Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi,

I am looking for some help. I have had a string of bananas hanging in a very sunny window in my kitchen for 8ish months now. It has been trimmed and shared many times and I thought it was doing pretty good. When it is dry on the top I water it.

Yesterday I found a string of pearls plant at lowes and bought that one. Now I noticed that the new plant is very green compared to my string of bananas which is a lighter green and the new plant has a flower on it (it was inside on a rack not getting any sun)...mine never has. Could I be giving the plant too much sun? The only other place I can move it the sun does not really "come through" the window.

Also, in the same window I have a pregnant onion, living rocks and a christmas cactus...is this the right light for them? I'm just curious as I know no-body with these plants.

Thank you and any help would be appreciated.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It sounds like your plants are doing well in your sunny window. I can grow both in mostly direct sun in my desert conditions. So I don't think your plants are getting too much. Do you rotate your plants as to which side is facing the sun? I am trying to remember if string of pearls is actually a greener plant than string of bananas. But unless they are getting weak and breaking or soft and mushy, I wouldn't worry too much about yours.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thank you I guess I will see how they do. I did notice the string of bananas in Lowes was also darker than mine but I have 2 kids, 2 cats and 3 dogs so places available for plants are very limited :-)

I just added the living rocks yesterday I will see how they do.

Thanks for your help.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm thinking a little food appropriate to cactus and succulents might help green up your string of bananas in the spring when it is time to add fertilizer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
OP Offline
Now that is something I have never done...Ok I will look for it so around march I guess? I am new to indoor plants only have had them the last year or so so this is all new to me. I used Miracle-gro on my outdoor hanging baskets once and they all looked horrible in a week and never recovered so I have steered clear of fertilizer.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Always use commercial fertilizers at half the strength the directions give you. They are in the business of selling more bottle or containers of the stuff. And people always overdo it. Less is better in this case.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,884
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image