Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272847 Apr 7th, 2009 at 02:52 PM
OP Offline
Hello,

Well, I've taken a look at some of the previous Jade related posts, and some of the pictures seem very similar to my own, except that my brown spots don't start off as speckled. I'm attaching 2 photos for reference.

I bought 2 young jade plants just over a year ago, and potted them together. This is my very 1st houseplant(s). I keep them on a bedside table, that often gets light filtered through bamboo curtains. On sunny days, I move the pot against the window to receive some direct sunlight, and usually open the window above to allow fresh air in (through a screen). Some days I'll put one side of the pot facing the window, other days I'll expose the other side. The soil is an arrid mix, and dries out fairly quickly. I don't water it any more often than every 2 weeks. Every 2 or 3 months I give it a tiny amount of 10-15-10 Schultz fertilizer. The fertilizer is an old bottle I got from my mother... and seems to be a darkish murky brown colour.

I've dealt with this browning of the leaves for the last year. Sometimes it's only a mild spot on a leaf, and doesn't spread further. Sometimes it has spread and the leaf starts to shrivel. Recently, its started spreading again, and has appeared on new leaves. The problem seems to be isolated to some of the leaves along one single side of the pot, leading me to wonder if it may have something to do with a particular day(s) of sunbathing/sunburning? The browning is only ever on the top of the leaves... never the bottom, even as it worsens and shrivels.

I'll have to cut these leaves off, I'm sure. But I would like to know if this is my own fault somehow (sunburn, overwater, etc), or if it's something else like pests or fungus... and what I should do to solve/avoid the problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1k Posts
1k Posts
I had the same problem with my jade recently, top leaves as well. I ended up cutting it back and now new ones are growing FAST. It seems they're popping up right before my eyes. But I never did find out what caused the brown leaves.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
OP Offline
Ya... I stopped putting the jade on the windowsill for the entire afternoon... choosing to leave it in the indirect sunlight and periodically only a short time on the windowsill... and the brown spots have not gotten any worse, since. The plant seems otherwise healthy. I suspect it was just sunburn. (shrugs)

Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
it's most probably sunburn from being put into direct sunlight with no ease-in period.

it's best to find a spot and leave the plant there (any kind, not just jades) because moving them back/forth all the time causes stress. and jades (and ficus benjamina) can be VERY finicky when their conditions change (will pout and drop leaves like crazy), so it's best to just leave them where they are.

jades do okay in indirect lighting. they will do MUCH better in full sun, though, so, if you want to ease it into the position in front of the window, do so. once it's there, leave it. you can rotate the container though - a quarter around every couple weeks and that will keep it from growing funky (crooked).

you're watering routine sounds perfect.

i WOULD get rid of the old fertilizer, though. get a new container as what you have is probably too old to actually be providing anything useful.

Zone 6b
1k Posts
1k Posts
Joclyn, I had to cut my jade down to where there were no leaves just left the stems in place. Most of my leaves were getting more of that rust color and I was too disappointed in how it looked. Since then my jade has taken off, sprouting new leaves on all the stems. It's coming back in full force it seems. So never give up completely on a plant.

[Linked Image]

Kindness is a language the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
i'm glad your jade is recuperating, rosepetal!!

you're absolutely correct about not giving up on a plant - especially when it's something you've had for a while and are sure has a good root system. with a well-established root system, most plants will not only survive a severe pruning, most will actually thrive afterwards.

Zone 6b
Giggles
20k Posts
Giggles
20k Posts
I keep wanting to post in the Jade topics because I have such a healthy Jade which I have had for 3 or 4 years, but feel that I may not have anything productive to add. My jade happens to not mind whereever I put her, she is just happy living here.
I have never fertilized or fed, and I have repotted up to the next size; topped out one stem and replanted it which is also thriving; took off a bottom leaf and stuck it in some dirt and now have two darling babies. I water the Jades once a week, but if I forget I notice that the leaves thin ad dimple. When that happens I water and they plump right back and smooth out.
When I put her in the direct sun I love the lovely red color the sun gives to the edges and underside of leaves. I saw a picture once of a whole bunch of Jade growing in a hot valley between two hill sides and they were all mostly bright red. Very pretty. That does not seem to be the same as a sun burn.

But, having said that, let me offer this:

When I water I make sure that I never get any water on the leaves, and if I accidentally do, I wipe it off immediately. I assume that water would cause damage to the leaves if left standing on them.
I also keep a new makeup brush near by and dust each leaf whenever I see dust starting to settle on them. If their pores get clogged with dust they could starve for oxygen, I guess.
Those are about the only two things I haven't noticed being mentioned in the Jade topics, which I am particular about, so I hope this will be a couple of good tips for all Jade owners.

Since I had never taken care of a Jade before I have just learned as I go, so I feel very fortunate to have such happy Jade plants...I LOVE my Jades better than all my other plants! :)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I Love Virginia!"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,313
Posts240,948
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image