Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#259192 Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:04 AM
emarkd Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello again helpful people!

I was recently given a few new houseplants, including this nice Anthurium. It seemed very healthy when I received it but it was terribly root bound in a 4" pot. I repotted it in a larger pot and it's still done quite well, but its started to get yellow spots on two of its larger leaves. I haven't let it dry out completely, but I've been careful to not overwater it. It's sitting about 8 feet from a window that gets morning sun. It's a pretty bright room but the sunlight never falls directly on the plant. I also read that this plant prefers higher humidity, so I mist it every morning. Is this just an adjustment to it's new environment? Am I doing something wrong?

[Linked Image]

Thanks!

I can't remember where I read it but the book stated that Anthuriums do not like being watered with cool water. It suggested tepid water or water on the warm side of lukewarm. It helped mine that I had years ago. Hope this helps.
G

-----------------------We all need more plants!!!!!-----------------------------

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I also water houseplants with slightly warm water,, I think the cold water shocks them like it would us taking a bath in cold water shock

Anthuriums grow best with day temperatures of 78 to 90 F, and night temperatures of 70 to 75 F. Temperatures above 90 F may cause foliage burning, faded flower color, and reduced flower life.

Potting soil( medium)~
Anthuriums prefer a growing media that is coarse and well drained. The potting media should be of a peat moss base with a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, pine bark and perlite. Plants when they are young should be planted in a mix that is not quite so coarse, to retain moisture. The soil should be settled firmly around the roots and the root system should fill the pot before the plant is stepped up to a larger pot size.

watering~
While Anthuriums are able to handle dryness around the root ball, they need to be watered thoroughly and allowed to dry slightly before watering again. Allowing the plant to dry out will greatly slow down the growth cycle. Drying out can also cause the tip to burn and root damage, while over watering can also cause root damage and sudden yellowing of leaves.

Light~
It sounds like you have your plant in the idea like,,,,,
Anthuriums as a rule (indoors) will take about as much light as you can provide them with-but not direct sunlight. Lower levels of light will slow down or cease flower production. The foliage type species will tolerate lower light levels as they grow in some of the shadiest areas in their natural habitat. Leaves emerging under lower light may stretch and/or become distorted.

Fertilizer.
If you are going to fertilize, use a light solution of a 3:1:2 ratio and it is probably best to dilute to 1/4 strength. and begin in the spring,, and never right after repotting,, give it time to adjust first.

Hope this helped grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
emarkd Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm.. I always water with luke-warm water, so that's not an issue. Maybe I'm overwatering it. I've never let it get dry, but it drains well. I guess I'll let it get a bit dryer before watering.

Thanks all. If anyone else has anything to add, I'll be glad to hear it. :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,877
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image