Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#266526 Mar 3rd, 2009 at 05:00 PM
OP Offline
Last year, I got funky berries on my potato plants. Never seen that before. Got very few potatoes on those plants. My idea is that the water never got deep enough to get to the roots and the potatoes there, so the berries were a second chance for the plants to reproduce. This year, changing the watering system to provide more even water all the way down the plant within the hill. Anyone out there have any tips for me for our potato friends? We're growing them in a 2-foot deep planting box, and hilling them within the box, and I'm putting drip-soaker hose in each layer of dirt I put in - so it shouldn't make it too soggy, but provide better moisture throughout. We're using the square-foot gardening soil mix, and making all new for the potatoes this year, but we're not moving the actual box itself. Do I actually need to completely clean out the box and sterilize it, or is new dirt going to be sufficient to prevent diseases and the lot? Any and all information will be much appreciated.
Evie

Were the "Funky" berries green and about as big as a cherry tomato growing in the top of the plant? I believe they are most likely is a seed pod. Pods grow occasionally but the seeds are rarely true to the variety growing. I would say never but never and always proves me wrong.

They keep me in the dark and feed me cow poo-
Nelson from the Show Me State

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image