Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#272916 Apr 7th, 2009 at 09:28 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
My hubby bought me a orchid for Valentines Day and it was in bloom. No new blooms have come up since then and I am wondering if I should prune it? Do you prune ochids? If not what can I do to make it bloom again?

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #272918 Apr 8th, 2009 at 04:05 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
have you fertilized it?

Sometimes it is the matter of how much light it is getting.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #272942 Apr 8th, 2009 at 06:39 AM
I tried to prune my orchid... after the blooms died. Now the whole stem is begining to die. Any suggestions?????? It gets plenty of light and I've fertilized it (mom hurried up and bought the fertilizer). Now the same is happening to mom's plant. I don't have much of a green thumb and mom is not exactly going to be taking care of her plants for a while... so any suggestions will be very much appreciated. I'd rather not kill 2 $20 plants....

-Val

tkhooper #272975 Apr 8th, 2009 at 01:35 PM
Eva Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by tkhooper
have you fertilized it?

Sometimes it is the matter of how much light it is getting.

No, I haven't yet I wanted to find out what I should do first.. The poor little thing came with no instructions... I will go get some right away.
Do you think I should re-pot it? Maybe some more soil? Thanks, guys.

[Linked Image]
~Believing in God for a miracle~

The sunshine is calling me, the dirt says come and play, the little seeds yawn for a nap, the weeds yell go away!
Eva #272980 Apr 8th, 2009 at 02:26 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I am not an orchid expert, but a friend gave me some, and here is what I've learned about them:

They only bloom once a year, and sometimes they may miss a year, depending on what stage they are at. In Oz, they bloom in late spring to early summer. They require very good drainage, as they don't like wet feet. Over time, they will multiply, and you need to split the bulb thingys, and leave some roots on each, and re-pot them in orchid mix, which is like bark chips, not potting mix.

Hope this is some help.

Eternity
stevie_g #273054 Apr 8th, 2009 at 08:30 PM
Little Babe
2k Posts
Little Babe
2k Posts
Orchids need to be potted in an orchid mix of some sort. Either spaghnum moss or a mix you can buy specifically for orchids. I have great success with mine. I don't prune. Once blooms die off of one stem I let the stem die away itself naturally. I keep their pots sitting down in a shallow dish with rocks and marbles in it. After I water the actual plant, I pour about 1/4 inch of water into the dish also. The plant will pull up the water as it needs it. As far as how to make them bloom, I have no idea. But they can bloom more than once a year. My larger phal orchid has had constant blooms for well over 2 years now. My smaller one (formerly Mommy's that I stole) has had blooms constantly for the past 10 or more months. Honestly, I think my outcome with them is just luck.

Good luck to you. They are truly beautiful plants. Definitely my favorite. I hope it decides to bloom for you again soon.

[Linked Image]

Rachel

(the new and improved Mrs. rachelc)

If you never have you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
rachelp #273097 Apr 9th, 2009 at 03:04 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I see. Maybe it depends on the type of orchid. Mine bloomed just once, but the flowers lasted for quite some time. I read Dodge writing about her orchids, and they bloom without much attention. They certainly seem to be hardy plants. Recently I split mine, and wasn't really sure how to do it, but they survived the experience quite well, and I gave one to my neighbours. I think you are right to let the stem die away naturally.

Eternity
stevie_g #273336 Apr 9th, 2009 at 09:01 PM
My husband got one while in the hospital a year ago. I just put it in the west window and made sure it has water once a week. It has put on double blooms twice this year. So far it is looking good.

atokadawn #273396 Apr 10th, 2009 at 03:09 AM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I am now thinking that mine may be only blooming once a year because they are outside- they are following the seasons. Maybe if I brought some in, they would keep blooming.

Eternity
stevie_g #274013 Apr 12th, 2009 at 05:39 PM
Oooohhhh LOL! Mom and I thought the plants were dying, but it was just the stems from the previous blooms dying off as they should! So I suppose that we are caring for them correctly. Thanks for the advice!!
Valarie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,892
Average Daily Posts2
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image