Page 1 of 2 1 2
#264911 Feb 24th, 2009 at 08:44 PM
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
I'm not sure if you guys have Costco in the states, but it's a wholesale/wearhouse place here that sells in bulk (maybe you've heard of Sam's club?). I've found their prices for bulbs has always been the best, provided you buy in their 'large' sizes. I remember last year they were all $12.99/bag but this year they're $17.99 a bag...is it just me or does the price jump seem a bit large? The sizes/bulb count were generally the same, 'cept the callas were 6/bag instead of 10/bag last year. Cannas 12/bag, Dahlias 10/bag, Glads 70/bag, Lilies 18/bag...does $20 (with our taxes) seem reasonable?

I've never had enough light and space to start my own veggie seedlings, so I always end up buying transplants. Anyone reckon they're gonna go up to?

Last edited by kennyso; Feb 24th, 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
We do have Costco here as well, Kenny. Our veggie transplants are already available here in SoCal. They are up about 20% from last year so we are seeing it too.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Yep I went By the nursery the other day,,,,, Prices are def' UP boohoo

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
loz
Unregistered
loz
Unregistered
I'll be growing a lot of my plants from seed this year. thumbup I usually do, but I still have to spend a pretty penny on pond plants. They are EXPENSIVE.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Ouch--but I have no idea why I am surprised----
Luckily for me, I have lots of flower seeds so I will try to buy as few plants this year as possible.---qand I am thinking of just planting tomatoes this year.

For whatever reason Rod wantesd to get rid of my raised garden an raise the whole area back where my garden is---and it cannt be done until say july---so anthing I have planted would pretty much get drug out---

this is all so sad--I guess I had better begin to save money for my plants/garden now--

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I haven't checked out the plants yet. I hate to have to do it. I think everything is costing so much more and people have so much less money. I'm going to try and start some tomatoes and peppers from seeds this year. I guess I could get some squash seeds and start them too. I just don't have the room to do it correctly.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
By all means , do so.
My tomatoes are up and peppers too.

Let the squash go up a tree or something.. I used a telephone pole one year.

For gourds..LOL Any trillis will do .....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I meant to start them indoors dodge. I don't have room to start the seeds in my house.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Oh it is warm enought to do that outdoors in your area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
It was 22 Monday. Do you think it's ok to start outside with below freezing weather?

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
No

I didnt know it was freezing there yet>>>>>>>.

DOnt you have a hot bed of some sort ?

Put boards up and glass or plastic on top of a square?

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Dodge,
You have things up outside already????...or did you mean you've started the seeds inside??? It's still too cold here to start seeds and I'm only a few hours to the east of you...I am confused.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I don't have a hot bed but I might can make one. It's been so windy that I don't think a cover will stay on it.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by hisgal2
Dodge,
You have things up outside already????...or did you mean you've started the seeds inside??? It's still too cold here to start seeds and I'm only a few hours to the east of you...I am confused.

Inside .......Hisgirl........not outside.. is to snow 2 maro.

Sheri .......lots of folks use old windows on top , or flex iglass.

One time I used an ole tire and put seeds in the hole part and put a old window there..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge

Inside .......Hisgirl........not outside.. is to snow 2 maro.

Sheri .......lots of folks use old windows on top , or flex iglass.

One time I used an ole tire and put seeds in the hole part and put a old window there..

I've been meaning to do that, but I've never found tires, nor windows...scratched windows work well...the glass doesn't have to be crystal clear :)

[Linked Image]

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Just take 4 boards and make a square .. Put the Old window on top..

b

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
kennyso...

I don't know if ya'll have roadside cheap tire places in your area, but if you do, it's a great place to get old tires that can't be put on another vehicle. Around here, these places have to pay to have the old itires hauled off, and they pay per tire. So if you tell them that you need some unusable tires for a garden project, they will likely let you have them. I have a source of them not far from my house. He told me to come get as many as I wanted! LOL

I'm doing potatoes in tires this year. I never thought about using the tires as a seed starter! i may just have to go get some more! LOL What would you think would be the lowest temp seeds would be able to handle in a set up like that?

Annette

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Just take 4 boards and make a square .. Put the Old window on top..

b

I do have old windows. Good thinking.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Maybe we'll get an answer about the temp later Annette.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Lettuce will take the coolest temp.

Not below freezing.

potatoes would need much later like May 31........In zone 5..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
but....I can put out the seeds in a hot bed now?????

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Try lettuce .....Bit cold for others.. Try white assylum......
But you have to remember to open it in the hot sun.. SO it dont cook.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
kennyso Offline OP
The Man
3k Posts
OP Offline
The Man
3k Posts
try 'wintersowing' your seeds. it's the same as sowing seeds outside in fall, but only in a vented container/coldframe

[Linked Image]

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
OK, so I'm now remembering that about 4 years ago I found an old door with 12 window panes in it on the side of the road during our big trash haul away week. I snatched it right up and I thought we had thrown it away when we moved, but Stephen has corrected me. We had somewhat of a "green house" (cold frame??? hot bed??? why ) at our other house and I do remember how it was built. It had 4 sides (duh) and then had a glass window pane hinged to the top so that it could open easily. Then on the one side (the side opposite that with the hinges) there was a piece of wood that was attached to the outside of the box that stuck up about 12-18 inches higher than the side of the wall of the box. It had holes drilled into it at about 1" increments and then there was a pin that could go into the holes. Basically, the pin was used to hold the window open to allow air flow. So that would be the basic plan that I would follow to utilize the old door that we have. Here are my questions...

1. Do I just fill the box with soil then??
2. I have horse poo in a pile on the dark side of our house, can I mix that in with the soil to make it "healthy"?? (I'm pretty sure it is done cooking, tho I haven't had time to go out and poke at it lately....snow has been sitting directly on the pile and it doesn't smell when I stand next to it)
3. I like the idea of putting lettuce in there....I wouldn't have to buy it anymore. I like bib lettuce and lettuces that I can just snip what I need and then it'll grow back. We are still getting freezing weather tho, do I need to wait a few more weeks or is it hearty enough that now is OK? I'm in zone 5b, so we can get pretty cold. We had seen colder temperatures this year...did get down to around -20 a few weeks ago (lots of people's pipes even frozen and burst).
4. I think I'd like to keep low growing, easy to grow/care for veggies in this box. Ideas??....please?

[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by kennyso
try 'wintersowing' your seeds. it's the same as sowing seeds outside in fall, but only in a vented container/coldframe

kENN
I HAVE ALL THE ABOVE.

Sowed last fall,
2 containers on the porch outdoors, with no results so far.

sowing inside on the heating cable
starting seeds in the wet towel method.. I have geraniums up in 2 days there./
Pansys too..........

I lost my coleus seeds.They did great last year.. Giant ones.

thanks for writing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Originally Posted by hisgal2
OK, so I'm now remembering that about 4 years ago I found an old door with 12 window panes in it on the side of the road during our big trash haul away week. I snatched it right up and I thought we had thrown it away when we moved, but Stephen has corrected me. We had somewhat of a "green house" (cold frame??? hot bed??? why ) at our other house and I do remember how it was built. It had 4 sides (duh) and then had a glass window pane hinged to the top so that it could open easily. Then on the one side (the side opposite that with the hinges) there was a piece of wood that was attached to the outside of the box that stuck up about 12-18 inches higher than the side of the wall of the box. It had holes drilled into it at about 1" increments and then there was a pin that could go into the holes. Basically, the pin was used to hold the window open to allow air flow. So that would be the basic plan that I would follow to utilize the old door that we have. Here are my questions...

1. Do I just fill the box with soil then??
2. I have horse poo in a pile on the dark side of our house, can I mix that in with the soil to make it "healthy"?? (I'm pretty sure it is done cooking, tho I haven't had time to go out and poke at it lately....snow has been sitting directly on the pile and it doesn't smell when I stand next to it)
3. I like the idea of putting lettuce in there....I wouldn't have to buy it anymore. I like bib lettuce and lettuces that I can just snip what I need and then it'll grow back. We are still getting freezing weather tho, do I need to wait a few more weeks or is it hearty enough that now is OK? I'm in zone 5b, so we can get pretty cold. We had seen colder temperatures this year...did get down to around -20 a few weeks ago (lots of people's pipes even frozen and burst).
4. I think I'd like to keep low growing, easy to grow/care for veggies in this box. Ideas??....please?

Good heavens ....You got it made in america......yes you can prepare the soil,
but not sow seeds yet......it is like 20 here now.. Few weeks yet.
I will let you know when my friend does hers.. I dont have one made .

You have a great idea there .

You can mix horse poo and stir it up good..
I use cow cause it is free ..LOL Good luck...

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

There is a way to use composting to warm a coldframe.

Dig about 18 inches down and put a layer of organic matter about 6 inches deep. Cover with 12 inches of soil. Plant in the top layer. The microbe activity in the organic matter will raise the temp of the soil by several degrees. At lest until it is done decaying.

Happy Planting!!!
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I was going to work on my hot bed yesterday but it has rained non stop. I'm pretty sure I've got some old windows in the barn that I can use.

HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Ok......question.......We don't have good soil here for growing (lots of clay and rocks). Where do I buy soil? How much poo do I mix into it?.....proportions. Really, you need to spell this all out for me cause I don't want to screw up! Also, how deep do I want to make the soil in my box?

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Ok, a good basic mix is by thirds. That would be 1 part your home clay (w/o the rocks if possible), 1 part good top soil and 1 part manure.
To get the soil, are you wanting a dump truck full? Or are you wanting a few bags (think like your big 50# bags of dog food)? The bags should be available in cubic feet at your local home centers. A dump truck full will take some research into your phone book and phone. Ask at your local family-owned nursery where they get theirs. Or the local extension office, etc. Research. Ask anywhere they use a lot of planting soil. They may give you names and numbers to call.
I honestly cannot give you the price range for soil and delivery. I haven't a clue. John purchased mine and doesn't remember. I had a dump truck half-load of outdoor planting mix delivered and dumped onto a huge tarp. Covered it with a tarp and have been using that for about 6 years. It is about gone and broken down into stuff almost too fine to mix properly.
I hope someone else comes along with more up to date info for you

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Walmart sells soin in a bag cheapest.

So does Lowes

Home Depot

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Tina...thanks for the info...I was talking bagged soil.

I did see that Sam's Club (owned by Wal-mart, but carries larger bags for cheaper) had soil when we were there last night, but I didn't know if there were specific kinds.

So, I build my frame and then mix my dirt, soil, and poo and then put it into the frame? Sounds easy enough.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
There are certain kinds. Like potting mix, outdoor potting mix garden soil mix. But the differences are not that great. a potting mix will be lighter in weight for hanging pots. So you want to go with least expensive because the differences aren't that much. I misunderstood your question.
How deep depends on what you are growing. An indeterminate tomato will need more room for its roots than a small tomato plant will.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
Right...ok....understand that. Like I said a while ago, I know for sure I'll be growing some leafy lettuces in the frame...cause you can just snip what you need and it keeps growing. Can you think of anything else veggie wise that might be good in the frame? We do not eat tomatoes....tho I do want to grow some for salsa....but those plants can go somewhere else if they need to.

Also, I assume that once summer comes, I'll just leave the window/lid wide open so the poor plants don't fry...right?

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Lowe's has bags of cow manuer for $1.47 each.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes lid off in hot weather and sometimes even coolish weather when the sun is beating down on it all.
Most other non-heading leafy greens can be a success in a cold frame, like spinach, kohlrabi, garlic, small onions, different peppers for your salsa. etc. You can grow smaller carrots in a bin or turnips, broccoli and such (lid up/off when it gets too tall), These are good for starting seeds to be planted out later too. For root crops it is best to omit manure from the mix. Even composted it can burn your crop.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
HandyMa'am
4k Posts
And what about herbs???? Suitable to grow herbs?? I'm thinking that for now, this can be for leafy lettuce, garlic (GREAT idea there!!), maybe some peppers, and then herbs since I've ALWAYS wanted an herb garden.

I'm currently in "negotiations" for the construction of that thinger that I saw over at Sam's Club (in the 'I wish' thread).

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
"that thinger that I saw over at Sam's Club"
That "thinger: is what I thought you were talking about planting in when I first started answering your q's here.
Herbs will work for beginning them but for full growth they really do best in open air flow and sunlight.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bestofour
I was going to work on my hot bed yesterday but it has rained non stop. I'm pretty sure I've got some old windows in the barn that I can use.

my dad has hot beds and a small greenhouse that I am sure has lots of plants happily growing already--patiently awaiting the move to the "main" garden.

many years he get so anxious to garden that he puts out his "Mater's in the main garden far too soon. The garden always has milk jugs on each tomato for quite a while--

He is following in his dad's footsteps----Grandpa's family had greenhouses back in England.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I started some seeds indoors last Sunday and the cukes and a few of the tomatoes are already up. Hope it's not too soon. The tomatoes said 4 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,880
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image