Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#264902 Feb 24th, 2009 at 07:44 PM
NuSkewl Offline OP
OP Offline
I've adopted approximately 60 little spider plant babies. I know they can root in water or dirt. I've got them in a tiny bit of water & the roots are sprouting.

We're going to be planting some of these little guys that have grown roots in water, in dirt this Thursday (02.26). Do all you wonderful green thumbs have any tips for helping these little guys to grow? A bunch of 4 & 5 yr olds are going to be planting these in little cups @ school. I'd like to try & ensure that these guys have all the help they can get, 'cause they're going to need it (w/4 & 5 yr olds taking care of them).

Thanks everyone!! I'm so glad I found you all!! What a great little gardening community!!

NuSkewl #264906 Feb 24th, 2009 at 08:17 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Actually, spider plants are some of the easiest plants to grow. You chose good for the age group. Print up instructions for them (and parents).
Bright light in a window is good. Turn them every few days. Keep evenly moist if possible but they will take a little neglect. But not flooded either.
Are you putting drain holes in those paper cups? They will need a saucer or something under them. When the cups start to split or disintegrate they will need to move those plants to something sturdier with drainage. A margarine tub or a real pot maybe.
And baby spider plants come off the mother plant with roots already started so you don't need to wait for longer water roots to form. Just make sure the root 'nubs' have contact with the potting soil.
Mine grow outside here. I have a row of them in hanging pots along the eaves of my porch. I have to 'weed' out babies that fall off onto the ground and take root there where I don't want them.
In my husband's high school agriculture department we used to host preschoolers all of the time and take cuttings for them to plant and take home. I wonder how many of those 'took'? We supplied, plastic cups, potting soil, tongue depressors and plastic bags and a rubberband so each plant went home in a mini green house. It was fun.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #264917 Feb 24th, 2009 at 08:59 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I have to agree with Tina on all Points,, They are extremely easy to get started ,,,
and the supplies Tina Mentioned is a great idea!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
NuSkewl #268249 Mar 12th, 2009 at 11:09 PM
I have 3 Big spider plant and have made several "starts". I usually make sure the roots are sprouted pretty good, then I fill my pot or glass about 1/2 full of soil. Next I hold the plant and put roots in soil and then add more soil around it. I gently pack it down a little, and that's it. They seem to love it in the sun, they really go to town growing when their in the sun, just make sure the soil is moist, not muddy.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image