Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#267747 Mar 10th, 2009 at 11:25 AM
OP Offline
Several years ago I started an avocado plant from a pit. During warmer months I keep it on my porch where it gets lots of indirect sunlight, but during our cold winters I move it indoors and it doesn't get a lot of light.

It has done okay like this for several years, but this winter (it is now March) it has lost more leaves than usual and now the poor thing is just a two-foot stick with about three small leaves at the top.

I had read that they prefer being root-bound to some extent so I didn't transplant it from its first 3-inch pot until a few weeks ago, when I put it in a 4-inch pot. That's when the trouble started, I think.

Even though it isn't at all pretty, I never have the heart to throw away ANY plant that has any life in it at all. Is there anything I can do for this poor little guy? Thanks so much!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It sounds a lot like transplant shock. It should recover from that and be a pretty plant again. There are commercial things (vitamins) for plants to help them over that shock but they are not always necessary. Just keep on giving it the love you have and I think you will have a nice plant again as soon as you can give it the sunlight it loves again.
And welcome to the forum. I also cannot toss anything that shows the least sign of life. Well except weeds.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #267836 Mar 10th, 2009 at 08:12 PM
OP Offline
That was exactly the answer I needed--thank you so much!

And it's nice to know I'm not the only one who can't toss anything with life still in it. Although I confess that I too have to grit my teeth and do it anyway when it comes to weeds!

Thanks again!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Well some of my weeds include things like spider plants that plant themselves where I don't want them and I have no time to replant in a better spot. But toss, I have learned. A weed is any just a plant growing where you don't want it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #268874 Mar 14th, 2009 at 08:59 PM
I grew an avocado tree as well. I didn't know it likes to be root bound. So last fall I transplanted it into a larger pot as soon as it had lots of leaves, thinking this was a tree that needed lots of room to grow the roots. Well when I tamped down the soil I think I pushed a little too hard and I hear a crunch. I think the pit broke off the plant although I did not dig it up to disturb it again. Soon after that the top branch lost all of the leaves and the lower branch has all of the leaves it did but they look kind of wilted.
Is this tree going to survive? Should I dig it up to see what broke, or it doesn't really matter now since it is too late? Also do I have to cut off that top branch without the leaves? It is only a stick and I don't know if it will have any leaves again. Or should I leave it alone for now? It is 1 year old 31 inches tall and the stick that doesn't have leaves is about 20 inches long. It looks so bad.

Andrea
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
How long has your plant been in its new home? Shock should wear off within a few weeks. If it has been over a couple of months and no sign of life in your 'dead' branch, yes you will need to cut it off. I like a scratch test. I scratch away a little bit of the bark on the apparently dead area. If it is green or moist under there I leave it alone. If it is totally dry I try breaking it. If it snaps apart dryly, then it is certainly dead and I do cut down to living wood.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #269049 Mar 15th, 2009 at 02:54 PM
No need to scratch. It is all green, except where the leaves were at the end about 1 inch tip which is dry and black. I guess I will leave it alone for now. I potted into a larger pot before Christmas so it was a while ago. The other branch with the leaves looks alive but a bit wilted. I water it once a week and soak it well, I think it needs a lot of water. Is this enough?

Andrea

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image