Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264961 Feb 25th, 2009 at 06:23 AM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
Right now I have a generic bird seed in my feeders, which I am sure contains a lot of fillers that most birds don't even eat. If I change to all blackoil sunflower seed, will I lose any of the birds that currently visit my feeders?

Current Visitors:
Tuffted Titmouse
bluebird
Chickadee
Cardinal
House Sparrow
Goldfinch

Could I expect other visitors that I haven't had yet?

Annette

gwhalh #264964 Feb 25th, 2009 at 07:14 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
If you change to pure Black Oil Sunflower seed, Your number of birds AND your number of species will INCREASE! Look to get House Finches, Cardinals, And Carolina Wrens. Another important thing is to use PLATFORM feeders in addition to the TUBE type feeders. Some birds do NOT like the tube feeders, Cardinals especially! If you spread the BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower seeds)over a broad, flat surface, ALL the birds that use Tube feeders PLUS all the ground feeders will use it! ALSO, don't forget to add suet feeders with peanut flavored suet. Here is MY feeder set-up in MY front yard.

THORN'S FEEDERS
[Linked Image]

You can see an OLD lantern type tube feeder that the squirrels keep demolishing, TWO green mesh suet cages with cakes of peanut suet in it, TWO 97 cent single-port Hummingbird feeders from Walmart, and just to the right of my NEIGHBOR'S overturned trash can, the corner of a metal and stainless steel table that I use as a platform feeder. Here is a BETTER look at my Platform Feeder loaded with Peanuts for the Blue Jays, Titmousen, and Squirrels, YOUR generic birdseed for Sparrows and Juncos (in Winter) and some drinking dishes. OH1 It's also loaded with my OLD Pal, Mr. Mocky, the Northern Mockingbird who cam to see if I might have left him some apple slices smeared with peanut butter. ALL birds seem to LOVE peanut butter, even insect eaters.

THORN'S PLATFORM FEEDER
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #264984 Feb 25th, 2009 at 09:21 AM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
I never would have thought about using an old table like that! LOL I did forget to list the Carolina Wren as one of my current visitors, as well. I saw that little beauty on the window ledge, just outside the window where my computer sits.

I have 2 barn style feeders in 2 different areas of the yard. One hangs in my Magnolia tree and I can see it from my computer. There is also a large hummer feeder in the same tree. The other feeder hangs in the front yard where I can see it when I'm sitting on the porch. Then I have a large hummer feeder hanging on the porch, and another hanging near the regular feeder. There is also a concrete bird bath in the front set-up.

I really do want to add more feeders...in BOTH places. I just need to either become a little more creative with what I have on hand to make more, or wait til I have the money to buy more! LOL I really like that table idea, though. I may have something similar that will work.

Thanks for the ideas!

Annette

gwhalh #264986 Feb 25th, 2009 at 09:32 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I thought that gold finches would only eat finch food because of the size until it snowed last month and they were hovered in the platform feeder eating the sunflower seeds all day. I thought size matters.

Bestofour #264993 Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:25 AM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Goldfinches LOVE Sunflower seeds......but they prefer to eat them right off the flower head. Here are some OLD pictures I took using my FIRST Digital camera.

GOLDFINCH ON SUNFLOWER HEAD
[Linked Image]

GOLDFINCH ON PLATFORM FEEDER
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thornius #264996 Feb 25th, 2009 at 01:28 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Peanut butter for the birds - I will give it a try! What do you think they use for fillers in birdseed that the birds don't eat? We have the same problem with rabbit food; they only eat part of it, and the rest goes to waste.

Eternity
stevie_g #264998 Feb 25th, 2009 at 01:47 PM
gwhalh Offline OP
OP Offline
I tink the fillers are mostly grass seeds. At least...that's what tends to come up under the bird feeders! LOL

And I'm putting sunflowers in my garden this year. I plan on cuting the flower heads a fair distance down the stalk and then hanging them upsidedown in the tree for the birds. Unless I can come up with a better way to hang them...

Annette

gwhalh #265004 Feb 25th, 2009 at 02:35 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Don't cut them at all The birds like to eat thes seeds as they grow.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #265008 Feb 25th, 2009 at 03:02 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Thorn, do you have your feeders grouped all together like that in other areas. I don't have mine all together. maybe I should.

Bestofour #265009 Feb 25th, 2009 at 03:25 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Yes, since I do a lot of photography, I bunch my feeders close together to make focusing between them easier. The birds don't mind a bit and it also creates a LOT of INTERESTING photo ops!

[Linked Image]

Thornius #265121 Feb 26th, 2009 at 03:42 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
now why didn't I think of that. I don't know why I thought they should be spread all over the yard. The birds will find the food wherever it is.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image