Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#273680 Apr 11th, 2009 at 12:31 PM
OP Offline
I am hoping that someone with a little more gardening experience can answer a few questions about companion planting. Every year, my vegetable garden is infested with aphids, and there doesn’t seem to be any easy fix for the problem. I’m hoping to try some companion planting this year as a sort of scientific experiment, and I could use a little advice. Internet sources are unreliable with conflicting information, so here goes.

I want to plant some nasturtiums, but I have heard two completely opposite reasons for why this helps to control aphids. Some sources suggest that nasturtiums repel the aphids, keeping them away from the tomatoes. Other sources suggest the exact opposite, that the flowers actually attract the aphids as a trap crop. Still another source suggests that the color of the flower determines whether the plant attracts or repels the aphids. Can anyone make any sense of this?

Two years ago I planted a marigold border around the tomatoes, which seemed to help a little, but this may be attributed to the sudden increase in daddy long legs (harvesters). Apparently they really like the marigolds because I’ve never seen so many in my garden before. I’m thinking about planting the nasturtiums in an area near the tomatoes but not right next to them if the flowers attract aphids. However, if the flowers repel aphids, then I would want to plant a border similar to the marigolds. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
I believe we ALL can relate to getting swamped with internet info that is either contradictory, opinionated, or just partial info.
I don't know anything about nasturtiums. maybe they grow better where you are than where I am, or maybe it's a plant I need to look into getting!?! interesting! Marigolds are considered your garden 'work horse'. they are an all around great companion plant! I've read they also put nutrients back into the soil? don't really understand that, but I'm sure I read it somewhere.
butterfly weed is wonderful for apid prob. (someone should be around shortly to give the exact name of that plant - butterfly weed is the common name) in the case of butterfly weed. that plant attracts the apids which in turns attracts lady bugs (your good bugs)
there is a certain type of wasp that lay eggs in the tomato horn worm. I can't identify that wasp by site, so I leave all wasps nest be that are anywhere near my garden.

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
OP Offline
I am in the inland Pacific Northwest (US), which has a short growing season. I've never had any problems with any pests except for aphids and stink bugs. As you suggested, I am planning to include some plants that will attract predatory wasps. My plan for attracting the wasps is to plant some dill, which will double as a main ingredient for my pickling cucumbers. I haven't heard of butterfly weed, but I will definitely look it up. Lady bugs and green lacewings show up every year but not in great enough numbers to have much of an effect. Does the butterfly weed attract any butterflies? That would be a big bonus.

Fencer
3k Posts
Fencer
3k Posts
Originally Posted by TomatoAddict
Does the butterfly weed attract any butterflies? That would be a big bonus.

thumbup Yes, it is a favorite of the monarch! I should have mentioned that. notme

Cricket

Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. ~Russel Baker
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
butterfly weed is Aesclepius Tuberosa (sp?)
It attracts a lot of butterflies and wasps. Echinacea (purple coneflower) is great for attracting butterflies and wasps, so is Achillea, cosmos, penta, zinnia. I've noticed that aphids always show up on my sunflowers, and hundreds of ladybugs show up to eat them.

dave
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Chives is a good companion plant for tomatoes to deter aphids.

Last edited by papito; Apr 12th, 2009 at 11:04 AM.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,890
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image