Print Thread
Rate Thread
#269267 Mar 16th, 2009 at 08:48 PM
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
Okay, so now I think my "strange" Pine Siskin was a sick Pine Siskin.

I have had multiple dead birds, all of them either Pine Siskins or Goldfinches.

A coworker of mine called me at work last Thursday and told me about a news segment he had seen on one of the local channels. Here's a link to the story and video discussing a salmonella outbreak in birds in three local counties including Floyd county where I live.
http://www.wsls.com/sls/news/local/...sease_outbreaks_in_goldfinch_bats/30463/

My cat Taboo also got sick and I suspected it was from eating a sick bird.

She didn't eat, except for a few nibbles that I saw, for nearly 5 days. I took her to the vet on Tuesday, and that was where she stayed until Saturday noon. The vet said she had elevated white blood cells, but said they weren't "left shifted" as would be indicated by salmonella. She wanted to see how Taboo would eat at home over the weekend and said I was to get a stool sample and if Taboo wasn't feeling any better we would send it off to test for salmonella. (VERY EXPENSIVE, and they recommend 3 tests!!!!, because sometimes you get false negatives when there are too few salmonella bacteria present.) Thankfully, Taboo is feeling much better now and except for a soft stool and a little mucous, she appears normal. She's snoozing on my lap as I type this.

I did some research and found that when cats eat sick birds and catch salmonella it's called "songbird fever". Apparently salmonella is an interspecies disease. Cats can catch it from birds, humans can catch it from cats, and cats can catch it from humans.

The news story recommended sterlizing bird feeders in a 10% bleach solution, which I am doing as I type, but a website I found also recommended terminating bird feeding for at least a week to disperse the birds. I think the idea is to allow enough time for the infected birds to either die or get well so that you have only healthy birds returning to the feeders when you begin making food available again.

I'm wondering if the salmonella outbreak may have been caused by the salmonella tainted peanut butter that came out of Lynchburg????

So that explains my empty bird feeders in "Today's birds part 3". I haven't put out any fresh seed for several days now and won't until next Tuesday.

Terry

May the force be with you
obywan59 #269315 Mar 17th, 2009 at 03:33 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
Peanut butter seems a likely suspect. I don't eat it much after getting very sick from it many years ago. Salmonella is not the only sort of problem you can get with this food; aflatoxins can also be a problem.

Eternity
stevie_g #269327 Mar 17th, 2009 at 04:58 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I LIVE on peanuts and peanut butter (Gastric Bypass 4 years ago).

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #269336 Mar 17th, 2009 at 05:12 PM
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
Here's a link to an article from Chattanooga.
http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/silence/archives/2009/03/salmonella_caus.shtml

There are now 8 states with reported outbreaks in birds. Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Maryland, and Washington state.

They are saying now that it's not the same strain of salmonella as that from the contaminated peanut butter.

Terry

obywan59 #269339 Mar 17th, 2009 at 05:37 PM
The Jedi
1k Posts
OP Offline
The Jedi
1k Posts
There was also an outbreak of salmonella in birds last October in California, but it appears to winding down.

Vancouver, Canada is reporting an outbreak there also.

Terry

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,878
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image