Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#262940 Feb 13th, 2009 at 04:49 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

I'm here today to ask a few questions on my mothers behalf who is interested in starting a vegetable garden.

With that said I have a few questions that I hope other members of this forum might be able to assist me with, and perhaps guide me in the right direction to finding the answers to my questions.

[B][B][B]1.[B]First of all I would like to know what are the key fundamentals that any one person should know about before considering starting a vegetable garden?

2.What are the fundamentals and requirements that one should know about in order to start the actual process?

3.What have been the best methods, through personal experience to maintaining and up-keeping their garden once the actual process has been underway? Are there any references to ideal "systems" that have been proven to work and be effective?

4.What are common mistakes made by beginners to the field of vegetable gardening?

5.Is there a difference in method of Organic vegetable gardening and standard vegetable gardening? If so, what might that be? What is more popular among gardeners?

6.For anyone who is an experienced vegetable gardener, what are some things that you wish you would have done after you started your vegetable garden? What are some things you would like to know yourself in order to perhaps, increase the effectiveness of your garden?[/B]

7.Are there any recommended books?[/B][/B][/B]

I'm really trying to get a basic understanding here of all that might involve the process of vegetable gardening, as myself nor my mother have any experience in this field of endeavor.

Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all!

EDIT: I'd like to add one more question in here and that is:
If there could exist the ideal product for either an experienced gardener or one who is just new to it, what would (in your opinion) that product consist of in terms of being most helpful, beneficial and insightful?

Last edited by phoenix6; Feb 13th, 2009 at 05:11 PM.
phoenix6 #262943 Feb 13th, 2009 at 05:04 PM
I can't answer most of your questions, but I do know that you deffinately came to the right place!

Last year was my first year with a veggie garden, and my husband and I learned ALOT from that experience! LOL My biggest thing I would have done differently last year was I would have started much earlier than I did. I was out planting in the most extreme heat our area has ever seen (or so it seemed at the time!). We didn't start working the garden area until we were ready to plant. Hubby was still trying to work one part of it as I was planting sections that he had just finished. We also didn't have a very good system for watering it in place. This year I am fabricating a drip system for the garden.

That said, the best way you are going to learn is to just get out there and get your hands dirty. You could drive yourself crazy trying to follow all the latest ways and different advice to grow veggies. What works for some doesn't work for others. So no matter how much you learn from here, there is still more that your own experience is going to teach you.

Have fun, and welcome to the forums!

Annette

gwhalh #262949 Feb 13th, 2009 at 05:25 PM
OP Offline
Hey Annette thanks for your response!

I can imagine, that must have been terrible working in that heat! What Month did you actually start the process of planting? What would have been the best time for you to have actually started?

I fully agree that getting out there and actually doing the work would probably be best, I'd just like to build a foundation of knowledge to work upon ya know?

Anyways hows your garden doing these days? And what exactly is a "drip system"? sounds interesting.

gwhalh #262960 Feb 13th, 2009 at 05:56 PM
Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by gwhalh

That said, the best way you are going to learn is to just get out there and get your hands dirty. You could drive yourself crazy trying to follow all the latest ways and different advice to grow veggies. What works for some doesn't work for others. So no matter how much you learn from here, there is still more that your own experience is going to teach you.
Annette

BINGO! thumbup

First things first. find out what zone your mother lives in. we have a zone map on our home page. 'what to plant when' depends on what part of the country you live in.

second - start small.

and third....cause I thought of it third, but it's really 'first' is SOIL.
soil is your heart and soul!
I sugguest miricle grow, if you don't already have some well prepared soil and or organic matter/compost to add.

keep us updated and keep the questions coming. shots

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
cricket #262999 Feb 13th, 2009 at 07:23 PM
Let's see...I think we started in late May. I live in zone 7, so we really should have started in March or late February. That, of course, for the plants that need a little cooler temps at first. Our latest frost date for our area is around the first or second week of April. (Which reminds me...I need to call Monday and double check that date...) The other problem was that the area we planted in had never been worked for a garden before. AND it was covered in kudzu (the bane of the South!) up until hubby plowed it all under for me to plant. I spent the majority of the rest of the season pulling up kudzu sprouts! He didn't start plowing until I was ready to plant either. We really should have worked the ground the fall before so that it could "rest" a little. We could have put compost and manure in it to help break up the clay as well. So technically, we should have started the process the year before.

The garden is looking much better this time around. I still don't have anything in the ground, but that's only because it's still too wet for hubby to run the disks through. He plowed the last garden under once everything had died off, and when he did, he plowed deeper than he was able to last year. So now it's in very deep furrows that need broken up and leveled out. I need to get my English peas and my carrots in the ground, hopefully before the end of the month. I started tomatoes, bell peppers, and eggplants in little mini-green houses this past Monday, and already have a BUNCH of tomatoes sprouting! I'm really excited about them! They will go in the ground after the last frost, as will the peppers and eggplants. We are planning on corn, potatoes (regular and sweet), squash, pumpkin, cukes, sunflowers, green beans, and blackeyed peas to go along with the others I've mentioned. We even discussed putting in a berry patch this year with blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries.

A drip system is a watering set-up that waters at the roots. You lay it along the rows when you first plant and it stays there throughout the growing season. When you need to water, you just turn it on for however long you need to, and then turn it off. It's basically a rubber hose down each row with small holes punched in it every so many inches that is attached to a main line that runs widthwise across the rows at the "top" of the garden. The main line is hooked to your water supply, either by another hose, or by a direct line with it's own shutoff (if you're lucky!). The water runs through the mainline, into the secondary rubber hose, and hence to the roots of the plants. Last year I had a fan-type sprinkler, and it just didn't do the job at all. Especially in the corn! And I had to keep an eye on it and move it, etc. It was a nightmare for us! They are also much more efficient. The plants get more water where they can actually utilize it, rather than all over the foilage, inviting disease and and being lost to evaporation.

BTW...thanks for the "BINGO", Cricket! I was hoping that I wouldn't offend anyone with that! LOL

And as for Cricket's advice, I've already given reasons for the "good soil" part! LOL The timing is another thing entirely! My seed packets all said that I could plant most of them into June, and while that worked, it didn't work WELL for us. It was too hot to be out in the garden, and we were in the middle of a MAJOR drought. The soil wasn't the best, and so it was like trying to get water through concrete. As for starting small...I think we bit off more than we could chew for our first year, but then again, if we hadn't, we wouldn't have gotten ANYTHING out of it. I think I managed 3 squash out of about 20 plants, no watermellons out of about 15 plants. A handful of blackeyed peas out of 50 plants. 4 cukes out of 30 plants. I think my best yield last year was the 3 bell peppers I got off of 1 plant and 4 tomatoes off of 2 plants. We also had corn...about 1/4 of an acre, and we barely got enough GOOD ears to eat maybe 4 meals.

Hope some of this helps!

Annette

gwhalh #267313 Mar 8th, 2009 at 06:43 AM

Check with your county extension office. They have brochures with great information regarding many subjects including gardening . They can usually be found on line.

They keep me in the dark and feed me cow poo-
Nelson from the Show Me State

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image