Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264801 Feb 24th, 2009 at 06:55 AM
OP Offline
Hi. I have several plants in my office. I have adequate amount of light, and a great environment for them. My question is...my building is old, and there is a sufficient amount of iron in the water. My "Spidey" plants are thriving, but my one philodendrum is not. I did have him in the display window, and i thought maybe he was getting too much light. I moved him, and he seemed to really go wild. I recently repotted him about a couple of weeks ago, and he is so sad. Does anyone suppose it could be the iron in the water? I repotted him with good packed roots (not overpacked)...his leaves are wilty. I used quality potting soil and he has good drainage. I hate to see one of my plants be so sad. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Ohio.

SpideyGirl #264823 Feb 24th, 2009 at 09:08 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
HI SpideyGirl hope this helps, Light requirements for Philodendrons.
Philodendrons will tolerate some shade but prefer strong light. Light requirements for indoors are four to eight hours of filtered light. Do no place the plant in a window where it will receive direct sunlight through the glass.
As for the Water and Soil
Philodendrons prefer slightly moist soil. They like misting of foliage well. In containers philodendron selloum prefers a good organic, loose, and well-drained soil like premium potting soil mix.
Fertilizing Philodendrons
Feed lightly and frequently for good growth and color with a 20-20-20 or similar tropical house plant fertilizer for indoors,I do not think its the iron in the water,I use well water on all of my plants and they do very well.
You might try moving it back to the display window for a few days and see if that helps,they don't like to tightly packed soil,try this and see how it works for you,and good luck,also here is a link to help you troubleshoot your house plants.
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/troubleshooting.html
your friend in gardening.Mike57

No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
mike57 #264827 Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:44 AM
OP Offline
Thank you much! I will put him back in the display window for a few days and see what happens. I had a Peace lily once that did the same thing. I repotted it, and it so wilted! He only looked better everytime i watered him...and then in another day he would just go back to wilting. I moved him from the picture window.(when i put up the christmas tree)...and he went crazy in his new spot. So I left him there...so far so good. I think some onry plants sometimes just need a change of scenery... ha.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image