fungus and black spot IF you have some epsom salt ~ stratch it into the soil,, when it gets reallly humid I sprinkle horticulture cornmeal down it helps with fungus too, I imagine because our weather is simular I would just trim off dead wood and shape it up even tho you've already fertilized epsom salt will be great and it will thank you!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
floweringchild #26022 Apr 18th, 2007 at 05:15 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Diane! I think I will trim it back some. I will put the epson salt down and keep in mind the horticultural cornmeal for black spot and various diseases as I do not use herbicides, insecticides, etc. etc. This is good to know! kissie Where do I purchase the cornmeal?

I'll keep ya updated as to the progress of my rose. I sure wish I could remember the name of it. There very well may be a tag at the bottom. Tomorrow I'll check. If there is not, hopefully someone here can identify this rose/if and when it blooms! rose :wink:

floweringchild #26043 Apr 18th, 2007 at 05:34 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I get my horticulture cornmeal at the nursery But it can also be found at 'feed stores' sometimes in walmart early in the season and pretty sure home depot has small bags of it too. I'll be keeping up with your updates Stephanie.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
floweringchild #26052 Apr 18th, 2007 at 05:47 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks Diane!

floweringchild #26824 Apr 19th, 2007 at 02:09 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I've grown American Beauty.mine was a climber,but was was more shrubby.I don't have any pictures of it.It was a pretty pink.was a double and had some fragrance.There are 2 American Beaty's out there.One.the one with disease issues is not the real one and the real one will bloom alot more.

Trimming it up will help it tons Epson salt rocks!roses love it.alfalfa too.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
floweringchild #26977 Apr 19th, 2007 at 07:36 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Diane, looked to see if I still had ID tag at bottom, but did not. boohoo I'll put the epson salt tomorrow. Did trim it up more though today!

Hi njoynit, So, I'm thinkin my rose is not "American Beauty" by your measures? Mine grows red roses. It did bloom alot when I was tending to it. nervous

floweringchild #28147 Apr 21st, 2007 at 08:03 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
The roses are a reddish pink....a lil darker than than a blaze red rose.You've also got me wondering..............If it was American beauty that survived and not new year.

Here is a bad picture of it online.
http://www.roguevalleyroses.com/product_info.php/products_id/306

This shows some better pictures
http://www.ph-rose-gardens.com/00808.htm

This one shows very close to the correct color.
http://uncommonrose.biz/r/americanbeauty.html

I was watering...in between fishing holes (I came home to lesson my clothes& exchange wet shoes for flip flops)I noticed the bud with hole had opened and lost some petals(damn....I can't count them now.Did the dog eat some maybe?)It just looked alot like American Beauty.And there is a possible chance it is.That was the other rose moved from spot hubby kept trying to mow with no reguards that a rose was what that loud CLANK was he was hitting.One of those 3 roses sent him to parts store for a blade& left a nice gash in deck.which I laughed about.I've got a picture,but camera's in fishing bag& its in truck which left while I was sleeping.I'm near ready to fish with someone else's poles.I got these nice fat juicy minnows looking for a bass to annoy grin

Get me a closer shot of the leaves.The leaves look correct but want to see them better.My SIL in missouri is looking for video of me& Ryan in yard.It will show the roses.Her brother will transfer the video up for us.
oh its not a thorny rose,not like some.

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
floweringchild #28179 Apr 21st, 2007 at 09:36 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hey njoynit,
The color doesn't seem to fit mine. From what I can remember, it was dark red. Thanks for providing those links.

Hubby must have been in the dog house for quite some time for mowing down your roses? lol

Here's a few close shots of my rose.

[Linked Image]

Another

[Linked Image]

Guess we may have to wait til the rose blooms? Glad you are taking an interest in my rose. Sure would like it identified. I'm thinkin the name had the word American in it somehow. We'll see. rose

floweringchild #28237 Apr 21st, 2007 at 11:51 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
It's not just the roses he gets.....................

I've got a dog ordered rose propagtaion going on Arizona right now.2 stems.very thorny B@$*@^%.

My leaves look like that.Thats what I wanted to know.I'll grab a shot later of them.

njoynit #28239 Apr 21st, 2007 at 12:12 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
roses/April202007recoveryrosescreweduphol.jpg" alt="[Linked Image]" class="post-image" style="height:auto!important;max-width:100%!important;"/>

floweringchild #30086 Apr 24th, 2007 at 10:45 AM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
njoynit,
Thanks for showing the pic. Mine very well may be "American Beauty". The leaves do look the same as yours. Can't wait for mine to bloom so we will know. The color seems the same also! Can't wait. :wink:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image