Rate Thread
#263364 Feb 15th, 2009 at 08:56 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I've been looking at different Willies for a while now (gnomes that is :P) I was at the 'dollar store' across the street and they have some Willies for $2 apiece, each being about half a foot tall. I've never seen them in a dollar store before and such cheaply so they caught my eye. I noticed that they were not as heavy as the other ones I've seen and they they are painted much more colourfully and vibrant (like the gnomes in Snow White!). The 'other ones' I'm referring to appear to be clay/plaster (like the one Bill sent me). How does the 'composition' of Willies affect their job and longevity in the garden? There were also some really cute angels in a variety of poses. Now that they're increased their prices to $2 on some things, the dollar has a bigger range of garden decor and some of them are actually quite cute and intriguing!

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #263365 Feb 15th, 2009 at 09:07 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have found that the lighter weight ones will break more easily and fade faster. I still buy them. I just don't expect years of service from them. I don't bring them in out of the weather. My willies work all year long. They are fun and at $2 you can afford to let them weather in your garden here.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #263372 Feb 15th, 2009 at 09:42 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
while Tina has a point, why not bring them in and they will be nice oh so much stronger---and yo might try going to Wal_amrt & buyiong osme matte sealer (in the crafts section) and spraying them before setting them out..

before spraying them, I would try "test" spraying the bottoms only (let it dry good before setting back up) to make sure it would not yellow or cloud the new gnome or fairy or whatever. clap

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #263390 Feb 16th, 2009 at 06:10 AM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Kenny All gnomes will be faithful workers for you, regardless of the material they wear, grin In fact some of them actually like to be sprayed with "Clear coat" to keep them protected , Kinda like a sun block, and rain repellent since they are outside so much. :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
angelblossom #263396 Feb 16th, 2009 at 06:34 AM
I wish Hubby would let me hire some Willies. I have the perfect place for them to work...

[Linked Image]

It's a forrest of Ivy climbing 2 dogwood trees. I have a birdbath and bird feeder in the middle of the ivy. I could use their help keeping the the briars from coming up.

Annette

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image