Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OH! I forgot! I am also making homemade hush puppies for the party. I plan on making the dough the day before & then frying them up once people start arriving so they are piping hot when served.

Merme

Last edited by Merme; Feb 19th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Well. I am off to bed. I stayed up as late as I could. Good night all.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Morning, All.

Today should be an interesting day. I have workers coming to fix my septic lines. We have 3 dogs in the backyard where they will be working. One will try to "help" the whole time, one will sleep the whole time, and one...well, let's just say she will have to be put on a chain! LOL She doesn't like too many people for some reason. At some point this morning, I will have to go to the bank to get out the money to pay them for fixing it, and then later in the day, WAYNE will have to go to town. I wish the bank had been a little more understanding with the insurance check. They held it for 10 days before allowing us to pull it all out (today is day 10). And of course, without the insurance check, I couldn't get my lines fixed. So it's all the banks fault that they weren't fixed 2 weeks ago! Oh well. Just pray that the weather holds and stays nice so that they can get the job done! LOL

Annette

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning everybody!

Annette I have never had a bank hold any check! I can't imagine trying to do business with one that had such a policy. It makes no sense in today's financial world & electronic capabilities.

I'm glad the matter is being repaired today & you don't have to wait any longer!

Maxi & I stayed up far too late last night watching Singing In The Rain. He's seen it many times before when he was little but last night he caught the humor of it. So, we laughed a good bit.

Gotta love winter break... laughing with your kid at 2 AM.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Good Morning all....

Our Bank has such a poilcy, Annette, but it is like 24 or 48 hours. (I think this is so they can be sure any check is good.) However they usually say "we have the right" to do this, and then usually they give you your money right then. I will say it may be due to your Banks size. We bank at a smaller bank and many things they give us a hard time with, we go to a larger bank in a larger town about 25 miles away and they act like whatever we want is no big deal---

at any rate, I am glad you will be able to get your money today.... thumbup

Hey Merme, got any coffee left???--I am in need.....

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have had banks hold larger checks or ones they weren't sure about the provenance of.
Good morning. Another busy day for me. But I have a bright sunny day to do it in. And supposed to be mid 70's again.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes help yourself Carol Jean. There is plenty of coffee for you.

It is a ridiculous policy to delay releasing funds for so long. An account can be checked in less than 5 minutes to verify if the check is good. That absurd policy must be based on the idea that they do not want to make a payout until the money has been deposited.

I'd find another bank w/ updated, modern policies.

The last thing people need in today's complex world is antiquadated banking policies! thumbup

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Yes help yourself Carol Jean. There is plenty of coffee for you.

The last thing people need in today's complex world is antiquadated banking policies! thumbupMerme

Merme, I agree with all that you say, so we do frequent the large bank for a lot of our banking needs--
I suspect the smaller banks do not have large amounts of cash availabe all the time & that is their problem when said check is very large. We would be doing all of our banking at the larger bank, but in the winter the smaller one is so much more convient for me we do our main banking here.

Thanks for the coffee--- thumbup

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
My daughter just told me the another day that she's changing banks. She works for a university in GA and her check is directly deposted into the GA credit union. She says they constantly say their computers are down and they can't do any transacting. How ridulous is that. She had waited in line forever the other day got to the window and was told the computers were down so she couldn't with draw any money.

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Morning,
I agree some banks are just after your money anyway they can get it... Carrie's now that is has been bought by Chase holds even cash deposits- now is that dumb or what- are they checking each bill to see if it's counterfit or what! I am trying to get her in the credit union we use .. never had a problem with them ... we've been working on cleaning up her credit rating and I think now they will let her join...they just paid off one car loan and finished up the credit counseling to pay off the credit card debt... hopefully now they can save up for a downpayment on a house .... Jon is doing more classes so he can get a promotion at work making a lot more money too...
It's warming upt nicely this week- already 43* today... really nice...
Nana

[Linked Image]
We use a credit union. I think what alot of it is, depends on the TYPE of check as well as the amount. It was from an insurance company and it was for a large amount. Therefore they hold the check to make sure it clears. They allow you to have $100 the day of deposit, another $400 the day before the 10 day hold is up, and the remainder on the 10th day. There has been a lot of fraud where insurance checks are concerned around here, so that may be the reasoning.

Anyway, I don't need to go to the bank after all today. The folks that were supposed to come out and fix the septic lines had a miscommunication issue. I called and told them I wanted them to put me on the schedule for today because of the bank issue...well, HE heard that I would get the money from the bank and THEN schedule. So they won't be here till Wednesday of next week.

Merme, sounds like ya'll had a nice time last night. I love the old musicals!

Annette

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ick on those septic lines, Annette.
I am home for the day. I think a nap is in order.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Carol Jean I understand well about convenient banking. 15 years ago when I opened this account, I was happy because they had branches everywhere I needed to be & one was right in our little town. Then a few years ago they closed the one in my town AND even took out the ATM! Now I have to go 20 minutes North or about 15 minutes South to the bank and I used to just walk over! ay-yi-yi!

I am home from dialysis but I am exhausted. So I am going to have some coffee & stretch out on the couch until my girl gets here. My back is very bad this afternoon.

Nana I'm glad Carrie & Jon are making such progress! Good for them!

See you all later!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Hi all

Our bank, which is one of the biggest in the US, holds all checks above a certain amount. We got a check for $8000.00 which we deposited and they allowed us to use about 1/2 the funds after 10 days and it was 20 days before we had access to all the funds in our account. We don't have access to electronic deposits until the next day eventho those are the same as a cash deposit. It's all about them I guess. Trouble is so many people committ fraud anymore (or try to) that the honest people have to suffer along with the not so honest.

Sorry about those septic lines Annette....that can be a pretty awful problem to have.

I'm making chicken and dumplings for dinner tonight....anyone else ready for some comfort food?????

[Linked Image]
Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Sounds good to me Fernie.... send some over.... LOL!
A friend of Carrie's from work is getting married in July- she came over today to see what kind of stuff we had left over...was able to give her some tulle and flowers- couldn't find the box of glass votives and holders- they are somewhere down there--- will look again tomorrow- and after we will get rid of the rest of the stuff.... going to have a big garage sale in the spring and if it doesn't sell it is going to goodwill... got to clean out that space some more.
Joe went out to meet his office mates for their every 3 months celebration of anniversary dates and birthdays... transfers... so Mom and I are on our own tonight for dinner- thinking pasta or something easy... I have the boys for another hour or so, till Dad picks them up.
Merme I hope you feel better soon- I am still fighting this sinus/cold thing - with the weather changing every day it sure doesn't help... especially with the wind blowing as much as it is... just makes me not want to move at all with my head pounding away...
Well off to go referee some more... only one more hour!
Nana

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
so pretty much I guess banks are no better off then any of us are huh???

merme I hope the coffee and the rest helps you to feel better.

Annette, I hope wednesday hurries up and gets here for you!!!---

I had a hamburger and alfredo noodles for supper tonight---I could of sure used some of those chicken & dumplins!!!

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
We are having pancakes, bacon & eggs & applesauce for dinner tonight. We are in the mood for breakfast, it seems.

Yesterday Maxi & I tried to release his parakeets out of their cage. We opened the door & left it ajar for several hours. They wouldn't come out. We plan to keep offering them the opportunity & hopefully they will take it. I will never again buy birds from a big store... they are too afraid of people. These were at least healthy, thank God & Maxi has had them a long time.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Mmmmm, chicken and dumplings. I was dreaming about those while I was napping. I'm drinking coffee now and thinking about what may be for dinner in a bit. My dinner. Everyone else's is fixed per request.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Sorry you're hurting so much Merme. Hope you feel better soon.

Nana, I used to "do" weddings for friends. I would make the bridal flowers and bridesmaids' flowers. My favorite ones I've done were fans for one friend, and votive candles in brandy snifters for another friend. It was my wedding present to them.

As far as the spetic issue is concerned, I think that's one reason why I haven't been feeling very well. It has backed up into the basement, and the smell gets kinda overpowering at times. I'll be glad to have it fixed and the clean-up company can come back out to disinfect the basement. I haven't figured it out, but the insurance company insisted on sending the clean-up folks out as soon as I reported the issue, even though it was going to be a few weeks before we could get the lines fixed. They said it was no big deal, they would send them out again once it was fixed.

I found and hung another bird feeder in the yard today. The birds found it almost immediately. I also hung up 2 more humming bird feeders because of the one I saw Wednesday evening. It was really nice watching the bluebirds play at the feeder this afternoon!

Annette

Merme, try laying treats on the table in front of the cage. Or if the cage is hanging, tie the treat to the outside of it. They'll figure it out! LOL

Annette

Super Granny
4k Posts
Super Granny
4k Posts
Annette,
My daughter and I did her wedding almost 9 yrs ago (july) we made the favors, the table decorations, the altar flowers, pew bows, gift card box, wedding party table decorations... we had a yr and a half to plan and do it all, was a big wedding... 4 bridesmaids, and matching groomsmen, 2 flower girls - her oldest was 6 at the time and he was the ring bearer... it all turned out beautifully... had a few people after it ask if we would do theirs too- gave them all our notes and how tos but declined helping- was a lot of work. We also had a reception party for my son and his wife here summer before last and we decorated the back yard for it- we did tables , a gift card house, the flowers ,we hung nosegays from the tent too- upside down, used flowering plants in pots scattered around the yard - made a "fence" to keep the kids off the higher part of our backyard we used the same fabric we covered the tables with, worked really well too and we used candles in jars with wire hangers to hang from the tops of the tent, and the trees, used cintronella in some to help keep the mosquitos away...
Well better go and clean up my kitchen- need to boil some water for my netipot too.. going to make this sinus problem go away one way or another.
Nana

[Linked Image]
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
I helped with my eldest's wedding 6 years ago (she was sort of a bridezilla but she did allow me to help) and I did my middle daughter's wedding 2 years ago. It was a lot of work. It turned out really lovely tho the upper layers of the cake slid off onto the floor before the wedding. It was an exhausting day. I'll help with my youngest's wedding whenever that is but otherwise, I am done doing weddings!!!

The chicken and dumplings turned out awesome! My husband even had 2nds and he doesnt' even like c & d that much. Go figure.

I used to have a parakeet named Harry years ago. All my family hated him because he was very loud in the morning and he bit people. I liked him, he tolerated me. He eventually died of old age. I talk about getting a bird every now and then and my husband always say NO!!!! lol I didn't let him out because I didn't like cleaning up harry bombs off my furniture and his cage was very large and we had a cat who was verrrrrry interested in Harry when I wasn't looking.

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good morning everybody!

Our desk has a drawer for the keyboard & mouse. Last night the bottom of that drawer separated from the sides. We are going to have to move the keyboard & mouse until we can get that drawer fixed. I hate having to do a big repair like that!

We got the kitchen sparkling clean last night and I DO mean sparkling! Using the mixture many restaurants use, my girl did the floor w/ laundry detergent & bleach and man oh man, does it look good! We haven't done that in a while. So today we have to do the living room & bath and then we'll be all ready for our company tomorrow night. Last minute shopping today as well. The only thing I want to do tomorrow is COOK! YAY!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Hi Fernie! You came in while I was typing!

Good morning to you.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
HI Merme!

don't you hate it when furniture falls apart? My computer desk is a cheapo I have to admit and the keyboard sliding drawer thingie has a broke spot on one side from someone (ok me) leaning on it so when ever I pull the keyboard out to that spot, it falls down onto my lap.

How are you feeling today? I am drinking some english breakfast tea nice and strong....want a cuppa?

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes Fernie, English Breakfast tea would go good right now! I haven't had anything yet. The phone woke me up this morning & I am grouchy about that!

I'm particularly disgruntled about this desk because it was rather expensive & I assumed it would last forever. Or thereabouts.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sorry Fernie... I posted before I finished typing.

Yesterday I was in misery with my back. Today I am in good shape. YAY!

Oh & the other thing that irks me is that previous to this time in my life, I would have just hauled the broken drawer out and repaired it myself. I no longer have the right tools OR strength for such a task. Irksome! Maxi could probably do it if I explained step by step. So, we might be projecting on this before too long...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Snow Bunny
3k Posts
Glad you are feeling better.

I bet Maxi could fix that for you with instruction. He'll need his own tool kit soon.

I am heading off to fix our daily oatmeal. Hub doens't like it much but I have lowered his blood pressure considerably and his cholestrol too with oatmeal for breakfast at least 5 days per week. I changed our pancake/waffle mix to a whole grain one so he doesn't know it but his waffles on the other 2 mornings are healthy too!!! I'm sneaky like that.

[Linked Image]
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Good for you, Fernie, for your sneaky healthy choices! thumbup

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
A monkey's cellphone grin

[Linked Image]

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Cute banana phone. There are a million and one oatmeal pancake recipes on the net. Most with super healthy ingredients. I love cruising recipe sites. I do a lot of it when there is no one to play with in the ch.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
So you sent me off looking for oatmeal pancake recipes. There are 85 on zaar alone. Got very hungry but not enough oatmeal left in the house for pancakes. So had toast instead.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
That will be good for Lola too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi & I are engrossed in "Gone With The Wind". It is as good as it ever was!

We are so delighted he repaired & then hooked up the speakers to the computer. Last night & today we spent an enormous amount of time listening to favorite tunes we haven't heard in forever. It is so fun!

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Bunny and I did that a couple of weeks ago. We sent her sisters to bed and then sat up listening to the old 70's tunes! LOL It was a lot of fun!

And GWTW is STILL one of my all time favorites! Has Maxi seen Fiddler on the Roof? He may like that one, too, if he likes GWTW!

Annette

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Maxi has seen Fiddler many times. He owns the video. Actually I think he owns the majority of the classic musicals.

We had chicken noodle soup & grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner tonight because I am saving all my cooking energy for tomorrow.

We've had a bad weather alert. They say we may get up to 12 inches of snow tomorrow so my guests asked if we could move the party ahead by 6 hours. So they will be coming at noon instead of 6 PM. So I've got to be up and about and on the ball first thing because I have so much cooking to do.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I think Maxi and I would get along great! LOL I, also, have most of the old classics. My favorites being anything with the musical scores of Rodgers & Hammerstien. You don't find too many teens nowadays that really get into those movies...especially boys. I'm lucky to be married to a man that enjoys classical music. Of course he enjoys his Metallica as well! LOL

My girls all tend to like the musical classics. Especially the stuff with Shirley Temple. I think we have just about every movie she's made.

Have fun with your get-together tomorrow, and get plenty of sleep tonight!

Annette

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Merme IF you're still Here,,,,,,,, I too Hope you get good rest tonight,, and wake full of energy,,,,,, I just know you'll pull everything off successfully! grin

OHHHHh. I'll say a prayer to hold the snow off for a couple of days :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
best of luck with your party tomorrow, Merme. I too will hope/pray the bad weather holds off for you---

________

Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Thanks everyone, for your well wishes. All prayers and good thoughts about our weather & my cooking skills welcome! lol

I hope to have nice photos to post afterwards....

Safe away home O my palies and sweet dreams to you all.

Merme

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image