Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#261398 Feb 6th, 2009 at 02:37 PM
Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
<<-- New girl

So i get my first sets of seeds (ever) in the mail the past few days. Those things are sooo tiny! I was expecting seeds that I'm more familiar with! BIG seeds like pumpkin and sunflower... or watermelon seeds. seeds inside tomatoes or peppers, that size of seeds!!!

I had said in the welcome forum that i was expecting 8700 seeds of one kind of flower. I was also expecting a huge BOX to arrive at the door, not the smallest ziplock i have ever seen, inside a regular envelope. I can't tell one from the next. 8700 seeds fit on my palm (and she said she gave me extras)! flower seeds are definitely the most precious, tiny little things of life i have ever laid my eyes on.

Low and behold i feel a little cheated, but in awe at the size of flower seeds.
The look on my face had to be priceless; however, now i understand why it is such a great reward to plant flowers from seed!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It really depends on the type of flower, how large the seeds are. May I ask what 8700 seed flower types you are trying your hand at?
And no one here is laughing. We have all had many successes and failures. We have all done some really ridiculous things in our yards and then looked around to see if anyone was watching. I keep on telling people I have killed as many plants as I have succeeded with.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
i grabbed up 8700 baby snapdragon(toadflex linaria?) seeds! there are tons of others, the bigger the seeds were, the less i got of them it seemed.

I was at home depot today and it took all i had not to buy any more seeds. was there for my guy's veggies only! I got very addicted, very quickly.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We are all addicted in some way here. You won't regret the toadflax. They are sweet flowers. And you may need every single one of them to make a wonderful showing. Did they come with directions?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
very very little.

"Linaria Baby Snapdragon 2-4 ft full sun Surface sow after frost"

LOL. I guess about all the seeds (i received) have directions that simple! I'd like them to have a manual... because that's how much information i lack in gardening!

Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
PS. all the flowers I picked out were only because of beauty. I still have research to do on some, to see if they will even survive here!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The toadflax will and may reseed for you next year as well. They are an annual which means most of the time they grow in one season and die. Toadflax is one that will seed itself for more plants next year. It will be ready under the snow to start growing the following spring if it likes you.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
if it likes me? lol, they must be picky. I'll keep a radio on in my kitchen window so it can jam all summer long. that should make it happy to reproduce for me! they are very pretty. I didn't know the difference between annuals or the other kinds of flowers! so annuals die, and perennials come back every year. gotcha.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That is about it. Except for biennials. They usually grow the first year and do a winter thing then bloom the second year. Then seed and things.
I didn't really mean if they liked you so much as if they have a happy spot. some self-sowing plants can be so happy in your yard they will grow everywhere and you play havoc trying to get rid of them (like dandelions).

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
as Jonni was saying--no one is/or will laugh at you. And if they get the notion to laugh at someone, you will have to get in line----I am sure I am well in front of you and I have been around here since Oct. of 06.

Jump right in, the water is fine..... lol

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
My mother used look mad that i picked her dandelions in her yard... I would make a bouquet of them and keep them in water on her kitchen table. She would throw them away at night, and i would have to go out the next day and make her a brand new one!
one day she told me to go make her a new bouquet, and i told her no, because she never seemed happy with them. she told me that they were weeds and didn't want them in her yard, nor her kitchen table! so i started picking them and gave them to the neighbors as a gag gift, well mom told me too! and i remember the neighbors faces... and i always giggled when i walked away, after giving them a handful of them!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I did that too, until I found out that my mother was actually allergic to them. Then I spent hours weeding them out of my grandmother's yard trying not to break those long tap roots.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Dpp Offline OP
OP Offline
I was always great at pulling weeds... but I guess i take after my mom when it comes to plants. But I can keep a houseplant... she can't. There is one though, she wants me to prop up for her... have no idea what it is... but it just kind of lays there! She loves it because she's had it for a couple years... and it hasn't died on her yet. With me wanting to plant so much this spring, she even wants me to tell her secrets! Really the only thing i'm able to tell her... is to try and try again. I think the real secret is not giving up, and remembering your faults. easy enough!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,891
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image