Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello! I'm new...my first time to visit your site and to post. My husband bought me a beautiful little Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana Entretien for Valentine's Day. It had purple blooms and was just lovely. The blooms are gone, now, so I thought I should get on-line to learn how to care for it. In doing so, I've read about that the Devil's-backbone (Kalanchoe daigremontiana) is poisonous to pets. Does this mean my Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana Entretien is too? I have a house kitty and would hate to have her get into this plant if it is. I sure hope it isn't...but I'm afraid my kitty would have to come first. Please help...I would like to know if I will be able to keep it.

Last edited by PennyCandy; Apr 5th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Pennycandy..... Welcome to the forum wavy

Yes Kalanchoe's are poisonous to cats,, However you can place your Kalanchoe in a place where he/she can't get to it,, I place mine outside in the shade every spring thru fall,,,,, or you can place on a shelf in the house or even on top of the fridge if there is enough light for it,, Indirect light will be enough for inside,,

Kalanchoes tolerate most light levels and they prefer temperatures between 50-70 degrees F. Never allow the plant to stand in water or dry out completely. Usually a once a week watering is sufficient. Water carefully near the bottom of the plant--do not water the leaves-- only the soil. After all the flowers have died, remove the stems and cut back to the second or third leaf below the flowers on the side stems.

, Kalanchoe needs a short day period to bloom again the next December. This means the plant should have NO light from about 5 p.m until morning, starting in September. You can place it in a dark box at 5:00 or a dark closet, but make sure to remove it to a lighted area during the day. Reduce the watering, and keep it in a cool location that stays about 55-65 degrees F, no higher. If you can do this for 6 weeks, there is a good chance it will bloom again for you.

Even tho they like temps 50- 70 I live near Dallas and even in the heat of TX in the summer I still have mine outside,, and it does just fine,, I just don't allow it to dry out and always keep it in the shade,

I have sent you a Private Message,,,,,,, you will see a flashing white envelope click on that and you can retrieve your private message, just "refresh" this page after you read this and the envelope will appear! :wink:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
i just received a Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana Entretien and it just started blooming. how's yours?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,893
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image