Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#268865 Mar 14th, 2009 at 08:44 PM
OP Offline
As far as I am concerned spring is here. I am in Ontario outside of Toronto, zone 5. The snow is melting and I picked up the garbage and dry plants today. I am already ready to get back to gardening.

I am here because I have tried to create a lush garden from nothing. It is a new development area and there was nothing here but clay and rocks when we moved here 2 years ago and now some sad looking grass.

I had 2 summers here. The first one was spent reviving the grass that dried out shortly after it was laid (it was partially my fault, I didn't know the date they were going to lay the grass and when they did it I couldn't find the sprinkler and I couldn't leave the house to buy new for 5 days). The grass was starting to look OK last summer with a lot or work but that only resulted in my hatred of the grass.

I decided last summer that I didn't want to spend my entire free time dealing with grass so I started to remove some and planted some flowers as I could remove the grass. Most of my plants were free cycled or planted from seed, collected from the side of the road, or transplanted from my mother in law's garden.

The ideas are coming I don't even know where to start. I have taken on line courses to design the garden. I have googled, I have bought books, I am trying to be patient. However the biggest problem I have is the soil quality, drainage and run off. Not knowing how to fix these things takes a lot of trial and error and time and energy, not to mention cost. So I hope I can find some advice to correct a few things that are becoming obvious now that the snow is melting. I will post my questions in the appropriate forums and I hope eventually I will have a garden where I can have some weekends to just sit and relax and enjoy the kids, dogs, butterflies and the birds. While I love gardening, I honestly don't want to spend every free minute digging, cleaning, crawling in dirt, hurting my back etc. My reason to have a garden is to enjoy it.

I am glad I saw some Canadians so I don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

Andrea
pookiebear #268885 Mar 14th, 2009 at 09:49 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes we have a few Canadians here.
Welcome from southern California. About 4 climate zones warmer. I don't know how I would deal with your winters as my bones age. I hope we can help you find the answers you need in an economical way and ease your garden path.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #269055 Mar 15th, 2009 at 03:07 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
wavy welcome!

#269067 Mar 15th, 2009 at 04:30 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Welcome Ontario ......This is pennsylvania :ding:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #269097 Mar 15th, 2009 at 06:46 PM
The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
Hi! I'm in Markham, just outside of Toronto

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
kennyso #269103 Mar 15th, 2009 at 07:03 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hey kenny,

i think of you every week.. Ha ha the rosary you made is with me in church.
We say it before mass.

I had lost it for about 2 months .. Hunted far and near, even in church. Last nite when I was feeling not so good, I put on the jacket to go to church and low an behold , it was in that pocket.....I felt good ever since.

thanks again for such a precious gift.....Are you still making them?

barb

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
dodge #270010 Mar 21st, 2009 at 09:24 PM
OP Offline
thanks all for the welcome. I am already getting lots of good advice. Just need the weather to cooperate but spring is here.

Is there a lawn care forum and garden design forum? I have a few questions I am not sure where to ask, or just start a new topic?

Andrea
pookiebear #270039 Mar 22nd, 2009 at 07:21 AM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=7&PHPSESSID=

and

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=18&PHPSESSID=

here you go pookie bear. links to both sections for you.

#270645 Mar 24th, 2009 at 07:36 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Welcome from a fellow Canadian.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,889
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image