Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272562 Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:01 AM
meha Offline OP
OP Offline
i put my spider plant out side and it got to cold for it i brought it back in but some of the leaves are in bad shape what can i do

mary wiley
meha #272564 Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:17 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome Meha.
I have spider plants growing outside year round here in southern California. They do freeze back on occasion but always come back. You can cut off any frost blackened leaves and continue to give it its regular care. It should come back for you very well. They are actually pretty tough plants and forgiving.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #272565 Apr 5th, 2009 at 10:21 AM
meha Offline OP
OP Offline
thank you i live in missouri and here you never know what the weater is going to be.i also got a new plant i know nothing about the lady that gave it to me didnt know either i heard it was a devilsbackbonei dont know it has stem that are zizzag and the leaves turn white then red any idea. i would put apic of it but i dont know how

mary wiley
meha #272839 Apr 7th, 2009 at 01:31 PM
Hey Meha,
Welcome... We're neighbors! I live here in Kansas. My spider plants seem to do ok after I have forgotten about them, usually when the leaves turn brown, I just leave them in for a few days in front of a nice sunny window, and kinda give it some tlc and it bounces right back, I don't usually take off the browned leaves until they are completely dry and then kind of clean it up a little, but it should be fine, like Tina said, they're pretty hearty tough plants. If yours don't pull through, I have lots of starts I'd be glad to send you if you want to replace it.
Ash

Ashlee #272841 Apr 7th, 2009 at 01:43 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hi Meha!

Diane (angelblossom) has posted a few posts about her devil's backbone.

Here is a link to one of them - I'm sure she can give you more information when she comes on here after work today.

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/245362/Main/8687/#Post245362

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #272872 Apr 7th, 2009 at 04:45 PM
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts

wavy Hi meha! Welcome to the GardenHelper!

You've gotten some sound advice on the spider plant,, They are tough cookies,, I used to live in KS also,, And since KS/MO has the same type of weather,, wellllll Been there Done that! lol
I agree just let the brown ends dry up then snip off and tidy your spider plant up. It will be fine! :wink: thumbup

i also got a new plant i know nothing about the lady that gave it to me didnt know either i heard it was a devilsbackbonei dont know it has stem that are zizzag and the leaves turn white then red any idea. i would put apic of it but i dont know how

Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Hi Meha!

Diane (angelblossom) has posted a few posts about her devil's backbone.

Here is a link to one of them - I'm sure she can give you more information when she comes on here after work today.

//www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/245362/Main/8687/#Post245362

Yep I love the devils back bone meha grin you can click on the Blue Diane's Devil back bone above and see mine.
It will also bloom ~ tho' blooming is rare unless it's planted in the ground year round which can't happen in MO unfortunately, OR Very very very mature,, It can take years for a DBB to bloom inside and I'm Still waiting,, tapfoot lol
IT makes a nice house plant,, and a nice patio plant in your spring and summer,,,, Give it dappled shade or morning sun afternoon shade. Allow soil to dry slightly between waterings. Don't allow soil to dry out completely because it will start dropping leaves.
Bight light(inside) helps retain red tips; avoid contact with milky sap if you break off or intentionally cut off a piece of the plant ,, the milky sap can be toxic,
Here is a picture of the Bloom

[Linked Image]
BTW you can post pictures BY Uploading from your computer into a Picture site .. most of us use Photobucket(FREE) and copy and paste the IMAGINE line to your post grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,876
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image