Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#26061 Apr 18th, 2007 at 06:06 PM
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Hey ya'll,
Thought I would share this one! This is low-calorie as well as a healthy vegetable!

Grilled Purple Eggplants

Wash eggplant. Slice 1/2 inch thick, then add extra virgin olive oil to plastic bag with Tony Chachere's (creole seasoning), season to taste (or you can use salt, pepper, and cayenne) shake!

I use a George Foreman free standing electric grill on my patio. Grill eggplants for 3 minutes on each side until soft. Enjoy! I like to grill boneless chicken breasts and maybe very small potatoes as well to complete the meal.

BTW - I was recently told there are green eggplants as well.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I find eggplants are bitter if they are not salted and let set for awhile then rinsed before cooking. Is it just me or maybe unripe eggplants?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #26838 Apr 19th, 2007 at 02:20 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Cut Eggplants are bitter if they are not soaked/rinsed or salted/rinsed before cooking. Many
Asian eggplants are colorful.

Take the black beauty eggplant found in most produce sections of the grocery stores. Can you tell which are male or female eggplants? Look at the indentation at the bottom. If it's deep and shaped like a dash, it's a female. If it's shallow and round, it's a male. The male, generally has less seeds/less bitter and more meat than the female. Smaller eggplants also tend to be less bitter.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Tamara, true.

papito, thanks for the cool eggplant site. Hmmm, so I'm eatin "black beauty eggplants". Good to know! Thanks for the info as to what to look for in purchasing eggplants!

When fixing my grill eggplant recipe, I sort of like the taste of the bitterness and the extra virgin olive oil combination. Try it, you may like it! :wink:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image