Rate Thread
#257691 Jan 18th, 2009 at 06:22 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm hostessing a party at my house for Fat Tuesday... the night before Lent begins. Traditionally, this is the time to use up rich ingredients from the kitchen so they don't go to waste during the more austere eating style of Lent.

There will be 9 people at my party for dinner and I'm having trouble thinking up a yummy menu that won't involve me cooking for three days straight ahead of time! lol

Lots of people serve pancakes, sausages, bacon, etc for Fat Tuesday but I'd like to turn it up a notch.

We are also planning on turning up the music, dancing and playing games. So I'll be happy for suggestions in those catagories as well!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #257876 Jan 18th, 2009 at 08:33 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I don't really know a lot about Mardi gras, Merme. So I would follow the creole traditions, I guess for ease of cooking; gumbo, red beans and rice, Mardi Gras cole slaw. Maybe some King cake with a plastic baby baked into it (who ever finds the baby has good luck)

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #257890 Jan 19th, 2009 at 05:25 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
yam biscuits is tradition also,, for breakfast, yam pancakes,, with pecan syrup for both
Also the one who finds the dried red bean or tiny plastic baby (representing Christ Child) in the King cake is the one that not only will have good luck in the new year but also has to host the Mardi Gras fat Tues party for next year,
,, as Tina said,, creole recipes is the way they do it here,, jambalaya is easy,, any seafood dish ,, any kind of, like seafood salad,,
crawfish,,
shrimp,,
crabcakes,
fried catfish,,
egg dishes,, representing New life,, egg salads, deviled eggs,, , egg quiches' etc
Bread pudding
layered puddings/pies

Golds and Purples are the colors primarily used in decorations,,,, Represents Royalty for the Christ child,,

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #257894 Jan 19th, 2009 at 07:56 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
All good ideas!
My wife has been to Mardi Gras many times but I've never been.
The deviled eggs sound pretty easy...I love 'em myself. I've tried using a tiny dab of black caviar on top...paprika is a traditional garnish around here...They're great with a single pre-sliced olive on top, or I use pimientos out of a little 4 oz jar, yum.
Red Beans and rice for sure, add a little heat if you can take it, and wife says bacon or sausage is traditional...I always thought Andouli sausage, she says pork is traditional as well.
Shrimp wrapped in bacon and broiled would RULE, esp w/ a slice of jalapeno pinned to it all with a toothpick...mmmm, jalapenos...

dave
peppereater #257932 Jan 19th, 2009 at 01:15 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
DURN! Where'd all these strings of cheap plastic beads come from?

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #257946 Jan 19th, 2009 at 04:00 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
crayfish Etouffee maybe. Seems like a lot of work. Beer is what I've noticed most at Mardi Gras.

Bestofour #258027 Jan 19th, 2009 at 08:05 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
two words....Moon Pies!

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #258326 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 09:42 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sheri I probably couldn't get crayfish up here. Crabs aren't even the same as what you guys are used to.

We have lobster & shrimp, though.

I would like shrimp wrapped with bacon. So would all of my guests. A couple of years ago I served both pineapple wrapped with bacon and water chestnuts wrapped with bacon and BBQ sauce and both were a big hit.

I hate moon pies. I'm thinking of a charlotte.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #258341 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 01:49 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
An R. O. C. Cola and a Moon Pie. Now THAT'S a feast!!!! And throw in a Goo - Goo candy bar for dessert!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #258430 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 07:05 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Originally Posted by Thornius
An R. O. C. Cola and a Moon Pie. Now THAT'S a feast!!!! And throw in a Goo - Goo candy bar for dessert!

Yep, you know how to celebrate Mardi Gras! But after the dinner you have to retire for cocktails and wash it all down (and yourself away) with a refreshing drink called a Hurricane. Of course the best comes from Pat O'Brians and if you can't be there for a real one you have to fake it as best you can.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
Memosa #258452 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 07:44 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Originally Posted by Memosa
...refreshing drink called a Hurricane. Of course the best comes from Pat O'Brians and if you can't be there for a real one you have to fake it as best you can.
unless you get it from rosie o'grady's. that's pretty good too thumbup

merme, want me to find a hurricane drink recipe?

#258453 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 07:54 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Hurricane (serves 2)
Ingredients

* 4 ounces rum (preferably 2 ounces each of light and dark rum)
* 2 ounces passion fruit nectar
* 1 lime, juice of
* 1 teaspoon superfine sugar
* ice

Directions

1.Mix rum, passion fruit syrup, lime juice and sugar in a shaker until sugar dissolves.
2.Pour over ice.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #258463 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:09 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
A non-alcoholic version called Eye of the Hurricane
Makes almost half a gallon
* 1 (12 ounce) can frozen tropical punch concentrate, thawed
* 1 (7 ounce) bottle roses sweetened lime juice, chilled
* 1 (1 liter) bottle Sprite or 7-Up soda, chilled
Stir all together. Serve over ice.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #258464 Jan 22nd, 2009 at 10:35 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Jiffy ~ is the recipe Tina posted similar to what you know?

I have directions for a drink called "Storm Of The Century Hurricane" and it consists of

light rum
dark rum
coconut rum
vodka
gin
Chambord (raspberry liqueur)
Triple Sec
OJ
orange slices
Marrishino cherries

But I'm really leaning more toward something like a Trinidad Creme Punch (Ponche de Creme).... because there will be little kids at this party.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #258749 Jan 24th, 2009 at 10:25 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
merme, your's is closer to what i know. you serve them in a tall glass over crushed ice, and put a gin soaked sugar cube on top and light it at serving. they are called flaming hurricane. i'll dig out the recipe.

they have a 2 drink per person limit (back in the day, i'm sure it's one now) because they are very strong. you use full shots of each liquor and serve them in hurricane glasses which are stemware that is shaped much like the globe from an oil lamp (hurricane lamp is what we called them growing up, i'm sure you get the point).

#258759 Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:04 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
ok, i did some research and spent some time jogging my very slow memory and here is what i remember a //www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=258760#Post258760 to be. this is a drink best sipped with 2 or 3 people having straws in one glass.

1 shot light rum
1 shot dark rum
1 shot spiced rum
1 shot coconut rum
1 shot vodka
1 shot sloe gin
1 shot Bacardi 151 or Everclear (save for top of drink)
cranberry juice
pineapple juice
orange juice
grenadine

Mix everything except the 151 or Everclear and pour over crushed ice in a very large glass (hurricane glass if you have them). Garnish with a maraschino cherry, orange slice and pineapple wedge. Top with a sugar cube soaked in the Bacardi 151 or everclear, pouring the remainder of the 151 or Everclear on top. Light sugar cube just before serving. Serve lit.

WARNING - alcohol burns almost an invisible blue, the sugar helps turn the flame orange

I prefer the Bacardi 151, it tastes better to me, but as the alcohol burns mostly off, the Everclear isn’t really tasted. Everclear is pure grain alcohol, Bacardi is made from sugar cane.

WARNING – this drink is a 1 drink per person, served with or after a heavy meal. And plan to sleep where you drink it. Even I, back in my drinking days, did not drink more than 1 ½ and I never drove after drinking one. Because of the juice, you don’t taste the alcohol, and it will sneak up on you.

#258818 Jan 24th, 2009 at 04:51 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
My EX's girlfriends parents are coming to the party. They both work in the food industry & used to be caterers. They have volunteered to make the King Cake.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #258820 Jan 24th, 2009 at 05:25 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is very nice, Merme. Less for you to take on. Have you decided on a menu?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #258876 Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:01 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
One of my guests is allergic to seafood, so I have to find at least a couple of things that are free of it. I had forgotten about this allergy when I made my first menu but Maxi reminded me. I am glad he did!!

So, I'm still searching for more ideas.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #258878 Jan 24th, 2009 at 11:48 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Most of the gumbo I have had is of the chicken and sausage variety, Merme. I like that better than a seafood one.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #259106 Jan 25th, 2009 at 07:03 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
I'm just not sure about the availability of okra in Maine in February, Tina. So, I've been looking at some Jambalaya recipes.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #259108 Jan 25th, 2009 at 07:16 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Okra is an optional item in gumbo actually, Merme. Even my southern in-laws don't always like it in there

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #259154 Jan 26th, 2009 at 08:31 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
So how about just purchasing some Zataran products for a quick fix party food. They have some pretty good New Orleans style stuff and that is mostly what people seem to relate as Mardi Gras staples. Main thing is sthat it is easy and Quick to prepare.
Second what are you doing for decorations and so forth? Did you receive that link that I sent you about party supplies?
Maybe you could have your guest dress up in carnival wear or at least get or make fancy masks and judge the best mask. You could all gather around and have some one throw beads out among your guest. One thing that they do at one of the parades is that they throw out only a few special gold colored coconuts and these are really prized catches, you could get a large gold plastic egg and place a few special trinkets inside, hide it and let your guest hunt for the prize gold egg.
just a few thoughts.

Memosa #259208 Jan 26th, 2009 at 12:36 PM
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
I use file' powder not okra for my gumbo...you use it just before it finishes cooking. And chicken and pork or sausage is the meats most used in the recipes I have seen. I fell in love with cajun cooking several years ago and have gotten several cookbooks and an email penpalship several years ago with a chef in a cajun restaurant over on the Oregon coast who unfortunatly, I have lost touch with. And he never gave me his stuffed eggplant recipe that I was so nuts about. I spend most of February going cajun. I have to buy frozn crayfish tho and they can be kind of hard to come by.

Memosa you have some really good ideas!

[Linked Image]
Fernie #264205 Feb 21st, 2009 at 07:53 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Okay... my party menu, final version:

Appetizers:
Bacon Cheddar Pinwheels
Broiled Water chestnuts w/ bacon & BBQ sauce

Main Fare:
Shrimp Etouffe
Chicken & Andoulie Sausage Gumbo *without okra*
Homemade Hush Puppies

Drinks:
Hurricane's for the adults
Eye of the Hurricane for kids

Dessert:
King Cake
Coffee

I've got crown and beads for everyone. I can't find my feathers so I'm not making the masks. I also got chocolate "doubloons" for the kids which they can win while playing dancing games.

I plan on taking pictures!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #264206 Feb 21st, 2009 at 08:43 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
WOW It all sounds awesome,,,,,,, And sounds like you're going to be very busy,, But having fun too!!!!!!
Can't wait to see Pictures!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,883
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image