Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#267305 Mar 8th, 2009 at 04:03 AM
bernieb Offline OP
OP Offline
Searching for ideas mind you,so here is where I'm at with this years plan of attack. Garden was tilled this past fall and yes lots of clay soil in this area of kentucky, but have mixed sand in through the years and have added lots of rabbit,chicken,goat manure since last fall,and now loading in cow manure rather sparingly. I'm planning on putting down a heavy layer of old bales of hay/straw to keep weeding down and keep ground moist(is this a good idea)? then the plants go in. I really haven't had much luck with this garden through the years .......so how about it .....give me a sign.(looking to the sky).....bernie

bernieb #267309 Mar 8th, 2009 at 06:12 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Start by doing a soil test. That's always the best place to start.

You'll have to check but I believe straw is good but hay is bad because it still has weed seeds in it.

No more manure at this time unless it is aged and with all you've already put in it you probably don't need anymore.

Once you get your soil test results then check what you need against the veggies you want to plant. Then you'll know what you need to add to each row/planting hole.

Also check companion planting so you put things together that are beneficial.

You can probably start your cold weather crops pretty soon.

I wish you all the luck.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #267473 Mar 9th, 2009 at 02:41 AM
Hi Bernie,

Here's my suggestion. Find a copy of of Ruth Stout's book
"No Work garden book: secrets of the year round mulch method"

It is an easy read, humorous at times and gives you lots of ideas. I personally have not tilled my garden for many years. The secret is in the depth of your mulch. I am lucky and have easy access to spoiled hay bales. Works great.

Carol in Pennsylvania

flowergirlcfc #267601 Mar 9th, 2009 at 06:52 PM
bernieb Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey thanks,both replies sound great. And flowergirl I'll look for that "no work garden book" afterall I've been doing loads of work trying to grow that ideal vegetable garden that appears in those spring time nursery advertisments.

Bernie in Kentucky.......spreading manure....or is it slinging.

bernieb #267976 Mar 11th, 2009 at 08:03 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
hmmm, good question, I find more enjoyment flinging some and spreading some!

dave
peppereater #267978 Mar 11th, 2009 at 08:07 PM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
ideally, work manure AND old hay into the soil in late summer or fall so it can rot all winter, and worms, etc. can work it in. You need more than sand alone to change soil structure, and manure will only help so much, especially chicken manure. They have plenty of nutrients, but don't contribute to 'loft' and texture of a clay soil tremendously

dave
peppereater #268097 Mar 12th, 2009 at 05:18 PM

Green manure along with any organic material I could lay hands on was my solution. Winter rye (green manure) planted in the fall and mowed off in late fall, mowed again in the spring and then tilled under. I planted half the garden in rye and rotated the next year. I left the clippings to rot after mowing. Used the municipal compost with mixed results, collected bagged grass and fall leaves to use as mulch which got tilled in. All this was work but it did get results. I have never used sand in my garden.

They keep me in the dark and feed me cow poo-
Nelson from the Show Me State
flowergirlcfc #268999 Mar 15th, 2009 at 11:49 AM
I am looking for a copy of the book you recommended. I've come to the conclusion that preparation is everything! thanks for the tip

don't understand this

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,885
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image