Rate Thread
#260032 Jan 30th, 2009 at 04:18 PM
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
I've been tossing the idea around to get a buddy for my parakeet, Lucy. some of you may remember hearing about her. (my cousins found her out in the wild when she was a baby, then they kinda neglected her for a year before I got her) anyway, she seems lonely. and lately has gotten very quiet. she tolerates us, but hasn't bonded. she still won't get on our finger unless it is hoping on to get up and over and away from us. she doesn't bite. she just flys away annoyed.
So, I was thinking of a parakeet at first. then I started thinking why not go for a cockateil?
any thoughts, or advice? bow I priced cages today online, it seems the cockatiel cages are a bit more. I have no idea how much the actual birds are. a cockateal should get along with a parakeet right?

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Cricket around here cockatiel's start @ $69.00 and up at feed stores and pat shops are normally at least $10 to $20.00 higher. I had a parakeet one time that got along fine with a Cockatiel. but seems like this little loner might prefer another parakeet of budgie. Also have seen these real little parotlets about the size of a parakeet but more like a miniature parrot. Just my thoughts someone else may have another idea.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
So, a budgie is like a parakeet but bigger? are they more inclined to talk than a parakeet? are they smarter? my little lucy is not very bright, poor thing. she doesn't like to get out of her cage, so I remove the top and swoosh her out sometimes if too many days go by that she won't come out her door on her own. she'll crawl all over the outside of the cage in a frantic looking for the open door to go back in when the whole top of the cage is open. ha ha

Cricket

Critter Keeper
5k Posts
Critter Keeper
5k Posts
A budgie is about the same size as a parakeet I have never heard one talk but people have said they can. I had a Cockatiel that talked a lot and Bratbird talks but Wolfman does not even try or act like he wants to. Bare in mind that another bird wont promise yours will come out of his shell or even accept the new bird sometimes they will fight the new bird. Yesterday I saw an Congo AfricanGray wish I could have bought him but $2700 for him and cage while well worth it is way out of my budget line. I tried to talk to him to see if he would talk all he did was Cluck at me then laugh his head off.

Last edited by Jimmy V; Jan 31st, 2009 at 07:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says Keep it organic.

GOD BLESS THE U.S.A. Pray for our Troops!

Jimmy's Blog
500 Posts
500 Posts
I have had many Budgies and Cockatiels. And have a friend who breeds them along with qther assorted birds. My experience with them is that yes, Budgies ( which most people in this country call parrakeets ) will talk but usually it is only the males that talk. And the last 'Teil that I had hated the the little male Budgie that I also had. Budge liked "Teil and could say everything that my 'Teil could say only at a much faster speed and that just drove my 'Teil nuts so I had to move the Budge away from 'Teil and then Budge got depressed so I had to buy him a little girl friend. They were so funny because he just fell in love with her but would get so annoyed because she would not talk back to him. All she spoke was bird talk. He would get right smack dab in her face and repeat words over and over to her trying to get her to talk and all she would say is peep or chirp.

My next house will have no kitchen - just vending machines and a large trash can.
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by Memosa
They were so funny because he just fell in love with her but would get so annoyed because she would not talk back to him. All she spoke was bird talk. He would get right smack dab in her face and repeat words over and over to her trying to get her to talk and all she would say is peep or chirp.

lol that is too cute!

Well, that is some good points you and jimmy have about getting another bird doesn't necessarily mean they will take up with each other. and that was my main purpose. my keet has just gotten so quiet I'm worried she is just bored out of her mind. and when we mess with her she is annoyed out of her mind.
hhhmmm... why

Cricket

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Cricket - we had all sorts of pet birds when I was growing up and this was the one main thing that we were always told, and was true for us. A bird by itself will be more likely to talk to you, while more than one will talk to each other and not so much mimic humans or other sounds.

We had a myna bird who mimicked ever single sound my mom made, because she was the one home most then. He had her sneeze, her laugh, the way she answered the phone and said goodbye on all her calls, the way she called out to my dad - it was a riot, but mom HATED that bird! I suppose no one likes to be mimicked all the time! Plus he was a messy bird - my dad would feed him whole grapes and he'd take it in his mouth and then shake his head pretty strongly, spreading grape juice all over the cage and wall it was next too - sheeeeeesh! As kids, my sister and I thought he was hilarious!

I had parakeets in college, and when I was first married - only 1 at a time. The last one I had was a real talker. As a matter of fact, I remember vividly an occassion where a friend of mine was visiting, and all she kept saying to me was... "doesn't he ever shut up???" Silly girl - we loved his chatter!

My point is... if you do get another bird, one or both might not ever talk "human" talk or whistles for you, since they would have each other to talk to - know what I mean?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots

The last one I had was a real talker. As a matter of fact, I remember vividly an occassion where a friend of mine was visiting, and all she kept saying to me was... "doesn't he ever shut up???" Silly girl - we loved his chatter!

My point is... if you do get another bird, one or both might not ever talk "human" talk or whistles for you, since they would have each other to talk to - know what I mean?

funny! 'doesn't she ever shut up'!
I've never heard a parakeet say more that just one word.
I'm not so much concerned about them talking....well, I thought maybe we could teach the new one to talk? I've given up on lucy learning it, or any new whistles. it's been over a year and she hasn't learned any new whistles and one in particular we all do to her each day. my main concern is a buddy for her. I worry about her not being happy.
after reading all this, though. we may just stick with our current keet?

Cricket

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I just re-read what I had written - I meant that my girlfriend was annoyed with the bird's chatter - not the other way around! why haha

I hope your bird warms up to you - some are just not that friendly I guess, but the more time you spend with it, hopefully it will come around? But as someone has mentioned, the male birds are really the "talkers", so maybe you have a female? You can tell by the color of the cere.

In the case of a budgie or parakeet, they are only sexually dimorphic on their cere. The cere is the fleshy part just above their beak. It is the area of skin around their nostrils. The remaining areas of a budgie body, whether male or female are too similar, often identical, to be able to tell the difference in gender.

However, if your budgie is younger than twelve months, then it may be impossible to visually identify whether it's gender is male or a female. If that is the case, then you will have to take your budgie to an avian veterinarian to be surgically sexed.

To determine parakeet gender yourself, take a look at the cere. It is sometimes possible to identify the gender of a budgie less than twelve months depending on their maturity and coloration. In normal variety males the cere will be blue or purplish.

All female budgie varieties develop a white, tan, or brown cere. The brown ceres tend to be flaky and thick.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
cricket Offline OP
Fencer
3k Posts
OP Offline
Fencer
3k Posts
yes, she is a female with a brown/tan cere.

ha ha......OK, so your friend was annoyed at the bird! that is funny too, although not as funny as a yackety friend talking nonstop and a bird saying 'doesn't she ever shut up'. ha ha

my friend has a couple of parrots. if morgan gets too much attenting the other bird will say 'shut up a..hole'.

Cricket

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Well then since she is a female that would explain the lack of "talking".

When my bird would get too chatty, all we had to do is cover him and he quieted down MOST of the time - not always though - he really was a talker!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,922
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image