Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
My mother was given a Clivia miniata ( Kaffir lily Clivia ) by a friend a couple of years ago. This flower is fairly large and there's several flowers crammed into one little pot. I know this flower likes to have slightly bound roots but at this point, we think it's getting TOO bound (You can see a lot of roots at the top of the pot now). When is the best time to separate? She doesn't want to kill it but we're not sure when the best time is to divide these. I've tried looking it up and the only thing I find is after the spring dormancy but we're not sure when that is for this plant. If someone could give me more specific details on when the best time to do this is, I would be grateful. Thanks!

"I consider the day misspent that I am not either charged with a crime, or arrested for one." -- "Ratsy" Tourbillon
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Has it bloomed yet this year/winter? After the current year's bloom would be best to divide. Mine are outside in the ground and bloom with plenty of space between them. But I have noticed a bi-yearly tendency to bloom in most of them. That could be something I am not giving them though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
No, it hasn't bloomed yet this year. It's not even showing signs of bloom right now. Last year this plant bloomed almost all spring, summer, and autumn. That's why I'm trying to find out now when they need to be divided. If it needs done before bloom, after, or what.

"I consider the day misspent that I am not either charged with a crime, or arrested for one." -- "Ratsy" Tourbillon
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I just don't know whaat to tell you about timing then. The bloom times here in s. Cal are so different from others or what so many consider house plants.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
OP Offline
Well, I appreciate your attempt, thank you. :) Perhaps someone else can give me other answers.

The Man
3k Posts
The Man
3k Posts
I know clivia needs a little 'boost' to help them bloom. Lower light, and a bit cooler temps to help them initiate a blooming spike. If the cool period isn't long enough, the bloom spike will be short, and might bloom without a stalk holding them up (the flowers will bloom right in the middle of the leaves and look like there is no stalk)

[Linked Image]

Helping the world one seed at a time

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. Mary Ann LaPensee
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
OK, I found this
Just a little something on dividing those precious plants.

Rule #1 is to never divide during winter, unless you do not get temperatures of below 15 degrees C. (59 degrees F.). Somehow I do not think that this will happen in the USA. Connected to this is not to divide during extremely hot days (30 C. or 86 F).

*Here in the Midwest and most of the U.S., that would place the time of dividing in the spring after the berries have ripened and before a new flower scape emerges. The side shoot should have at least 5 to 6 leaves. ( If the plant is grown inside you may have to adjust that timing, it should coincide with about the time of new growth and before blooming)

Remove your plant from the container or lift from the garden, taking care not to damage the roots. Take a water hose and rinse all potting medium/soil from the roots. Soak the plant bare rooted in a Superthrive mix (2 drops per litre of water) for at least 2 hours. Then divide the offsets from the mother plant with a sharp knife, again carefull not to damage roots too much. Dust each "wound" thoroughly with something like flowers of sulphur, and let it dry for at least an hour before repotting.

When repotting, ensure that the potting medium is fairly wet beforehand so that you do not need to water immediately. Only water the plants/offsets about 7 days later. This will give the wound the time to heal, and the flowers of sulphur will, other than just protecting the plants from virusses and infections, cause an irritation (not harmful to the plant) which might cause it to sucker again.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, all I researched said to divide in spring after bloom.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,894
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image