Print Thread
Rate Thread
Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Cover them? What do you think? The blueberries are budding out & there are soooo many little raspberry canes popping up everywhere, and last years' (??) canes are fully leafed out. I have "cozy-clotches" I could use on the smaller raspberries plants, and curtains for row covers on the blueberries & (already staked) larger raspberries.

Plus snow in the forecast. Boy am I glad I didn't get some of my veggies in "on time".

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
I know the "ON TIME" really truly is just a guide ....we always get an easter snow so I just have a few things out arugula,chard and spinach but I have them covered over......I covered my strawberries and rhubarb too the days here have been fabulously sunny and they are green and lush already so I just don't want to risk losing any of them ...especially the rhubarb... my wifes granny gave it to me last year and it was only ...so so for the first year but it has spread this year from just 3 little spots to 8 spots so I must have done something right ...lol

Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
well, no one answered my freeze question last night in time, they were all busy talking about other things. No one Answered my post, it's still on the bottom of the page where it sit all night.

Luckly we did not get the freeze they predicted, I did go out and cover a few things (Just had way too many to cover everything) stuff I had staked I put a large trash bag over and weighted it down, other stuff I put buckets and planter pots over. I got out this morning and uincovered everything. I hope winter is over here.

you might try the bags, they did work okay on the stuff I had staked.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012
I take it as a general rule that whenever the television says it will be below 36 that I just cover everything anyways.....it's always safer for me anyway i live along a river in a valley so I can always expect to get some low lying frosty areas even when eveeyone else doesn't......I think if I was really concerned sunny ...as you seem ...you may adopt this rule as well ...Its always better to be safe .....live the boy scout motto ... "BE PREPARED"...lol

Marica Offline OP
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
OP Offline
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
I gambled. I didn't do anything. I don't have anything (veggies) out yet-- still hardening things off. So in the end I figured that the berries either make it or they don't. Plus, I reasoned that they are berries, for crying out loud. If they can't handle a little cold this year on their own, they'll just keep expecting me to pamper them year after year! Tough love.

They look fine today. (Whew!)

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).
Daisy
4k Posts
Daisy
4k Posts
I covered as much as I could last night and just hoped for the best. Everything looks okay toay and the low for tonight is 37

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-
Yard Update -April 2012

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,924
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image